Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 (Read 1194 times)

Kalsarikännit

I'm disappointed to see that Jamie Donaldson is done.  She is a trooper.  I hope she is ok.

Also, forget all the RA'ers...my favorite runner out there?  "Fast Eddie" Rousseau.  He is over 70 years old and entertaining as hell to race with.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

On On

db left.  murph is on and off the track.

Kalsarikännit

Any updates, Rick?  I'm getting twitchy.  Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Any updates, Rick?  I'm getting twitchy.  Big grin

Rick's been posting the results at this link. Race is concluded and the totals are complete save for the partial (last) lap.

It appears that three ladies broke 120-miles and four men surpasssed 135-miles.

Philip McCarthy
          USATF M40
          23:56:43
          Jonathan Savage
          USATF M45
          23:56:32
          Kai Horschig
          M45
          23:53:40
          Connie Gardner
          USATF F45
          23:53:05
          Harvey Lewis
          USATF M OPEN
          23:59:59
          Byron Lane
          USATF M40
          23:53:03
          Debra Horn
          USATF F50
          23:55:00
          Serge Arbona
          USATF M45
          23:59:59
          Volodymyr Balatsky
          M40
          23:52:33
          Lisa Bliss
          USATF F40
          23:50:33

Nice to meet HasherRick, his wife, DB and murphy late last night.

DB dropped when he said that 135 was unlikely base on his then current pace. He decided not to destroy himself and save it for another day. I'm sure he'll report more about his run.

It was great meeting you too rails. Rick, Thanks for the encouragement throughout. Db was great, he always shouted out to me when he passed. I will probably attempt to write a report. There were definitely many ups and downs. I was walking after hour 3 almost 100 percent of the time. Bit I got a second wind when the sun went down..and came back from the dead from 5:30 to 9. Thanks to my awesome crew.

Nice job Murphy!  DB, sorry to hear you had to drop but I can only imagine how you are going to kill it at your next race.

Holy Crap, Connie Gardner 144!!!  What is the US female record?

I think it must be really close. She was completely spent' and people were pushing her to go harder up til the very last lap.

Holy Crap, Connie Gardner 144!!!  What is the US female record?

Sue Ellen Trapp (145.28 miles, 1993)

Based on the posted results, it appears Connie fell just short again. She ran 145.25 in 2007, coming within meters of of the mark. She's come so close.

Hashed Rick may know..but on the last lap they give you blocks that you drop and I think you get credit to the previous 10th..I wonder if this # backed her upor is a true distance.

Good job sticking it out, Murphy. I've walked way too friggin' much before too. Sucks. Way to pull it out.

DB, hate to hear it wasn't your day.

And WG, where were you???

On On

Hashed Rick may know..but on the last lap they give you blocks that you drop and I think you get credit to the previous 10th..I wonder if this # backed her upor is a true distance.

Connie and friends created this race to give her an opportunity to break the American record that she came so close to getting back at Ultra Centric. 

She has attempted to break the record every year at North Coast 24 (09, 10 and 11).  This year she was on pace through about 20.5 - 21 hours when she got a little stomach trouble.  She took some time to puke on the side of the path and had to walk a few minutes the next two laps.  If you look at her splits she has three laps of over 12 minutes in a row.  After this episode she was able to recover and get back out there at full pace but was never able to make up the extra minutes to break the record.  It was apparent even with two hours left that she was not going to get it.  They kept pushing her for at least an hour but her times were not getting low enough to make up the time.  She still raced until the end and did very well, but she knew the record was out of reach a couple hours before the end of the race.

Connie and friends created this race to give her an opportunity to break the American record that she came so close to getting back at Ultra Centric. 

She has attempted to break the record every year at North Coast 24 (09, 10 and 11).  This year she was on pace through about 20.5 - 21 hours when she got a little stomach trouble.  She took some time to puke on the side of the path and had to walk a few minutes the next two laps.  If you look at her splits she has three laps of over 12 minutes in a row.  After this episode she was able to recover and get back out there at full pace but was never able to make up the extra minutes to break the record.  It was apparent even with two hours left that she was not going to get it.  They kept pushing her for at least an hour but her times were not getting low enough to make up the time.  She still raced until the end and did very well, but she knew the record was out of reach a couple hours before the end of the race.

Thanks for sharing this info.  What an amazing athlete she is and what an effort to keep pushing herself.

So all I could find on the 3rd place male was a 40th place finish at last years Spartathlon in 33 hours.  I bet he's kicking himself for not joining the USATF ahead of time.  If the distance holds up for at large can this race still qualify him for Poland or do you need to be a member when you run the qualifying distance?

DB - Sorry it wasn't your day.  I'm sure that was a tough call for you to back off and save it.  (when you get a chance if you could spell out what this does to the team for worlds that would be great.  All I know is that Mr. McCarthy and Mr. Savage are in.)

Murphy - Nice work!  Way to keep moving.

MTA - How crowded was this race?  186 runners with vastly different paces and starting and stopping on a 1 mile path sounds pretty crazy.

I don't think it was too crowded..but the competitive runners may have a different take. Also a lot of runners had specific mileage goals and just ran to that point- or took breaks overnight. I know that was the case because I was probably the slowest runner on the track for a few hours overnight and i was still moving up the rankings.
                                I believe the 3rd place male is German..hence no USATF membership.