Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

bliss24

Mental place = ?  I am not there yet.  I have to bring myself to a dark place where I do not care if I permenantly injure myself, pass out etc.  This by far is the hardest part of preparing for the 24 hour race.  Most of you will think I am foolish for the previous comment ~ A few of you (A1 for sure) are nodding in quiet understanding.

I'm nodding!  Smile

So, how did it go?  I see Harvey Lewis did 142.8 and is now on the team, bumping Joe Fejes, who did 134.5. Dave James dropped early?  And you were battling Joe for much of the race? 

I heard a young woman did about 125.  I'm wondering if she nixed my 7th place, which is 125.98.  Smile

Are there results anywhere?

Congratulations to those who ran this awesome race!

Lisa

<h6>
    </h6>
    DoppleBock

<colgroup> <col width="28" /> <col width="43" /> <col width="57" /> <col width="51" /> <col width="33" /> <col width="73" /> <col span="2" width="105" /> <col width="43" /> <col width="33" /></colgroup>
      24 Hour                    
      Bib Place Division Miles W/R First Name Last Name City State Age
      29 1 1 142.86 R Harvey Sweetland Lewis Cincinnati OH 36
      89 2 2 135.05 R Joe Fejes Hoschton GA 46
      25 3 1 128.71 R Lana Haugberg Brooklyn Park MN 25
      1 4 3 128.66 R Michael Henze Neenah WI 43
      26 5 4 125.19 R John Finn Maple Grove MN 41
      39 6 5 121.94 R Sean Faulk Bloomington MN 39
      28 7 6 117.48 R Jordan Hanlon Minneapolis MN 28
      7 8 7 115.30 R Jerry Heaps Apple Valley MN 56
      46 9 8 114.55 R Doug Kleemeier Oakdale MN 46
      75 10 9 110.88 R Benjamin Clark Minot ND 21
      85 11 10 108.29 R Ken Rubeli Las Vegas NV 42
      19 12 2 106.29 R Kim Martin Lakeville MN 47
      76 13 11 105.99 R Steven Clinton Bloomington MN 23
      34 14 12 105.87 R Kyle Snyder Stillwater MN 34
      49 15 13 105.12 R Dave Trefethen Monticello MN 64
      12 16 14 104.24 R Steve Otolski La Porte IN 45
      79 17 15 103.45 R Bayard Gennert Eden Prairie MN 31
      108 18 16 102.82 R Chris Tatarka Woodbury MN 44
      37 19 17 102.57 R Corey Stender Minnetrista MN 37
      96 20 1 102.20 W Joe Roche Liberty Township OH 56
      33 21 18 102.07 R Joshua Watson Topeka KS 33
      41 22 19 101.07 R Chris Hanson Nisswa MN 41
      83 23 20 100.95 R Chris Scotch Minneapolis MN 35
      2 24 3 100.65 R Susan Olsen Burnsville MN 55
      51 25 21 99.98 R Chris Nutting Fridley MN 51

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

We had the most 100+ ever at the event.

I struggled with stupidity and dehydration.  I let one slip away.  Harvey displayed intelligence, tactics and guts to get it done.  Joe got a little caught up with David early and fought hard, but could not pull it off.

Long legged Lana rocked.

Best Present Ever

We had the most 100+ ever at the event.

I struggled with stupidity and dehydration.  I let one slip away.  Harvey displayed intelligence, tactics and guts to get it done.  Joe got a little caught up with David early and fought hard, but could not pull it off.

Long legged Lana rocked.

I think you're tough as nails.  Some races come together and some don't as well, though it's hard for me to fathom 4th place and 129 miles as 

'letting one slip away."  Unbelievable effort under any circumstances, and given your illness, unimaginable for me.  

DoppleBock

I am very excited for the 2012 World Championship race - We will have a very strong Women's and Men's team.

I hope all the people below can accept their invitations and represent!

USA Women

* Connie Gardner 144.72 (2010 and 2011 US National Champ) - Auto

* Deb Horn 131.75 (2011 2nd place US National Champ Race) - Auto

Sabrina Moran 147.90 (NC24) - Open

Anne Riddle-Lundblad 140.26 (Freedom Park) - Open

Suzanna Bon 133.97 (NC24) - Open

Carilyn Johnson 130.92 (Desert Solstice) - Open

Mind blowing it took 130+ miles and we have 3 x 140 mile women

USA Men

* Serge Arbona 156.49 (2010 National Champion) - Auto

* Phil McCarthy 153.37 (2011 National Champion) - Auto

* Johnathon Savage 146.28 (2011 2nd place National Championship) - Auto

Mike Morton 163.9 (Hinson Lake) - Open

Jon Olsen 158.53 (NC24) - Open

Harvey Lewis 142.86 (FANS24) - Open

1 - 160 + 3 -150 men - Stay healthy!

DoppleBock

One interesting thing going forward - It appears (Every changing) that 2013 and beyond teams will be picked with

1)  Anyone finishing in top 10 at worlds - Automatic

2)  Then by distance

It looks like no spots will be allocated to US championship race - I would like to see at least 1 spot for US championship race.

In theory all six americans could finish in top ten and shut everyone else out - I would like to see top 10 if you are a scorer (Top 3 on team)

2012 100k world championship saw 4 americans finsih in top 10.

On On

One interesting thing going forward -

It looks like no spots will be allocated to US championship race -

What are you basing this on?  Have you heard or seen something to this effect?  I agree the National Champion should get an automatic bid (assuming they hit at least the minimum standard).

DoppleBock

I do not remember - I will look later

Deb Horn and I both read it and had a long e-mail caht about it

What are you basing this on?  Have you heard or seen something to this effect?  I agree the National Champion should get an automatic bid (assuming they hit at least the minimum standard).

I wonder if it is just a 2013 thing since the National champs race was in May 2012 and allowed qualification for 2012 team.  Maybe they didn't want someone double dipping for both teams with one race.

DoppleBock

I had something - Either a communication forwarded to me ( I had been asked to give input in past) or from Deb Horn or a link to a website that had the qualification simply for 2013 and beyond in this order:

1)  Any USA runner that is top 10 at World Championship (I think and get at least 120 for Women and 135 for men)

2)  All other spots in rank order of mileage (Min 120 for women and 135 for men)

Now I do believe that these standards are evolving and I would expect more changes.

If I rules the world

1)  Any USA runner that was a team scorer and in top 10 (This would max at 3)

2)  US National Champion from previous year (If only 1 or no runner is selected in criteria #1 - Top 2 at US Champ race get auto spot min 120/135)

3)  All other spots will be filled in rank order of mileage

This would always give at least 1 spot to US champ race and at least 2 open spots.  To make the US champ race relevant it needs a spot.  To foster the continued growth nationally of 24 hour racing it needs at least 2 spots.  To me both of these are vitally important to the current growth and improved results of US 24 hour racing.

DoppleBock

Also - Maybe I am still having 24 hour mind cloud ...

So I read some MUT minutes from December 2011 ~

2012 NC 24 (OH - May) was US Champ Race

2013 24 The Hard Way (OK - Oct) is the 24 hour champ race

If I am wrong it will be interesting to see what they pick for qualification standards for 2013 ... or maybe what I posted is only for 2013 and in 2014 it will include spots from US Champs race.

Currently before the World Championship and any race between now and Feb 2013 (Or maybe Jan 2013) there are a lot of good qualification effort that will count for 2013.

John Olsen - 158.53

Serge Arbona - 153.43

Harvey Lewis - 142.86

Joe Fejes - 142.08

All have put down distances in the qualification period that are > 135

Sabrina Moran - 147.9

Connie Garner - 142.32

Anne Riddle-Lundblad - 140.26 **

Suzanna Bon - 136.67

Lana Haugberg - 128.71

Deb Horn - 124.6

All have put donw > 120

**  I am guessing that 18 months prior to WC race will be part of period, so Dec 2011 = @ 18 months before May 2013 WC

So already for the women (Before 2012 WC race) it is a tough # to hit.  On the Men's team USA is Mile Morton, Phil McCarthy and Johnathon Savage that will all be planning to put down big numbers (along with John, Serge and Harvey) so I expect the mens team to be just as hard to make in 2013.

xor

>> 2013 24 The Hard Way (OK - Oct) is the 24 hour champ race

That's interesting. I ran the 6 Hour a couple years ago.  Nice course, except for the tornado warning about 30 seconds after we started.  That was a scary 15 minutes.  We started at noon, during a tornado watch, in the rain. Dude says "if you hear tornado sirens, take cover immediately" and told us where.  We start and then, just after... WOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOO WOOOOOOOO.  It was raining like crazy, sideways wind, and... WOOOO WOOOOOOOOO like the aliens were attacking in War of the Worlds.  I'm from Texas, been through tornadoes, and still... yipe!

And... nobody took cover.  Didn't even break stride.  So I didn't either.

A few minutes later, the sirens stopped.

Fun times.

Anyway, the race was well organized with chip timing. That worked in 2010 at least.  Not a lot of room for camping alongside the course... kinda have to tuck in where you can find it.

Strange race, because while you are running 6/12/24 hours on a 1 mile paved loop, there is ALSO a 6/12/24 hour race (the 'Double Dirty Dozen') utilizing a 2 mile trail loop that just so happens to intersect the paved loop at the start/finish, using the same chip timing. 

You do get partial credit for your last loop when time runs out... dunno if this would be true for a championship race.  Somewhere in the last 10 minutes, when you pass the start/finish for the last time, they hand you a pin flag.  When you hear the shotgun BOOM, you are supposed to stop and put your flag in the ground. They measure it off.  There was definitely some shenanigans at the end of the 6 Hour/12 Hour in 2010.  I assume they'd be more hardcore for a championship.

DoppleBock

I have never been to OK

I have been to TX 3 times it was nice.  (South Padre - Houston - Houston)

xor

Oklahoma is OK.

I'm assuming you went to Houston for the marathon, so January.  You would perhaps not like it in summer.  Which lasts from February through December.

For the NC24 they just gave you blocks to drop. pretty much the same thing. you got credit for the previous 10th of a mile. I am surprised there were shenanigans. A partial lap is generally pretty meaningless for nearly everyone.