Ultra Runners

Desert Solstice 24-hour coverage (Read 62 times)

Irunfar still has made no mention of American and World records going down this weekend. It is mind boggling.

+1.  They do great work on most events but sometimes it seems like they go out of the way to ignore certain events especially in the Midwest.

Uh oh... now what?

Irunfar still has made no mention of American and World records going down this weekend. It is mind boggling.

This has been (is still) interesting.  A bit of conversation here.  Initial excitement, but a quick death of interest on the ultralist.  A few of the Facebook groups had mention, but little interest beyond one or two OMGs and so on.  No mention on the USATF at all, period--none, and they should have a vested interest (there is still a championship, isn't there?).

Runner's World did get in a blurb:  http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/pam-smith-sets-world-record-hellgate-100k-comes-down-to-sprint

An almost discussion took place in, of all places, letsrun.com -- it had the usual hate-filled ignorance, but some of the defenders of ultras being actual running seem to be gaining strength.

I suppose any thing I say about UltraRunning will be taken as a sour grapes issue, but they relegated their coverage to links to a picture and very few words.

My general displeasure is offset by three wonderful history of ultrarunning sort of books and a brand new one (by Andy Milroy).

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Kalsarikännit

+1.  They do great work on most events but sometimes it seems like they go out of the way to ignore certain events especially in the Midwest.

They made no mention of Bitter being the first person to go sub-5:14 in the 50 mile in over 30 years. They defended themselves by saying that they tweeted something. Not the same. Any decent trail race and they have video of interviews with every rock and tree on the course. I like the work they do most of the time, but this is ridiculous.

John, I looked at LR. And then, once again, I asked myself why I do such a thing. Same old crap of, "my slow D-3 teammates could beat that".  I need to win the powerball then hire someone to slap me whenever I go on LR's message boards.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

TripleBock

I did poke them at irunfar moments ago.  Here was his almost immediate response

Michael,

We repeatedly reported on the happenings on Twitter and Facebook over the weekend. We also have race reports coming from both Zach and Pam. Here on iRunFar don't simply throw up a stump news article with nothing to add to the story. Sorry if that doesn't work for you.

Happy trails,
          Bryon

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

My reponse was I do not go on Facebook or Twitter, so all I see is what they write about.

Kalsarikännit

Happy trails

Heh. There you go.

Kalsarikännit

Here on iRunFar don't simply throw up a stump news article with nothing to add to the story. 

Two stories below the one that Nick Coury wrote: "U.S. Skyrunning series announced".

Okey-dokey.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Here on iRunFar don't simply throw up a stump news article with nothing to add to the story. Sorry if that doesn't work for you.

Happy trails,

Quite a snotty response.  

steph  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Odd considering RW had an article on it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I sent them my thoughts again.  I had sent them feedback after ignoring Zach's 50 mile performance and they sent me the "we tweeted about it" email.  Maybe Bryon doesn't understand that a one line tweet isn't the same as an article?  I know it can be confusing.

Wrigs, maybe you can send him a nice card?

Kalsarikännit

Wrigs, maybe you can send him a nice card?

Breaking records takes desire and pluck

Getting it reported requires even more luck

Road inclusion lacks

Same with the tracks

Sadly, your coverage sucks.

Feeling the growl again

Road inclusion lacks

Same with the tracks

Well played.

And yeah, as for visiting LR.com, I'll give you the first couple smacks for free.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Uh oh... now what?

bhearn

TripleBock

I agree completely ~ But I do not think he is snooty or trying to be an ass or something.  I think he is a decent person and generally cares.  I also think he has no passion for anything that is not trails, so he tends to focus on what he loves and everything else gets second billing.  Most of the people that write for him share his similar passion for trails and caring very little for events that are not trails.  Of course when there is something very significant somewhere else other than trails, he will give it a small amount coverage and usually get a decent "Race report" from the people.

I think he actually gives it more coverage and passion than the world he lives in and around cares for.  Just like I feel there is way too many articles and stories about stuff that I am not passionate about.

Overall the ultra-world is a better place with irunfar around.  Some coverage is better than none.  I do not begrudge him be passionated and slanted to trail ultras.  But I still agree the coverage sucks.  But then getting a great race report from Zach was awesome.

Road inclusion lacks

Same with the tracks