Ultra Runners

Buckin' Hell 50k - 2018 (Read 21 times)

drock69

Buckin' Hell 50k – 2018 

I signed up late for this race I wasn't planning on doing it. I ran the Knee Knacker 2 weeks before, and had a tough race. I had a 40km training run planned for the same day as the race, so signed up. Mileage the week after KK wasn't a lot, the next week I was back on schedule, running 37km before the race, so ended up with a good tough week 3 weeks out from Squamish 50/50. 

Start to AS#1 – km 0-13 

I knew a few people at the start, and started the run with them. Quarry trail is a huge bottleneck, and there was a wait to go up the stairs. After the stairs, it was stop and go for a while. I passed some of the slower people, and a few people came by quickly. First part is up and down, with stairs and boardwalks. Then it heads up towards Seymour, crossing Indian River Road and Mt. Seymour Road, following Baden Powell, the opposite direction from Knee Knacker. Some running and some power hiking. Some people look like they're struggling already. I pass them and never see them again, even on the out and backs. Run with a few people doing the 3 50k in July challenge, sounds like the Broken Goat 50k was a tough one. First downhill goes by pretty quickly. Slip a bit on a steep cliff section, and my leg bends a little funny, not injured so all is good. Next is the Seymour Grind, the one I struggled up in the Knee Knacker with cramps. Feels better this early in the race, still hard though, but not too long. Sweating a lot, feels a bit jungle like. Still keeping up with people on this section. Someone asks if this is the Mt. Seymour Climb, he's from Texas, try to tell him gently there's a lot more climbing. A long easy run to the next aid station, it's out and  back for part of it, see a few people I know, and lots I don't. The 30k race has started by this time, so lots of runners on course. 

AS#1 to AS#2 – km 13-23 

I started with a bottle of Skratch, and a bottle of water. Switch to Heed and water, still not really used to Heed, it's not terrible though. I fill up a baggie with ice to put in my hydration pack. It's not super-hot but want to keep my hydration in check. Back up Old Buck, then across to where Ned's starts up the real mountain. Don't remember much about this part, kind of up and down with quite a few runnable sections. There's a water station at Hyannis Drive (pretty much a full aid station), so top up the bottles for the big climb. Some people pick up poles here as well, I've never bothered with poles. Running with one of the Buntzen Burners here, he's doing his first 50k. Some flatter runnable trails, then we cut off onto an overgrown trail, and then back into the forest. This is where it gets steep, and the climb lasts a long time. Lots of rocks and roots as we climb the mountain bike trail. It's starting to feel hot, and this is where I start to drag a bit. A couple people pass me here, and pass a couple others, things are pretty stretched out by this point in the race. The climb isn't as steep as Black Mountain in the KK, it's really a long climb though. Eventually we do a really steep rocky section, then come out at the aid station. Both bottles are empty, and I'm feeling a bit dehydrated.  

AS#2 to AS#3 – km 23-29 

Ellie Greenwood is working this aid station, she sure volunteers a lot. Catch up to a bunch of people at the aid station. Check my ice, and it's still good. Use the sponge and ice water to cool off a bit. The trail follows the road a bit here, before cutting back into the forest. Follow a logging road for a bit, then turn onto CBC trail. Not as steep as Ned's, this one has more switchbacks. You walk over a huge log, about 10-12 feet off the ground, log is probably 2.5' diameter. Glad not to meet a mountain biker here. Quite a bit more climbing, then we cross the road, and walk on the road for 2km. There's a bit of shade from trees, and we have half a lane blocked off, so not terrible, not my favourite part of the course though. I ran a few sections of the road last year, it's around 8-10%, with the heat, I decided to just walk as fast as I could. I can see the guy I was running with at the bottom a couple hundred metres ahead. Seems he can walk faster, just keep going as fast as I can. I have a few people behind me, they turn off before the top, for the 30km course. Seems to take forever, but arrive at the parking lot for the ski resort, get routed onto a gravel road, and come out at the aid station at the bottom of the Mystery Peak Chairlift. 

AS#3 to AS#4 – km 29-33 

Fill up on ice here. This next part is all exposed, as you go up under the ski lift. This part is rocky, I look for parts that are more worn, with all the rock moved to the side. A couple more people pass me here, I think it's the guys from Texas. Up near the top of the chairlift, we get routed onto the trail to Brockton Peak, technical and rocky, some sections are just rock face. None of it is too steep. Out and back section, so before I know it, people are telling me I'm almost at the top. Better than last year, this was all snow. See Alya at the top (she's at all Gary's races, older lady, she hiked up there in a skirt). I turn around and see a few people behind me, tell them they're almost at the turnaround. I get to the ski run, then up a steep section to the top of the lift. This part is really steep, and I'm suffering in the heat a bit. I catch up with 2 people that passed me, guy is at the side of the trail with his pants down. He asks his friend if he has any paper towel. I feel bad for the guy, so give him some from my supply. He's pretty grateful I think. Start to see quite a few hikers here. I can hear a lot of noise and splashing, as we head back into a trail to Mystery Lake. The lake is looking really refreshing, a lot better than the other green algae strewn lakes. The trail goes from loose rock, to lots of roots. See people heading to the lake in flip flops, with cases of beer and big inflatables. No wonder North Shore Rescue stays busy! Keep going through this rough technical section, passing a bunch of hikers. Back to the same aid station at the bottom of the chairlift. Talk to one of the volunteers that did the Knee Knacker, get more ice, have a couple cups of Coke (they give me a cut off juice box, cup less race). Mostly just eating watermelon, as well as gels, and a Cliff bar I brought.  

AS#4 to AS#5- km 33-38 

This next section is mostly downhill. Most of it is technical, so not really that fast of a section. First part is more gravel, as it goes down the what used to be Goldie ropetow, looks like some kind of conveyor lift now. Last year this section was all mud, much drier this year. Go by a few lakes, lots of rooted downhill, so making sure I don't trip. Eventually the trail smooths out a bit, and it's a little faster. I catch up to the guy that I was running with before, he's surprised to see me, I was pretty far behind, and didn't see him at the aid station. Trail cuts across here, and had some uphill sections. I remember really suffering here the last couple years, this part seemed endless. Didn't seem bad this year, ran some of the short up hills. Eventually pop out at the Mushroom Parking Lot, then cross the road back to the aid station. Catch up to some of my Strava friends here, they're leaving as I arrive. Someone drops from the race here, he didn't think the race would take so long, and needs to get to the airport.  

AS#5 to AS#6– km 38-44 

I leave the guy I was running with here, he's just behind me. Down a bunch of technical mountain bike trails, which are quicker than the hiking trails. Mountain biker in front of me keeps dropping his bike, it's a really rocky section. Do some of the same trails I did in the Dirty Duo 50k. Eventually come to Severed Dick, this is one I used to ride, and has quite a few drop offs. Feet are starting to get sore from all the rocks. Trail flattens out a bit, then has some short uphill sections. Follow the fence by the golf course, then drop down Old Buck to the last aid station. 

AS#6 to Finish – km 44-50 

Spend quite a bit of time here, re-fill ice. Drink some Coke, feeling pretty drained from a day out in the heat. Nice couple with their dog at the aid station. Lots of watermelon and some pretzels. I know there's a long climb out of the aid station. It's not that steep, but goes on for a couple kms. The guy I was running with leaves the aid station just after me, and we slowly walk up the hill. We have quite a bit of time until cutoff. I feel really hot and dehydrated, low energy. None of the pain I had the first year, when I had to pop an advil because my back hurt so much. I keep thinking we're at the cutoff, then the trail keeps going. Finally, the cutoff and we're on Baden Powell heading back towards the roads. First road comes quickly, then back into the forest, these trails are smoother and faster. We come to Indian River Drive, then back into the trails. We don't take the Quarry trail here, like the KK. The trail isn't used much, but it's preferable to the one with all the tourists on it. Still running with the same guy, it's his first ultra, and this is the longest he's run. We can hear the finish here, and he tells me to go ahead. We come out at the end of the Quarry trail, and we're in Deep Cove. A few hundred metres to the finish. Cross the line, and give Gary a sweaty hug. Get my dog tag medal. My wife is waiting at the end. 10h11m, about 45 min. Slower than last year. Hot day, no taper and a 50k 2 weeks before, and I felt fairly strong throughout. Felt like I had to slow because of hydration a few times, was feeling a little wobbly. Didn't have any falls, although I have a bruise on my shoulder, no idea what I ran into. 3 weeks until the Squamish 50/50, training feels like it's back on track, but it's going to take a lot to finish. Even the 50 miler is hard, so I have my work cut out for me. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/1734459420

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's a crazy race schedule on some very tough courses. Hope it helps you prepare for Squamish 50/50.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

drock69

Wcrunner, recovery between the races is the tough part for the 50/50, especially when you're near the back of the pack, have to get to the start line for the 50k this year

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wcrunner, recovery between the races is the tough part for the 50/50, especially when you're near the back of the pack, have to get to the start line for the 50k this year

Looking forward to the RR. I have a friend running it who should be among the leading women, so I'll get that perspective also.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Nice job!  I think doing the 50K is a great idea to peak before your 50/50.  Yeah, the heat can be excessively difficult to manage and work through.  Rest well, or what you can, as you start to wind down training.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

Drock I have a question...you put ice in a baggie for your hydration pack at the first AS...why in a baggie?  I've been just putting it in the space between my back and the hydration thingee...or directly in there too.  Course it melts and runs all down my back and into my shorts then down my legs but it seems to keep me cool as I'm not much of a sweaty runner.

drock69

Dhuffman - mostly not to get wet, although the zip lock leaked the first time. Worried about the wetness causing chaffing, and I find having wet shorts uncomfortalbe. I think in a drier climate, like in the desert, I would just let it melt, to get the benefit of evaporative cooling. Having tight fitting shorts might be better too I guess

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

drock69

wcrunner - I met a few people in the race doing the 50/50, will be interesting to see how everyone does. I failed to start the 50k last year, so looking to get the start line this year, it's a huge mental hurdle to get over, since the 50 mile race is hard by itself

Bert-o - thanks! Hoping it's the right approach, I have less mileage this year, but more vertical and trail mileage

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

nOOky

Sorry, I read this when you posted it, and it's so detailed that I even refer to it when writing my own RR which I haven't finished yet, but I'm finally getting to commenting on it.

I hope you're already resting and tapering for the 50/50 by now, especially with the schedule you've kept. Your description of the course was pretty good, having only run it a week ago I'm still fuzzy on exactly what transpired throughout the entire race lol.

I think many here will not realize how hard the course was that day, you make it sound almost routine, I think you need to give yourself more credit because it was a tough race!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

Excuse me, Severed Dick?

drock69

RWD - mountain bike trail, sometimes referred to as Severed D

Nooky - yeah, it's a difficult course, most of the ultras here are on similar trails. I've ran the race 3x, so easier to remember the details. Feeling rested for Squamish 50/50, remembering how tough the 50 miler is, and trying to get in the right frame of mind to get it done. Weather has been really hot here, so hoping for a bit of a cool down next weekend. I'm signed up for Whistler Alpine Meadows 55k in September, it has 3350m gain, trying to think about that one right now, will see how SQ50 goes first

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19