Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

I agree on course direction. Buzzie summed up the course conditions perfectly. Normally though, the wind is the other way.

At the start it was so cold waiting around..I was panicking about how bad it would be overnight since I had issues in September and it called for colder weather. I even sent my sister to buy running gloves--only wore them for a little bit.The wind died down as night fell and it was a perfect evening for running. When the sun went down I went to long pants and a vest over long sleeve shirt. I alternated hot/cold on different parts of the track. But when I took my break before my burst of energy i was freezing and teeth chattering.

One other note--Im not sure if other 24 hour races are on closed courses or not--but more than once I was sure a little kid on bike--or the two 12ish year olds on hover-rounds were going to take out a runner. There seemed to be more of that Saturday than there was in September. I'll be back in September.

Im not sure if my time off the course paid off as a whole. 35 minutes or so at the PT tent..At that point I couldnt run at all..A few laps later I was able to run a bit. Not sure if my own work with the stick would have done the same in a lot less time. A couple of short breaks to change shoes, etc. Got my hot spots worked on for about 20 minutes. I think that helped--I had my best stretch after that when I ran for most of 1-hour. I was slowing but still walking decently and thought a 2nd half hour break might give me the same results--I had a good run of a few laps and my knee tightened again. Adding the time together (counting the fact that I stopped at 22:40 or so) I was off course for more than 3 hours.

Chomping at the bit to get back out for a run--it was very cathartic. I forgot how great running is for me mentally (and physically--forgot how big ive gotten--i look quite hefty in some of those pics). I affirmed that I can put myself through alot on race day--no reason I cant push myself in training to help make race days even more fun.

Here's Sabrina's race report..

http://notallergictoadventure.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Here's Sabrina's race report..

http://notallergictoadventure.blogspot.com/

That was great and she's funny too!

steph  

DoppleBock

At World Championship race yes - At most 24 hour races usinng public parks etc - No, the courses are not closed

One other note--Im not sure if other 24 hour races are on closed courses or not--but more than once I was sure a little kid on bike--or the two 12ish year olds on hover-rounds were going to take out a runner. There seemed to be more of that Saturday than there was in September. I'll be back in September.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Yes - She does not blog often - But a great writer and always entertaining. 

That was great and she's funny too!

DoppleBock

Excited for this weekend to see what the men and women run at 3-days-at the fair.  Could we see a couple more people make the list?

Will a man run 150+ ?

Will a lady run 140+ ?

The bar is pretty high already to try and pick up the last spots on the team ~ How high will they be after this weekend?

In theory you could have 2 men run > 158.53 and knock the 2012 National Champion off the team.  The stated qualification standards have 2010 National Champion, the top 2 at the 2011 National Championship + 3 best at large distances.  The standard does not include the 2012 National Champion.

The likelihood of 158.53 not making the team is minimum.

Kalsarikännit

I see Phil McCarthy is back for the 48 hour.  That is exciting.

There is no one that is really popping out at me, but that means absolutely nothing.  DB, is there anyone you recognize?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

No - I know a couple - But not 150 people

Purdey

Self anointed title

Damn it.  She is making me yearn to return and slay the 24hr demons that have been partying in my head.

"I negative split my 24hr". 

Holy cow.  Not many people can say that.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

And I'm feeling a little (more) crazy (than usual) ... thinking about making the trip to FANS. I like this roundy-round stuff. Shy

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

Logistics are fairly easy - The course is 4-5 miles off on 494, same distance from Airport, Mall of America and all the hotels.

Packet pickup can be done Friday night or Saturday morning.

This is actually a pretty laid back race - But well done.

DoppleBock

BTW - Serge is money!  Yawwwwwn ~ Another 150+ mile performance ...

You are always going to get a good race out of him ~ Someone you want on your team. 

Wow to the preliminary top 10!

MTA: lap = 0.900075 mile

Last Name First Name Gender Age Laps Total
                          Olsen Jon M 37 176 158.53
                          Arbona Serge M 47 170 153.43
                          Moran Sabrina F 25 164 147.90
                          Gardner Constance F 48 158 142.32
                          Fejes Joe M 46 157 142.08
                          Bon Suzanna F 47 148 133.97
                          Polman Brad M 45 147 133.01
                          Jones Ryan M 32 143 129.35
                          Lane Byron M 44 141 127.37
                          Horn Debra F 53 138 124.60

Im guessing serge ran very even splits--his pace never seemed to change.

Deb also is very consistant--If you didnt know who she was you'd be surprised to see she did 120 miles..Although i appeared she was speeding up through the day until she had some issues.

Alot of the women elite ran together for a long time early. I always knew they were coming when I'd hear them chatting as they lapped me. It was probably that way for 4-6 hours. I wasnt surprised that Sabrina ran a negative split.

I would love to go out to FANS just to watch..but I'll be in Vegas until early that Friday morning. Dont think I have the long drive in me after a red-eye from Vegas.

DoppleBock

From an e-mail exchange with Suzanna Bon - Apparently she was shorted either 3 or 4 laps.

Thanks everyone!  The race was a tough one for me as I spent about 14 hours of it wondering why the hell I was doing this shit again.  I puked a couple of times (which truly does make you feel better), kept running, got a lot of support from friends at the race and finally felt much better in the final hours and pulled out of my pity-party.  All in all , although not a PR (those days are probably over) I am pleased with my race execution and outcome.  

Unfortunately for the race organizers and the runners the timing was a disaster from the beginning and I'm not sure if my accurate mile will be reflected in the official results.  Luckily my crew recorded my every split - that's each lap, 8-15 minutes-for more than 140 laps.  That was more than he bargained for I'm sure!!

You might know that a new women's american record was set by Sabrina Moran.  At only 25 she ran a spectacularly well executed race and hit negative splits which is unheard of in 24hr events.  I fear her record may be accompanied by am asterisk however because the USATF may not be able to ratify her results w/o the proper timing documentation- that would be a huge bummer as she surely deserves full credit!  I attached her blog- not only an amazing runner she is a divinity student at Yale, and a great writer- you will enjoy this-

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Not at all surprised to hear Suzanna may have been shorted ... I truly think many were; although it may not have resulted in any change in standings towards the top. I'm pretty sure they didn't miss any of Connie's laps though - they said they were also recording her splits.

The timing was an absolute cluster.

And I confess to losing heart when my wheels were already off and I was given a lap count that was less than lap counts I'd been given earlier (and not in agreement with my own mental tally). I don't want to be petty about that - again, it wouldn't have changed my standing; but, at the very least, I KNOW the current unofficial results do not include my last partial lap (in which I hustled so as not to get caught at the half-way point my pace was suggesting and a long walk home).

RD had said that she'd be reviewing the tally sheets. No word on when/if official results will ever be forthcoming.

Liz

pace sera, sera