Ultra Runners

Tahoe Rim Trail ultras (Read 1123 times)

jjameson

I'm in for the 50k, tall geezerish skinny guy with camelback

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Curious if anyone has run the 50 previously.

How is the course and the aid station support?

So ... guessing nobody has any info? 

Really curious to know how the segments play out and if there is anything to know / veteran information.  Haven't found a segment by segment race report yet - let me know if you know of one, please.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Haven't found a segment by segment race report yet - let me know if you know of one, please.

I found this a little odd as well.

I can usually find a lot of info on prior years races on the interwebs, but not so much for TRT

This site is usually good for information via various race reports, but they are a little skinny on TRT

http://www.run100s.com/reports/

If you read the pacer report, there is a link to a report from his runner.

You may find some (or none) helpful

Good Luck

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

There's this from Bob Shebest: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41171293

And his race report: http://pointpositivecoaching.com/?p=1470

This from Brett Rivers: http://www.trailruntimes.com/?p=1165

This from Mark Tanaka: http://ultrailnaka.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-return-to-100-mile-tahoe-rim-trail.html

It's different for us, because they started the new course with the Diamond Peak climb last year. We don't have as large a pool of comparable race reports to pull from.

I'll be out there. Send me a message if you want to meet up.

I just arrived in Tahoe and plan on checking out a portion of the course in the morning.

Will anyone else arrive early?

I just arrived in Tahoe and plan on checking out a portion of the course in the morning.

Will anyone else arrive early?

I don't fly in until late Thursday night.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I don't fly in until late Thursday night.

Ditto

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

Imminent Catastrophe

You people are making me grumpy Angry

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

So ... guessing nobody has any info? 

Really curious to know how the segments play out and if there is anything to know / veteran information.  Haven't found a segment by segment race report yet - let me know if you know of one, please.

HD, The cutoff times is the only place I found an accurate distance from each aid stations.  Not exactly what you're looking for but I found it helpful when combined with the written course descriptions and map they have.

Cutoff - http://www.tahoemtnmilers.org/trter/TRTcutoff.html

Description   - http://www.tahoemtnmilers.org/trter/TRTcourse.html

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Thanks all.  Bottom line is, plenty of up and down, a little snow, and aid stations that are well stocked from what I can tell.  

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)

I cut many steps into awkward snow drifts to improve safety. Take your time and be safe though. When you hit dirt you can fly and make up time :-) - GR

Oh, yeah!

Imminent Catastrophe

From the TRT Facebook page:

"There is a lot of water on the course. Nothing too deep but I would plan on wet feet for most or all of the race. The snow is basically in two sections; between Hobart A/S and the four miles of TRT from the Bull wheel to the top of the Incline Creek trail. 90% of the course is in great condition fee of snow and nicely packed. - GR"

Also somewhere he said there are some creeks with unusually high water that cannot be crossed without wading.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Given the "wet feet" comment, and my experience at Kettle Moraine last year, anyone have any recommendations for keeping your feet in good shape despite the wetness?

Given the "wet feet" comment, and my experience at Kettle Moraine last year, anyone have any recommendations for keeping your feet in good shape despite the wetness?

I plan to have fresh socks at Tunnel Creek. Not sure when the best time to change them will be, but since we hit TC three times per 50m, I will have opportunity.

Are any of you planning to wear YakTraks or similar?  I've never really run in snow so I'm a little concerned about it but I don't know if it would be more trouble than it's worth.  But they say 90% of the trail is clear, which leaves 10% or 5 miles for the 50 mile loop.  I don't want to fall or slow down too much...