Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 (Read 1194 times)

On On

Rick- not sure when you're arriving in town. I thought you should know that a couple local breweries, as well as your namesake (McNulty's Bier Markt) is only about 1.5 miles (as the crow flies) from NC24. Great Lakes Brew Co., Market Garden Brewing, and the Bier Markt are all in Ohio City nearby. Will you be around to enjoy?

Not sure when I am coming into town.  Due to my own child care restrictions I may not be able to get on the road as soon as I would like.

If you are coming by Sat night stop by and say hi.  Not sure if I will have hit McNulty's or not but it looks like a great bar.  Maybe either Jenn (my wife) or I will have to sneak out for a growler to bring back.

On On

Hasher Rick keeps freaking me out.  I can only run what I can run 140-145 at best and he keeps adding these superstar names -  It's about 50/50 wether a non-24 ultra super star can put a good 24 together.

Based on the few 24 hour races I have been to or timed I'd agree that a new comer has a 50/50 chance.  It is a different animal to keep going in circles versus point to point.  Some runners can adapt (or even like it) others can't stand it. 

I wonder if more people would qualify with other certified point to point courses.  Would a 10, 12, 15, 20 mile loop work better for others?  And if you are going to certify a 20 mile loop (or marathon loop) you would know where the mile markers are and can stop the runner with in  mile of their total distance.

But don't you think that the best athlete to represent the USA would be the athlete that did best in a comparable race?

DoppleBock

I have done FANS24 - a 4 KM loop - That is the furthest I would want to do a 24 hour loop race.  I think 1 mile is almost perfect - maybe 1.5 miles.  The great thing about short loops is the access to aide and crew.

I do think our format is great - The traditional format

3 from US champ Race

3 from at large races

Us champs race = perform on demand

3 at large = perform as it fits into your schedule

Often you will find #3 and even #2 from the US champs race would not have made the team based on "At Large" distance.  But the perform on demand is more like the World Champs race so that fits well + We want to bring excitement and great competition to the US champs race, so that fits.

In the future it will be

1)  Top 10 finish from previous years Worlds (0-6 spots)

2)  Top 2 at US champs race (as long as their are slots open from #1) (0-2 spots)

3)  At large open - For all remaining slots (0-4 spots)

I would rather see this read

1)  Top 10 finish from perviouse years Worlds - max 3 people (0-3 spots)

2)  Top 2 at US champs race (as long as their are slots open from #1) (2 spots)

3)  At large open - For all remaining slots (1-4 spots)

But don't you think that the best athlete to represent the USA would be the athlete that did best in a comparable race?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

If 2011 World race had happened this would have been the men's field

Automatic (top 3 @ US champs race)

<colgroup> <col width="64" /> <col width="91" /> <col width="64" /></colgroup>
          Serge Arbona 156.49
          Phil McCarthy 139.26
          Nick Coury 136.13

At Large

Scott Jurek 165.7
          Michael Henze 154.48
          Mike Morton 153.89

Left out in the cold

Brian Krogmann 140.1
          John Geesler 139.4
          Dan Rose   139.23

Phil also had 151 for at large 

DoppleBock

If 2011 Worlds would have happened this would have been the Women

Automatic - Top 3 @ US Champs

Connie Gardner 141.42
            Anne Riddle Lundbla 133.13
            Anna Piskorska 129.11

Next 3 at Large

Susan Bohn  137.78
            Jamie Donaldson 136.98
            Jill Perry   136.3

Left out in the cold

Amy Palmiero-Winters 130.04
            Annette Bednoski 129.6
            Deb Horn   129.13

DoppleBock

For me the 24 hour race - A pavement race is so destructive to my body I can only do 1 good one per year.  So the timing of NorthCoast in September has never fit well into my year - It should have this year - But I blew that.

So next year if I would happen to Qualify at FANS24 or 3 Days at Fair - I will not be able to perform as well as I could as they are too close (For me) to Worlds.

jjameson

This 24 hour stuff is interesting.  No way I would ever have considered it in the past but I find it intriquing.  Maybe I'll do a 12 hour next year and see how it is.

Good luck to all, I wish I could see it and help out.

Joe

Not sure when I am coming into town.  Due to my own child care restrictions I may not be able to get on the road as soon as I would like.

If you are coming by Sat night stop by and say hi.  Not sure if I will have hit McNulty's or not but it looks like a great bar.  Maybe either Jenn (my wife) or I will have to sneak out for a growler to bring back.

Will do. I will arrive after nightfall and will make sure to say hello.

If there's anything you need, such as directions etc., let me know. I can meet Friday, too.

Kalsarikännit

I predict the man who will have a break out 24 at NC24 (If it is true he is in) - Zach Gingeriech - I believe Zach has a big one in him and I also think he thrives on competition - When he ran FANS24 and Cornbelt 24 - There was no one for him to beat - So he won, but did not break out.

Zach says he has only been running 40 mile weeks since BW135.  He said he is going to run 70-100 miles and try to catch the second half of the OSU game.  He is from Cleveland and used to run this course in high school, so it is kind of funny that he is coming back to run a long race there.

I never believe his sandbagging bs, so he my have a good race.  Plus he will have support there, which will help him.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Has it turned out that this is a rounded number from 99999.999% 

I am 100000 percent there.

I'm starting to get my stuff together? any tips on stuff that I'm likely to forget?

Bringing plenty of socks, band aids, body glide, long sleeves, short sleeves--and sweatshirts..and running pants, a folding chair.

Still working on what I need to bring with me for nutrition. Looks like they will have most of what I like--so other than my Electrolyte Stamina, Im not quite sure what I will need.

Here's my tentative plan to try to get 100 miles. It's really pie in the sky given my current fitness..but I plan to keep up the pace as long as possible.

Im breaking the day into 3 hour chunks. Tentatively--here's my plan..

Hours 1-3 14 miles (5,4,5) total 14 miles

Hours 4-6 12 miles (4,4,4) total 26 miles

Hours 7-9 14 miles (5,4,5) total 40 miles

Hours 10-12 12 miles (4,4,4) total 52 miles

Hours 13-15 14 miles (4,4,4) total 64 miles

Hours 16-18 12 miles (4,4,4) total 76 miles

Hours 19-21 12 miles (4,4,4) total 88 miles

Hours 22-24 12 miles (4,4,4) total 100 miles

I'll probably lose it somewhere in there. I just want to keep pace as long as possible. I know I can put myself through some torture..If I make it on pace through hour 12, I dont think I will do pretty well. Thoughts? Would I be better off starting at 12mm pace for a longer period and allow myself to go slower later on?

DoppleBock

Pepto

Imodium

headlamp - If you want to use the on course porta-johns in the dark

cooler with ice

sunblock

hat (to block sun)

gloves (light)

yes a folding chair - Them damn camping chairs are too hard to get back out of

more than 1 pair of shoes - I will bring 4 or 5 (In case of Rain)

Safety pins of some way to pop blisters

Duck Tape - Part of 1st aide kits

Nipple tape

big jar of vasoline

My usatf membership card

Music x 2 MP3 players and 2 sets of headphones

Caffiene - I have 5 hour energy (Never have used) Coca Cola and Mt Dew

a mixing bottle for my crew (For endurox)

2 handhelds - Hand me h20 to go

a notebook for my DW (Crew) to keep notes on how things unfolded

extra pair of shorts (I have had draw string break)

3 short sleave race shirts and 2 long sleave - Sometimes I can not stand my own stink

I bring diffrerent foods just in case

*  bananas

* PB&J

* Ham & Cheese

* Pop tarts 

And a big fat badass attitude!

I'm starting to get my stuff together? any tips on stuff that I'm likely to forget?

Bringing plenty of socks, band aids, body glide, long sleeves, short sleeves--and sweatshirts..and running pants, a folding chair.

Still working on what I need to bring with me for nutrition. Looks like they will have most of what I like--so other than my Electrolyte Stamina, Im not quite sure what I will need.

jjameson

(I have had draw string break)

I've never had this happen!

You'll ruin your knees!

I've never had this happen!

Never happens at a good time!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)