Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

On On

I know for me, having a pacing plan and sticking to it worked the best for the 24's. That's why I liked the track. Easy to measure run to walk. I felt silly walking so early in those races, but it worked for me and I was able to move at the same pace for 16 hours. What I really wonder about is the 48 hour. I can't think of an effective strategy. Pace yourself or run a 24 hour and then try to hang on? Take a 45 min nap both nights or try to go straight?

From my limited experience watching runners compete in the 24, 48 and 72 hour races...

24 hours - anyone can push through this amount of time for maximum miles.

48 hours - most people can push through this with no sleep or very limited sleep (just a few minutes here and there)

72 hours - from my experience most people use the extra time to get more sleep.  Not many do substantially more miles in the extra time.  They just accomplish the same amount of miles they could of done in 48 hours with more walking and more rest.  This is not true with everyone though, the winner of 3 Days ran 275 miles in 72 hours and 201 last year in the 48.  He had a plan to stay on the course and keep moving.  He took one long extended break of 3.5 hours once he hit his main goal of 250 miles.  He then got up and did almost another marathon before the race was over.

There was some talk on the Ultra list recently about sleep on multi days.  You only need a few minutes to trick your brain that it is rested.  More than an hour and you are actually doing a disservice as your body starts trying to heal itself (swelling, muscle soreness, etc). 

Kalsarikännit

Carolyn Smith is in for the 12 hour at FANS.  Methinks I will be taking a bit of a spanking.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

72 hours - from my experience most people use the extra time to get more sleep.  Not many do substantially more miles in the extra time.  They just accomplish the same amount of miles they could of done in 48 hours with more walking and more rest. 

That is a really interesting point.  It makes sense, but I had never thought of it.

xor

There is currently at this exact moment a set of races in progress here... a 200 miler (started yesterday), 150 miler (started this morning), and a 100 miler (starts tomorrow).  9.5ish mile loop, easy trail.  One main aid station at the start/finish, second unmanned aid station out on the loop.

I worked the main aid station all night last night for the 200 milers.  The most interesting thing to me was watching and talking to them about their approaches for rest.  Some did 60-80 miles that first day and went into siesta mode.  Others wanted "48 hours on my feet, then I will rest depending on how I feel and how many miles I have".  One dude was balls out going for 200.  And had 125 just before the 24 hour mark. 

This morning, I helped get the 150 miler underway... so I talked to them while they were fresh about their approaches for mileage.  I got two answers: "I'm going until I'm done or dead" and "I have no idea whatsoever".

Interesting stuff.

(I brought that up because of the comments about 72hr vs 48hr above)

Kalsarikännit

That was interesting srl.  Please let us know more about how those different plans worked out.

FYI, that "easy" trail is listed in ultrarunning as a 3/2.  I know the RD's supply that number.  Does that sound right?

xor

NO WAY.  The surface/technical number should be a 1 or a 2.  The hilliness... well, it is sneaky hilly and I have never been able to run it fast, but the mountains it ain't.  2.

There are several races at Lake Youngs.  Which used 3/2, Pigtails?  Or the Lake Youngs Ultra in June?  Very different RDs, though now that I think about it, both are badasses and it is weird that either went with that.

Kalsarikännit

Lake Youngs isn't listed on the ultrarunning calendar.

Terrain:
                1 = flat or nearly flat
                2 = rolling, total climb up to 50 feet per mile (2500 feet in 50 miles)
                3 = hilly, total climb between 50 and 150 feet per mile (2500 - 7500 feet in 50 miles)
                4 = very hilly, total climb between 150-250 feet per mile (7500-12,500 feet in 50 miles)
                5 = mountainous, total climb more than 250 feet per mile

Surface:
                1 = paved or very smooth surface
                2 = mostly groomed trail or dirt roads
                3 = trail or dirt road with some rocks, root, and/or ruts
                4 = trail or dirt road with substantial rocks, roots and/or ruts
                5 = very rough trail

I guess 3/2 sounds worse than it probably is.  

xor

Oh, I found an elevation chart.

727 ft change over the 9.5ish loop.  For the actual race, the course is 21 loops plus a little out and back (200 miler), 16 loops minus a little on the first loop (150 miler), 10 loops plus a very long out and back (100 miler).

So.... 15,267+ ft gain in the 200, 11,600ish ft in the 150, and 7270+... actually probably more like 8000ish ft in the 100.

Not flat, but not bad. A lot of these same people ran a 50k a few weekends ago with more than 8000ft gain.

Best Present Ever

I ran 'with' Sabrina Moran this morning. If 'with' can be stretched to mean that I was in a large group that started from the same place at the same time. I felt like a groupie. Or an internet stalker. In any case, she is lovely.

Weather is not looking too bad for next weekend at FANS.  Maybe too warm, but could be a lot worse considering the weekends we've had in the midwest recently.  Is the FANS course shaded and how is wind coverage?

DoppleBock

Still fighting a moderate Chest cold - Started last Saturday (10 days ago) - Still do not sleep well coughing most of the night.

Originally I figure it would be long gone by now - Lots of h20 and vitamin C.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Good luck with that cold, DB ... Tapering is dangerous business! (Pity it's always timed for when we're at our weakest after maximal training effort. Wink Wink

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

Likely you will have realy red cheeks ~ Her last 2 FANS12

2010 82.69 

2011 83.19

Carolyn Smith is in for the 12 hour at FANS.  Methinks I will be taking a bit of a spanking.

DoppleBock

Starting to have all the normal pre-race demons:

Weight still has not come down enough ~ Still 10# up from a week ago.  I still think it will normalize out 5 more pounds down = a good tapered, hydrated, glycogen rich weight.

Speed = Weakness this go around.  I am 30 seconds per mile slower than other times.

Aerobic engine - Strength

General health = ?  I am working like mad to get over this chest cold.  Very tight chest on my run this morning ~ I am a flem hocking machine.

Mental place = ?  I am not there yet.  I have to bring myself to a dark place where I do not care if I permenantly injure myself, pass out etc.  This by far is the hardest part of preparing for the 24 hour race.  Most of you will think I am foolish for the previous comment ~ A few of you (A1 for sure) are nodding in quiet understanding.

Running health = ?  Both hamstrings are questionable, right achillied tendon was angry last week and I picked up some pretty painful plantar facitis in the last month.  The PF is pretty far to outside of right heal so I do not picture that being anything but noise.  The only thing of real concern are the hamstrings.

Race weather = Reasonable.  It is looking to be mid 50s at start.  Low 70s during the day and low 60s over night.  Since we are moving slower than a marathon ~ This is pretty good.  Ideal for me would still be upper 40s start - low 60s day and low 50s over night.

DoppleBock

Joe Fejes 142.08 (NC24 Spring) - Open

Harvey Lewis 140.58 (NC24 Fall) - Open

Harvey is now also on the FANS 24 registered list - No David James yet, but they do allow race day registration.