Ultra Runners

WS100 Lottery (Read 585 times)

RunJasonRun

• Grindstone

I have been looking at Grindstone as a possibility for next year, and I am very intrigued.  A friend of mine ran it this year and returned home exhausted, talking about how brutal the race was.  The elevation chart for Grindstone is pretty sick. 

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Y'all should come up North and run Sawtooth Superior if you want a Hardrock Qualifier.  The Superior Hiking Trail is one of my favorite places in the world. 

Running is dumb.

xor

DB already scared me off that one.

Imminent Catastrophe

I like the way UTMB does it, a points system that doesn't arbitrarily reject some races. 100 Milers are 3 or 4 points, most 100ks 2/3, 50-milers 1/2, even some 50ks that award 1 point. You must accumulate 7 points in no more than 3 races. But must have run at least 2 races of 100k or more. Seems more sensible and merit-based than political.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

IS IT DECEMBER 8TH YET? ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

And I thought you were all nonchalant about WS100.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, one more week until this first-timer finds out.

If I go in 2013, I will barely be able to afford taking myself there, so I will either run with no pacers or hit up a West Coast friend.  Either way, it will be an epic weekend.

I'll pace you Jason. I won't do you any good but it will be great for me!

Kalsarikännit

And I thought you were all nonchalant about WS100.

Crap. I forgot I was playing it cool. The bright side of stressing about an upcoming race is that I can't be 100% dedicated to stressing about a stinkin' lottery for a race that I probably won't get into.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trail Monster

If I could find a way to swing it, I would crew for you Jason! Maybe even pace a little too!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

AutBatgirl

Yes, one more week until this first-timer finds out.

If I go in 2013, I will barely be able to afford taking myself there, so I will either run with no pacers or hit up a West Coast friend.  Either way, it will be an epic weekend.

Now that I'm in that half of the country, I bet I could also swing it to come and crew for you!

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

DoppleBock

I was serious - I would be fine with that.

Each type of race is different - I am plentry strong for 100 mile trail race - I just got it wrong the 1st try.  Just like I got the 24 hour wrong the 1st try.  Next 100 will be solid.

You know, what you do is incredible.  Yet, it is different than 100 miles on trail.  When I did the Hawthorne 1/2 day, I was able to do 68 miles in 12 hours and it hurt.  But it was much different than running 50 to Winfield in 10-12 hours and being half done.

So I would almost have to say I would still want a 100 + mile trail race.  And I know you could do it if you wanted to do so :P  If 100 is too easy maybe UTMB or Run Rabbit Run (I hear they gave 10 extra miles to runners this year).

The hardrock qualifiers below seem to eliminate 100s that are loops (eg, Rocky Racoon) or too flat by their standards (eg, Heartland):

• Angeles Crest 
                      • Bear 
                      • Barkley 
                      • Bighorn 
                      • Cascade Crest Classic
                      • Chiemgau 100 mile 
                      • Eagle
                      • Grand Teton 
                      • Grindstone 
                      • HURT 
                      • Leadville 
                      • Massanutten
                      • Northburn 100
                      • Pine to Palm 
                      • Plain 
                      • Run Rabbit Run
                      •  Superior Sawtooth
                      • Tahoe Rim Trail
                      • Tor des Geants
                      • Tour de Mont Blanc (163k)
                      • Ultratrail Ehunmilak 
                      • Ultra Trail Mount Fuji
                      • Wasatch Front
                      • Western States

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Duke of the Internet

Looks to me like it's the 50 miler. No 50k is a qualifier.

I used the Glacial Trail 50 mIler for my (losing) ticket last year.

Duke of the Internet

I did it with no crew or pacers.  I don't know how anyone could get lost unless they were leading it.  I was never even close to having any kind of solitude out there.  Also, sad to say, it was the most littered of any race I have ever done.  Follow the gu wrappers.

Wow, I'm really surprised to see this post.  I haven't been selected to run WS yet.  However, it is shocking that people that are so lucky to run it would liter on the course.  That should be cause for a lifetime ban if caught "intentionally" doing this. 

Wow, I'm really surprised to see this post.  I haven't been selected to run WS yet.  However, it is shocking that people that are so lucky to run it would liter on the course.  That should be cause for a lifetime ban if caught "intentionally" doing this. 

Hear hear!  It seems to me as trail running is getting more popular, the trash is getting worse.  I think a lot of road marathoners are getting in to it, and they probably think the trails will be cleared just like they are on road races.  I can understand the occasional top of a GU packet as sometimes they can fall out when you're pulling out a fresh gel, but I always try to keep one pocket free for this type of trash just so that doesn't happen.  I'll often pick up the tops when I see them, but when I see a spent gel I normally leave it (and feel really guilty about it).  But I don't want someone else's nasty gel on me!

Kalsarikännit

The thing that killed me is that the WSER runners are all experienced trail runners, not a bunch of newbie-road converts. I am not exaggerating when I say it was the most litter I have ever seen in any race. I always try to leave a race with more garbage than I came in with. I make it a habit of swooping down and grabbing a few things every race. Well, my race was already blown because of my shot quads, so I really grabbed a ton around Volcano Canyon (nowhere near any aid stations, btw). At one point I just said screw this. The pigs can roll around in their own filth.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Final odds are 7.6% for one ticket, 14.6% for two, 21.1% for three, and 27.1% for four.

DEC 8 LOTTERY DETAILS