Ultra Runners

April 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 40 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

hey all. just wrapped-up my week starting a new April topic. 60.5M 3215' vert. lots of medium legnth stuff but lots of variety of terrain and speed. i struggle with when they say: "make easy days easy" but then in the next sentence say "mix in tempo and speedwork and strides and hills etc etc". i mean i know this is why some have strict plans well im saying, for me, well: feck that. ill mix in whatever i feel like doing. i have a much better sense of when i am close to injury than anyone else...especially someone who runs 2Tight lippedx marathons because they are probably a different species from me. anyway i want my runs to mimick anything that couple happen in an ultra. eat while running. dont eat before running. always eat after running. run fast, go slow. walk every time i am out but walk with purpose! go up hills fast and slow, and downhills. run barefoot on the pitch just a little, not too much. mix up workouts. occasionally mix hills and speed in the same session just because i feel like it.

88k april 14th. road tripping to AZ so there will be a lot of taper. it's going to be challenging to keep my muscle tension & drive that much. here's a new topic: altitude. how do you acclimate? do you have a strategy for this?

happy Easter & peace to everyone!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Welcome to April.  Thanks for starting us off, Funky.

I know we just started spring but it already feels like summer here.  Heck, even summer isn't this hot.  It was 83* yesterday at my 25k trail race in San Jose, CA.  I wilted.  Lots of hills, lots of walking.  About 3500' of climbing.  Finished in 3:41.  Another 10 miles today.  Didn't run too much this week otherwise, have had a touch of bronchitis for a few days and I was hoping it would pass.  I guess I'll find out soon if running this weekend was a good idea or bad idea.  Totals for the week: 35.3 miles, 5500' elevation gain.

Have the Napa 50k on April 7th.   Weather forecast calls for a big fat rainstorm in Napa on Saturday.  

QOTD re altitude: I am interested in this topic too, since Tahoe Rim Trail 50 ranges from 7000' to 9000'.  One theory I've heard is that either you need to acclimate for at least a week, or don't bother trying to acclimate.  Going up to altitude for just a couple of days before a race means that your body will have started trying to acclimate, but isn't there yet, and you will feel like crap when you're racing.  Thus, it's better to get there right before the race and run before your body is in the throes of acclimating.  I've no idea if this is true, just one theory that I've heard.  Anyone with experience on this?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Meanwhile there's a possibility of snow here overnight. Still struggling with heel soreness that's restricting my miles and number of days I can run. I didn't bother signing up for the Naked Bavarian which was this weekend and at this time am not planning any prep races before D3 50K in May. I offered to give up my spot if the RD needed room for runners on the wait list, but everyone on the wait list wants in the 24-hour. My revised training schedule of running mostly every other day seems to be working, or at least helping, as my heel hardly bothered me today. Now if I can just increase those runs from 5-6 miles to 10-12 miles, I'd feel a lot more confident about finishing my 50K before the 12-hour runners start at 7:00 pm.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

I know we just started spring but it already feels like summer here.  Heck, even summer isn't this hot.  

Meanwhile I'm over here like I know we just started spring but it already feels like winter here. Yesterday I ran 10 miles, it was 27F and the wind was awful at times. I managed to get 40 miles in this week but I did 8 on the treadmill today for no reason other than I didn't want to go outside. I hate everything about running right now. I'm sure it'll be like 85F for my 50K on April 28th, and I'll be totally unadapted.

I know all I do lately is complain but this shit is hard. It has been cold for almost 6 months straight, which is unusual even for Minnesota.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Crap i posted this in March thread then found this.   Happy easter.  🐇

Hey all, hope your having nice easter weekend.
            My week, lots of rest due to busy + ITB, no workouts

mon rest
            tues 5.5 walk incline treadmill
            wed 7.0
            thu rest
            fri 10 mi. Easy Itb good
            sat rest
            sun 17 LR ITB back 😖

Everytime. I seem to get itb every year around this time. Probally intensity (and racing). because my milage pretty lo/flat 40-50s.

WC.  Im pretty much every other day or walk too, until the ITB cools down.  I think i will change my “a” race to kettle 100k and not try to go full throttle on the 50k.  Take it easy there. 100 k is a good amount of hiking for me so i dont feel so bad running slower and walking a lot in training.

RWD.  I hear ya.  I know its not as cold here but it was back to 30 with windchill 20 wich is pretty much winter temps here.  Especially since it was 40-50s last week .  I developed a new technique of rubbing my gloves on my abdomen/chest to generate heat from friction.  My arms are moving anyway so might as well get some heat anyway.

I dont know about altitude training except the science of ultra podcast has a podcast on it. I recall one adaptation is volume expansion.  Heat training expands your volume in a similar way to altitude, so that was one way to adapt by doing heat training.  Also things 02 tents (unless you are in it for ungodly hours per day ?18 and masks dont work, so dont waste your money. I forget what else.  Personally i would plan a trip at altitude then the race at the end of the trip.  As otherwise i dont think i would have a shot.

Fnky.  Nice running.  I personalize my training too, i just keep making the same stupid mistakes, its like Deja vu all over again.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

QOTD re altitude: I am interested in this topic too, since Tahoe Rim Trail 50 ranges from 7000' to 9000'.  One theory I've heard is that either you need to acclimate for at least a week, or don't bother trying to acclimate.  Going up to altitude for just a couple of days before a race means that your body will have started trying to acclimate, but isn't there yet, and you will feel like crap when you're racing.  Thus, it's better to get there right before the race and run before your body is in the throes of acclimating.  I've no idea if this is true, just one theory that I've heard.  Anyone with experience on this?

i heard that too and that's why i asked! a local runner here told me that when he was talking about doing a 100 in Colorado this summer. i understand the logic but from personal experience i find that a couple of days definitely helps me...and ive had a lot of experience going back and forth to altitude. my 88k will be at around 4-6k feet so it's not a ton like twice that in colorado (that far up here and you are under a glacier)...but when i travel to prescott i can feel the difference between 1 and 3 days and on day 3 im a lot better. i bet it is also genetic and affected by a whole host of other health issues. i saw a documentary abotu a study they did in the alps years ago looking at altitude sickness and they found that some people's respiration rate automatically adapts without thinking anf some people keep breathing at the same rate as lower down. that seems genetic. then they had some of the people from before who got sick go back later and consciously breathe more often and they got sick a lot less!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Personally i would plan a trip at altitude then the race at the end of the trip.  As otherwise i dont think i would have a shot.

Fnky.  Nice running.  I personalize my training too, i just keep making the same stupid mistakes, its like Deja vu all over again.

ya that's what we are doing and saving a ton driving rather than flying but road tripping and car camping with the fam probably does not make for the mild taper i like. it's probably have me almost not running at all for a few days prior.

i know what you mean about the same mistakes. mine is always speedwork. i go out there and feel great ... until i dont. but the mashup sessions imo are safer than a full-out workout

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Meanwhile there's a possibility of snow here overnight. Still struggling with heel soreness that's restricting my miles and number of days I can run. I didn't bother signing up for the Naked Bavarian which was this weekend and at this time am not planning any prep races before D3 50K in May. I offered to give up my spot if the RD needed room for runners on the wait list, but everyone on the wait list wants in the 24-hour. My revised training schedule of running mostly every other day seems to be working, or at least helping, as my heel hardly bothered me today. Now if I can just increase those runs from 5-6 miles to 10-12 miles, I'd feel a lot more confident about finishing my 50K before the 12-hour runners start at 7:00 pm.

WCR, do you use a roller for your quads and/or tennis ball for your feet? i get a lot of relief if i do these things after running and think it keeps the itb & pf at bay

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Meanwhile I'm over here like I know we just started spring but it already feels like winter here. Yesterday I ran 10 miles, it was 27F and the wind was awful at times. I managed to get 40 miles in this week but I did 8 on the treadmill today for no reason other than I didn't want to go outside. I hate everything about running right now. I'm sure it'll be like 85F for my 50K on April 28th, and I'll be totally unadapted.

I know all I do lately is complain but this shit is hard. It has been cold for almost 6 months straight, which is unusual even for Minnesota.

RWD buck up! when it gets hot and the bugs are out you might miss 27.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WCR, do you use a roller for your quads and/or tennis ball for your feet? i get a lot of relief if i do these things after running and think it keeps the itb & pf at bay

I've never used a roller. I do stretches and toe raises since I'm pretty sure it's pf. From what I've read and from past experience, for pf the primary cure is rest.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I've never used a roller. I do stretches and toe raises since I'm pretty sure it's pf. From what I've read and from past experience, for pf the primary cure is rest.

Dr Curt told me to use the lacrosse ball for pf ...so did 2 different PT's. it stretches the tissue differently than stretching, esp the fascia

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

dhuffman63

Trails

Not racing but when I went to spend a week in CO with my daughter I found that from flat land OK I was good the first 2 days, after that I had a migraine for the rest of the time there and could barely get any walks in.  Slept poorly too.  Just my observation.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

TH - Whenever I get ITB it's always in the winter.  I think it's the combination of the cold and pavement (same repetitive motion).  I have no recommendation on a remedy, as I've just stopped to let it heal and/or wait until warmer weather.  Hope it gets better soon.

Gatsby - Interesting take on altitude.  Your weather challenges appear to be the opposite of many of us out in the east.  Hope the weather forecast improves for Saturday.  Good luck in the race!

fnkyhd - I'm starting to adopt your training philosophy.  Depending on weather, available time, and how I feel, I'll mix up hills, trails, easy, and longs sometimes at random.  Also, I don't like easy runs on windy days, so I'll do harder runs then.

This is the most running volume through the winter months for me, mostly from avoiding injury.  Avg 52.5 mpw since Jan 1.  Last week was a new high in weekly volume with 69.1.

M - 4.3 easy 9:15 pace

Tu - 8 hills 7:47

W - 7.5 easy mix trail 9:33

Th - 4 easy 9:24

F - rest

Sa - 20 long 9:12

Su - 25.2 long 10:35

Interestingly, my legs felt more fatigued after the Sat LR than after the Sun LR.  Slowing the pace and taking frequent walking breaks really helped save the legs, I think.  I'm slowly gaining confidence that I can actually do this ultra stuff.

QOTD:  From my only experience of a race at altitude - start at 7,500 ft topping at 11,000 ft - my strategy would be prepare to die .  I think different people can handle the altitude better than others with all other things being equal, IMO.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

RWD

RWD buck up! when it gets hot and the bugs are out you might miss 27.

I got a bed bug infestation from the movers that I THINK has finally been eradicated so I don't even have to wait for it to be warm!

I'm in Missouri for work and it's like 29F right now. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Sa - 20 long 9:12

Su - 25.2 long 10:35

nice b2b. are you training for something specific?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24