Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

DoppleBock

Looks like Joe Fejes is signed up for FANS24 - I know I could not turn around from NC24 that quick ... but it adds another real threat to making the team.  If he wins - He secures the last spot on the team and if no one breaks 142.1 he secures the last spot on the team.

Just another distratction ~ I just need to ignore everyone and everything and get max mileage out of this big-old-horse.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I am not sure if this is a new race or just one I knew nothing about ~ Annette Bednowsky posted that this is where she is racing June 2-3.

Black Mountain Monster 24

http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventDetails.aspx?fEID=12079

Good luck Annette

xor

How does one pronounce Fejes?

(joke)

On On

Looks like David James is going to FANS.   Hoping to put up a big number.

Taken from the Ultra List:

Shannon MCGinn mekasan2@hotmail.com via listserv.dartmouth.edu 

2:31 PM (23 minutes ago)

to ULTRA

Hello Listers,

A good friend of mine is headed off to FANS on his own and could use some help.  He has the potential to run incredibly far if things go well.  He has run a 13 hour 100 in the past, as well as won the 2011 100 Mile National Championship.  If all goes well, it is not too far fetched to think he could hit the mileage needed for the National Team.

If there is anyone going that has a crew they could share or anyone local interested in providing some assistance this could make the difference.  Usually he does well with someone able to refill and hand over his bottles or have some gels/fuel ready so he doesn't have to stop moving too long.

If interested or able to help out, please send Dave a message at rundavejames@yahoo.com and he will help explain what type of help he could use at FANS on June 2-3.

Thank you in advance!

DoppleBock

Dave will be another distraction / threat.  He will lap me a gazillion times by 100 miles and likely blow up after that.  One of these times he will not blow up and run tons of miles.

The King of Beasts

My money is on The Big Horse.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

I sure hope he gets someone - FANS24 is a long enough course you do not want to try and crew for 2 people.  With a 2.42 mile loop you need something every lap and evey crew runner touch point is critical.  It is not as big of a deal at 3-Days or NC24 where if you miss this touch point you only have .9 mile or less ~ so you would have gone 1.8 miles total.  At FANS that 2 laps means 4.84 miles of 42-45 minutes.  My wife already feels alot of pressure as serious 24 hour racers are pretty demanding ~ It would not be fair to her or me to volunteer her to crew 2 runners. 

Looks like David James is going to FANS.   Hoping to put up a big number.

Taken from the Ultra List:

Shannon MCGinn mekasan2@hotmail.com via listserv.dartmouth.edu 

2:31 PM (23 minutes ago)

to ULTRA

Hello Listers,

A good friend of mine is headed off to FANS on his own and could use some help.  He has the potential to run incredibly far if things go well.  He has run a 13 hour 100 in the past, as well as won the 2011 100 Mile National Championship.  If all goes well, it is not too far fetched to think he could hit the mileage needed for the National Team.

If there is anyone going that has a crew they could share or anyone local interested in providing some assistance this could make the difference.  Usually he does well with someone able to refill and hand over his bottles or have some gels/fuel ready so he doesn't have to stop moving too long.

If interested or able to help out, please send Dave a message at rundavejames@yahoo.com and he will help explain what type of help he could use at FANS on June 2-3.

Thank you in advance!

Kalsarikännit

He will lap me a gazillion times by 100 miles and likely blow up after that.  

+1

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

When I ran the Sri Chinmoy 24hr there was a guy called Paul Fernandez who was flying around, everyone was talking about records falling yada yada yada, he looked like he was running a 1/2M : long stride, high knee lift.  He kept it moving really well, hit 100 mi in about 14hrs and then fell apart.  Total distance was 109 mi I think.

One mistake I made (of many) was trying to keep him in my sights.  It was a big factor in my downfall.  I should have just let him go. If I'd kept my honest, easy pace going I would have beaten him  - as it was I collapsed and only made 93 mi.

This disaster is going to be rectified in 2013.

Good luck MTP.  I'll be thinking of you.  Remember: super easy, lying on the couch-type effort for the first 50 mi at least.

Kalsarikännit

It is a weird case with James, and we have brought it up before, but I think he used 24 hour races as a fast, flat venue for putting down the fastest 100 milers of the year.  I don't think he cared about anything after that.  You just don't know when that is going to change.

On On

He will lap me a gazillion times by 100 miles and likely blow up after that.  One of these times he will not blow up and run tons of miles.

Opinions.....

Is that the best way to hit a super high number for most people (taking out kouros that did it multiple times)... go out hard and fast and hope one time you don't blow up? 

or

Plan a steady sustainable pace and hope the plan doesn't fall apart?

I know we are all an experiment of one but do people think one method over the other is going to give better results in the end?  I think having a plan and sticking with it with steady laps hour after hour will give most people the most miles, BUT for you to hit that one magical number out of the park I think you need to throw caution to the wind and just go for it.  Problem with that is you are going to strike out more times than hitting a home run.

That is probably true with every race of every distance.  Stay steady and cautious and within your boundaries and you can make steady improvements in your times.  Go out hard with the risk of blowing up and you could possibly get a huge PR but you could also crash and burn.

Kalsarikännit

I know for me, having a pacing plan and sticking to it worked the best for the 24's. That's why I liked the track. Easy to measure run to walk. I felt silly walking so early in those races, but it worked for me and I was able to move at the same pace for 16 hours. What I really wonder about is the 48 hour. I can't think of an effective strategy. Pace yourself or run a 24 hour and then try to hang on? Take a 45 min nap both nights or try to go straight? Hasher, did Liz Bauer take any extended breaks during her 48 hour?

Hasher, did Liz Bauer take any extended breaks during her 48 hour?

I heard that Liz Bauer is 15 for 15 in 100's in 2012. 

DoppleBock

I am not sure - his 2nd attempt at NC24 he ran much slower and deliberate hitting 100 in ove 14 hours versus 13:06.  I think he has done enough of them that he has learned a bunch of stuff that one of these times it will just click and he will hit the grand slam.

Some people have a had time wrapping their mind around time versus distance.  For those people I usually say think of it as 150 mile race with a 24 hour tie cuttoff with the option for extra credit.

It is a weird case with James, and we have brought it up before, but I think he used 24 hour races as a fast, flat venue for putting down the fastest 100 milers of the year.  I don't think he cared about anything after that.  You just don't know when that is going to change.

On On

Hasher, did Liz Bauer take any extended breaks during her 48 hour?

Here is her biggest break;

177: 14:37 33:28:31 
                                178: 17:46 33:46:16
                                179: 22:49 34:09:04
                                180: 14:25 34:23:29

The numbers are lap, lap time, race time.

So at 33 hours into the race she took a 17 min lap followed by a 22 min lap.  Those are her two longest laps of the entire race.  Obviously not long enough to be a nap but she must have either been dealing with food, bathroom or clothes.  Even if you consider she maintained 14 min laps she only took a 10 minute break at most.