Ultra Runners

New Year's One Day or Across the Years? (Read 82 times)

bhearn

Anyone have any opinions? New Year's One Day is local (SF), so I'm leaning that way... but ATY seems to have a bigger party atmosphere. I imagine both are fast courses, though the ATY CR is much higher (145 vs 127). This will be my first 24-hour, though I've done five 100s (and three 12-hours). I'm looking to run 200K+, 130M if all goes well.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

After watching it online last year, I'd love to do ATY.

Sorry, that's all I've got.  Good luck either way!

steph  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

ATY's very intriguing but I work retail and getting time off would be tough at that time of year. Definitely not this year but if I plan far enough ahead, next year might be a possibility.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

A certain recently sponsored runner is running the 24hr (starting on the 28th) at ATY.

It seems most ultrarunners I know from the SE are running Wildcat 100 around a track in Fl. Race distance up to 48hours, if you're open to traveling that far.

bhearn

A certain recently sponsored runner is running the 24hr (starting on the 28th) at ATY.

Yes indeed. I ran a couple miles with him on Thanksgiving, two days before his announcement. He asked me a few questions about Western States, but didn't spill the beans. He keeps secrets very well.

It seems most ultrarunners I know from the SE are running Wildcat 100 around a track in Fl. Race distance up to 48hours, if you're open to traveling that far.

Most ultrarunners I know are from the NW; they will mostly be at ATY, as well as at least one from Georgia. (I can't see a way to get an entrants' list for NY One Day; it's not on ultrasignup.) But I want to run on the 31st, so I wouldn't be seeing Stevie Ray (or many of my friends) at ATY anyway. I'm thinking convenience is probably going to win out here.

Imminent Catastrophe

Totally different atmosphere, NYOD is a nice small race with great scenery. ATY is The Show. Did ATY last year and really enjoyed it. 100 mile PR by a long way. Great organization, atmosphere and company. Of course it's a different crowd this year and no Yiannis, Fejes or Wrigley so far as I can tell. But then you have SRL. ATY is one of those that you must do once (if you want to do a 24).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

rlopez

Ask Jess about One Day.  She ran it a few years ago.  She can give you the skinny you seek.

bhearn

I went with NY One Day.

Next question. What year do I count this race under? Hmmm.

rlopez

As it starts at 9a, the majority is on 12/31.  So count it for 2014.  Official answer.

Ok, I'm being a dick on purpose.

But that would be my logic when choosing for myself.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Robert Lopez
                      24 Hour

Place: 3
                      Gender Place: 2M
                      Time: 21:01:23

Miles: 96.58
                      KM: 155.43

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

bhearn

Done at 100.78 miles, 22:02. There is some confusion as to whether he was in the lead. He says yes; results show one guy ahead of him.

Looks like there were 4 people with same mileage. He reached that mileage 2nd fastest. USA AG female record was faster than all of them to date. Not sure if they do places across all the 24 hr races or just by day. (I haven't looked to see how many 24 hr races there ar. )

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                          wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I believe they combine the results of the 5 24-hour races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

rlopez

Correct, they aggregate all the results.  While I could have continued and probably scored 107-108 miles, I wasn't really that into it.  No way would that mileage hold up for a "win" over all the days.  I wanted to see how fast I could hit 101 (close enough) and I was REALLY COLD.

When I stopped on my last lap, the little screen listed that I was in first.  I had previously noticed that I was third and then second. I did not check for other people... I thought I was in first.  I thought winning guy was right behind me.  No matter.  They combine all the days.  22:02 is not blowing the doors off anything, but it was good for me.  And I destroyed four pairs of socks in the process.  That course is this weird sand grit. Not a fan.

bhearn

22:02 is a pretty sweet 100M PR. Congratulations.