Ultra Runners

OFFICIAL FANS 2012 SITE (Read 401 times)

jjameson

Please post updates and other trivia for FANS here!

Those in the know please list those in contention and who to watch for......

So, who do we need to pay attention to:  We already know about our very own DB who we will be following closely.

Also:

Carolyn Smith 12 hours

Harvey Lewis

Our own WG

David James ?  not registered yet

Please update with others!

Does anyone know how often the FANS site will update?  Real time?

Kalsarikännit

I'm going to provide updates after the 12 hour mark, but I will be doing it in the gsp (rather than updating it in three different forums).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

jjameson

what is gsp?

Kalsarikännit

The main forum. The Great Scary Place with all sorts of road runners, beginning runners, runners with questionable political affiliations, bad musical tastes, and people that put plastic bags on their feet when they run in the rain.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

The main forum. The Great Scary Place with all sorts of road runners, beginning runners, runners with questionable political affiliations, bad musical tastes, and people that put plastic bags on their feet when they run in the rain.

still lost

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)
            TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Smile

steph  

xor

Here is a very weird bit of FANS stuff. Which no one will care about but which makes me super sad about the state of my own club.

So.... in the Maniacs, one can get credit for Fixed Duration races by hitting a certain minimum mileage.  Turns out that this is 26.2 miles for races declared "8 Hour" and shorter. And 31 miles for races with longer fixed durations.  Say what you want about whether folks should be trying for more than 31 miles if they sign up for a 24 hour race, or whether 8 Hours should be the dividing line. Etc etc.  That's the rule.

Last Winter, FANS sent me a note asking me if I thought they needed to set up an 8 Hour version of FANS.  Seems that a few Maniacs had been lobbying them to do this because they didn't think they could hit 26.2 in the existing 6 Hour race. And they absolutely didn't want to attempt 31 in the 12 Hour.  31 miles!  So they kept pestering FANS to set up a whole new race.

I told them no.  Please don't do it, at least not for that reason.

Yikes.

GOOD LUCK MIKE, JENNIFER, and others participating and/or crewing this weekend!!!

Please update with others!

I think we have Buzzie and Don S (Mr. Sullivan as DB puts it) also doing the 24 hour.

xor

I always thought gsp stood for 'gun shot poon'.

ok then

Kalsarikännit

Turns out that this is 26.2 miles for races declared "8 Hour" and shorter.

So you expect people to be able to run 26.2 road miles in under eight hours?  What, your club is for elite runners only?

Kalsarikännit

I will post updates here.  And of course I will include Buzzie and Don.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Mixing up my fuel and gathering gear this evening ...

(yes, this time I have a working light, batteries, and a toothpick; we'll see if I remember my clothes)

Liz

pace sera, sera

xor

A toothpick?

Help a brother out.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Chia seeds.

A woman at NC24 asked whether I needed anything. A toothpick? And, she had one ... it's now in my kit.  

Liz

pace sera, sera

Feeling the growl again

Last Winter, FANS sent me a note asking me if I thought they needed to set up an 8 Hour version of FANS.  Seems that a few Maniacs had been lobbying them to do this because they didn't think they could hit 26.2 in the existing 6 Hour race. And they absolutely didn't want to attempt 31 in the 12 Hour.  31 miles!  So they kept pestering FANS to set up a whole new race.

Lordy....

And thanks WG for doing the updates.  I'm looking forward to it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills