Ultra Runners

WS100 Lottery (Read 585 times)

DoppleBock

Good luck 

I qualified for WS 100 with my Pinhoti 100 finish three weeks ago, so my name is in the hat as a first-timer to get that lottery accrual ball rolling.  

Good luck, everyone!

I think I read after the top 10 (men & Women), Montrail cup spots, other misc spots, there were @ 220-230 available, with 3,577 total tickets, each individual ticket has @ a 6% chance of getting in this year.

If I actually cared enough to get my weight to 170-175 and train like a mad-man.  I think I could run a 6:30-6:45 at Ice Age 50M.  In my 1st Age Age I had been injured, been training for 10 weeks and weighed 215 and ran a 7:36 (Perfect race execution).

THen if I bribe 1 few hundred squirrells to take care of the top 5 runners, I will be money for the golder ticket to WS.  Sadly - I have better odds at hitting the WS lottery than getting to 170-175.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

IS IT DECEMBER 8TH YET? ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

x100

Although I do not have to do much re-arranging of my schedule either way - Just KM100 and Grandmas would be out. 

IS IT DECEMBER 8TH YET? ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm not in personally, but I'm lined up to crew and/or pace if my runner gets in.  Free trip to California, baby!

Running is dumb.

DoppleBock

If I get in - I am going Solo

I don't like people that much and people don't like me much - It will work out well. 

I'm not in personally, but I'm lined up to crew and/or pace if my runner gets in.  Free trip to California, baby!

bhearn

I ran my first 100 solo, no problem, but at WS I think I would have been toast, and wandered off into a side canyon.

Kalsarikännit

I ran my first 100 solo, no problem, but at WS I think I would have been toast, and wandered off into a side canyon.

I did it with no crew or pacers.  I don't know how anyone could get lost unless they were leading it.  I was never even close to having any kind of solitude out there.  Also, sad to say, it was the most littered of any race I have ever done.  Follow the gu wrappers.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Well I think at least the littering has improved. They pound that into you pretty well now.

The other runners were few and far between for long stretches for me, towards the end. Not that I would have gotten lost, really, I guess, but I was definitely spacing out and losing focus. I think the stretch leading up to Rucky Chucky was the worst.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Good luck 

I think I read after the top 10 (men & Women), Montrail cup spots, other misc spots, there were @ 220-230 available, with 3,577 total tickets, each individual ticket has @ a 6% chance of getting in this year.

So the 3577 includes those that have multiple tickets?  I would then have an 18% chance I think - not bad odds.

People may hate this but they need to make it a pre-requisite to complete another 100 as hardrock does.  Just like the Boston Marathon for 26.2 mile distance, WS100 shouldn't be your first 100.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    bhearn

Agreed. And I think there is increasing sentiment in this direction. Damn, this year they nuked a lot of qualifiers, and still got more than twice as many tickets as last year!

DoppleBock

I would be fine with that - But I would not be in the lottery.  I have never run a 100 mile race.  Only a 154 mile race. 

So the 3577 includes those that have multiple tickets?  I would then have an 18% chance I think - not bad odds.

People may hate this but they need to make it a pre-requisite to complete another 100 as hardrock does.  Just like the Boston Marathon for 26.2 mile distance, WS100 shouldn't be your first 100.

Uh oh... now what?

I did it with no crew or pacers.  I don't know how anyone could get lost unless they were leading it.  I was never even close to having any kind of solitude out there.  Also, sad to say, it was the most littered of any race I have ever done.  Follow the gu wrappers.

It would take a little searching, but I recall two incidents like that... trying to think of the years.  Leader had no footprints to follow, led at least one other off into the Sierra.

bhearn

Oh, actually, I did go slightly off course at WS. I was following the guy in front of me, not thinking, he missed a turn, so I did too. Guy behind us called out. Might have been a while before I'd have noticed otherwise.

RunJasonRun

Yes, one more week until this first-timer finds out.

If I go in 2013, I will barely be able to afford taking myself there, so I will either run with no pacers or hit up a West Coast friend.  Either way, it will be an epic weekend.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I would be fine with that - But I would not be in the lottery.  I have never run a 100 mile race.  Only a 154 mile race. 

You know, what you do is incredible.  Yet, it is different than 100 miles on trail.  When I did the Hawthorne 1/2 day, I was able to do 68 miles in 12 hours and it hurt.  But it was much different than running 50 to Winfield in 10-12 hours and being half done.

So I would almost have to say I would still want a 100 + mile trail race.  And I know you could do it if you wanted to do so :P  If 100 is too easy maybe UTMB or Run Rabbit Run (I hear they gave 10 extra miles to runners this year).

The hardrock qualifiers below seem to eliminate 100s that are loops (eg, Rocky Racoon) or too flat by their standards (eg, Heartland):

• Angeles Crest 
                                • Bear 
                                • Barkley 
                                • Bighorn 
                                • Cascade Crest Classic
                                • Chiemgau 100 mile 
                                • Eagle
                                • Grand Teton 
                                • Grindstone 
                                • HURT 
                                • Leadville 
                                • Massanutten