Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

On On

I can't wait to see the results from 3 Days. I am curious to see how Phil did at the 48.

I had posted them by 12 Noon or so.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AicDo8QO8h6gdGF4M0lSLUY3cS1fN0l0QlpfZnVrWGc#gid=0

Phil came into the event to try to break his own record.  I got a chance to talk to him for a few minutes before the race began.  He decided he was going to go out a little faster then last year and see what happens. 

I think there must of been a few other things going on.  He did fine for 14 hours or so but then the wheels came off and he called it quits around midnight the first night.  He walked a few laps for fun but then went to bed in his tent.  By morning he did a few more laps walking but got an offer for a ride home, he took it, and he said he'd rather sleep in his own bed then his sleeping bag.

Over all the event was a huge success but not many overly impressive numbers.  Darren Worts seems to be coming into his own for the multi day events (doing 270 in the 72 hr event) and I wonder if he would do better if he just pushed for 24 hours.  I think he is an athlete that can maintain a steady speed for 2, 3 or even 6 days but not sure he can "sprint" for the shorter 24.  Maybe I'll talk to him about it between now and next year and get his feelings on trying for a huge 24 hour number.

Other than not a lot of huge numbers the event was a great success.  People had fun, almost perfect weather for all 72 hours, made lots of new friends and ended it with a great breakfast on Sunday morning.

I hope all of you try to come out and try the event in the future.  We are changing the course slightly for future years by adding a small loop near the beginning to make the course exactly 1 mile.

DoppleBock

It looks like the list is set pre- FANS24.  I had expected 2-3 more people to be added and they were.  So my only question ~ How squishy are NorthCoast24 "Unofficial Results"  Will they change?  How much could they change?  When will they be final?  I just like to have a definite target.

Currently Joe Fejes 142.08 - 59 laps at FANS = 142.0972

Jon Olsen 158.53 - 66 laps at FANS = 159.047

I believe if I do everything right between now and FANS - I have a reasonable chance at 60 laps.  Even if the weather is perfect and I get everything possible out of my body, I jus think 66 laps is beyond my current fitness / weight level.

The 24 is a really hard race to get right - So reasonable to me is at least 50/50 chance.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

It looks like the list is set pre- FANS24.  I had expected 2-3 more people to be added and they were.  So my only question ~ How squishy are NorthCoast24 "Unofficial Results"  Will they change?  How much could they change?  When will they be final?  I just like to have a definite target.

Currently Joe Fejes 142.08 - 59 laps at FANS = 142.0972

Jon Olsen 158.53 - 66 laps at FANS = 159.047

I believe if I do everything right between now and FANS - I have a reasonable chance at 60 laps.  Even if the weather is perfect and I get everything possible out of my body, I jus think 66 laps is beyond my current fitness / weight level.

The 24 is a really hard race to get right - So reasonable to me is at least 50/50 chance.

I wish I could be there for this, DB.

It didnt seem like there was any controversy on Jon's results. I saw posts on the Facebook group from Jon's crew thanking the volunteers for deeling with him on lap updates, etc. My best guess would be that his count jives with what Jon showed. No idea when they would be official.

DoppleBock

I am more worried about Joe's results being final.

But in case My Sullivan is schooling me, I want to be aware of Jon's final official mileage.  Of course if Mr Sullivan does school me - I am going to appeat to USATF that he is really a drunk'n Irishman  possing as a US citizen.

It didnt seem like there was any controversy on Jon's results. I saw posts on the Facebook group from Jon's crew thanking the volunteers for deeling with him on lap updates, etc. My best guess would be that his count jives with what Jon showed. No idea when they would be official.

I am more worried about Joe's results being final.

But in case My Sullivan is schooling me, I want to be aware of Jon's final official mileage.  Of course if Mr Sullivan does school me - I am going to appeat to USATF that he is really a drunk'n Irishman  possing as a US citizen.

DB, you have experience on your side and the ability to endure pain that us mortals actually feel! BTW, are you still in for a few drinks after dwd devils lake? If so, any requests for homebrew? Smile
              DoppleBock

I am there - I am struggling on the distance - 6 weeks post FANS24 is a crap shoot.  The weather will be hot.  The 50k offers a really nice race experience with any pain and suffering getting over early and beer drinking starting early.  I can only think about a mid-pack finish in a 50k ~ just no leg speed.  The 50 miler a much better, longer masochistic experience - a good chance at dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, pain and suffering ~ in a 50 mile race I have an outside chance at being in top 5.  Plus after 50 miles I feel no guilt drinking lots of beer ~ Maybe some thornbush brown ale. 

So I guess what my long winded question is ~ What race distance are you doing at DWD?  I still plan on setting up a tent the night before.  It is a 3 room tent and I should have 3 air-mattresses ~ You would have to bring your own sleeping bag and pillow.

xor

A three room tent.

I shall now call you "Sultan".

DoppleBock

When we camp - Middle room is for all the bags, food and gear.   One wing is for the misses and myself and the other wing is for the kids.  There is not room for the Camels and Laamas in the tent.

A three room tent.

I shall now call you "Sultan".

DoppleBock

So

I let evil beer enter my life - I had 3 times where it was just a nice break ~ then last Saturday was a hotel pool sitting, beer guzzling incident that included tons of chips and typical pool side food.  This caused me to be so hung over mothers day that my wife got the shaft and I continued to eat bad and be a slug.  Finally 10pm I got off my ass and ran 12 miles.

The last 3 days have been the same ~ No beer just tons of junk as I am starting to taper.  Work has been full of bad food ~ Chips, Dips, Cookies, Doughnuts, cake etc.  Which lead to poor at home eating ~ Hey, I am a rythm guy.

So I nervously stepped on the scale this morning ~ Usually a series of binge days like this would lead to 8-12 pounds (Not all fat - But weight gain) - Happily it is only 2# ~ Of course this is during a period that I hoped ot lose 3 pounds ~ so total cost = 4-5#.

I would guess I have limited my FANS24 performance by 4-5 miles - a mile per pounds.

I need to start a good rythm today ... today is a pot luck eat day for retirement of a close friend and co-worker.  THis weekend I have a freind visiting for Green Bay Marathon .... Next weekend is a big group camping weekend for Memorial Day.

It's a long shot, but this could go well ... or very, very bad.

The rest of my life starts right now - I will make it a good one!

You've put in all those miles and won't let it slip now.  Just focus on the prize, eating/drinking is for sissies.  Bring your own food everywhere for the next 3 weeks on only eat that if that is what it takes.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

You've put in all those miles and won't let it slip now.  Just focus on the prize, eating/drinking is for sissies.  Bring your own food everywhere for the next 3 weeks on only eat that if that is what it takes.

Yes, this.   

Just get your ass back on the diet wagon and stay there.  

Three weeks is not that long.

steph  

Kalsarikännit

DB, what the fuck? (Pardon the language, everyone else). You know what to do. You have done it before. You want to be on the team? Get your shit together. You only have to be good for 2.5 weeks. Do it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I get all of it ~ It's all part of the screwed up mess it is to be DB.  I skipped the potluck today - It's too much like a all you can eat buffet.

I think the bad rythm is over - Just a lot of mine fields to tip toe through in the next 15 days.  Usually after 1 or 2 bad days I can pull it back in line with a nice 30-45 mile run ~ In taper I cannot do that now ~ so just a bit tricky.

Probably too much info ~ Like I said just part of who I am. 

DB, what the fuck? (Pardon the language, everyone else). You know what to do. You have done it before. You want to be on the team? Get your shit together. You only have to be good for 2.5 weeks. Do it.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Entry confirmed and tix purchased ... I'm looking forward to meeting a lean, mean DB and watching you lay down a stellar performance.

Liz

pace sera, sera