Ultra Runners

Advice about cramping (Read 178 times)

Ojo

I have a question about a cramping problem I have experienced during 2 50ks.  I have had issues in the past (mainly in road marathons) with calf cramping but during more technical races I have had severe cramping in my inner left thigh muscle.  In both races it occurred during climbs and it was quite painful.  I managed to walk it off and took a few s caps but it scared me.  Since I do not do a lot of trail running/racing do you think it might be just from the climbing?  Is this something that gets better with experience or am I just dealing with a nutritional/electrolyte problem.

Thanks for the advice.  I am hoping to run Mountain Madness (NJ) in September and Bimbler's Bluff (CT) in October.

Sara

MM #2929

I cramp up in almost every road marathon I race.  It ranges from calf to quad/hamstring.  Not sure what it is about the marathon, because it doesn't happen for anything less and it hasn't happened for any longer distances either.  I am fairly sure it is not electrolytes or fueling, and I have done some googling and it seems like no one really knows what causes cramps during endurance events. 

My guess if your cramping is localized to a specific area that it probably indicates a muscle weakness.  It's very likely that it only comes out when you are racing.  Maybe work on strengthening the inner thigh, or do more training on similar courses to work those muscles. 

Ojo

My guess if your cramping is localized to a specific area that it probably indicates a muscle weakness.  It's very likely that it only comes out when you are racing.  Maybe work on strengthening the inner thigh, or do more training on similar courses to work those muscles. 

Thank you.  That's what I was thinking.  Luckily I have several months to work on this.

Sara

MM #2929