Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

xor

For the NC24 they just gave you blocks to drop. pretty much the same thing. you got credit for the previous 10th of a mile. I am surprised there were shenanigans. A partial lap is generally pretty meaningless for nearly everyone.

For people going for raw distance, usually, yes.  (unless they are looking for maniac credit and are just on the border of the minimum miles)

And yet, whole lots of people were on the back side (aka blind side) of the loop with me and walking quite a ways after the gun before they put in their flag.

For people going for placement, I wonder.  If you are a partial lap behind someone and you are evil, you wait a bit after the gun.  Then you walk with your flag.  You see your competitor's flag in the ground and place yours just in front of her/his. 

I suspect some of what I saw was just people trying to round up their last mile.  But some may have done it to improve placement.  Dunno.  And, honestly, I just wanted to go eat.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I wonder if it is just a 2013 thing since the National champs race was in May 2012 and allowed qualification for 2012 team.  Maybe they didn't want someone double dipping for both teams with one race.

There were no 2012 team slots awarded based on placement in the 2012 May US Champ race ... Qualification was based on mileage alone; the Auto slots came from 2010 and 2011 US Champ race.

Liz

pace sera, sera

saw mention of this on ultralist. Any thoughts, DB?--I thought I had seen that the teams can bring more than 6 members..I sure hope he wouldnt be taking a spot from Harvey Lewis..

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/eat-run-conversation-with-scott-jurek/#more-275 

Interview with Scott Jurek

WHAT’S NEXT?

First, survive this book tour.

Then I’m running a Marathon in Kenya; it’s a fundraiser for the LEWA Wildlife Conservancy. We’ll go out on the Savannah, be with the wildlife – I’ve never been to Africa. 

September 8-9 are the World 24 Hour Championships in Poland. These very simple track races are the ultimate tool for an ultramarathoner to dig deeper – I have the US Record, but there’s something there I still want to work on. Plus I have Polish roots, and Polish is the first foreign language the book has been translated into.

DoppleBock

Not sure about this - A couple of thoughts

I do not believe it impacts Harvey - Directly.

Every Country is allowed to bring along 3 extra runners every 3 years.  There can only be 6 declared scoring runners on a team.   The USA has never brought extra runners because it would mean taking the insufficent funding and splitting it another way.  I would be very suprised if he is part of Team USA.  I do not think TEAM USA would be using this option.

It is very common in the 100k World Championship race to let "At Large" runners into the race.  This allows the runners to compete in the race, but now for their countries teams.  In the 100k I do believe anyone of us could enter.  In the 100k they also have a men's and women's Master's Team championship separate from the Team overall Team Championship.  These at large runners can compete in the Masters Team Championship - But have to wear the countries race uniforms.

If the 24 hour course is of adequate size to support extra runners (France was not) then it would make sense that they would allow "At Large" runners.

I find this an interesting twist - Because if you score in the top 10 at the World Championship you are automatically on the 2013 Team USA.

saw mention of this on ultralist. Any thoughts, DB?--I thought I had seen that the teams can bring more than 6 members..I sure hope he wouldnt be taking a spot from Harvey Lewis..

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/eat-run-conversation-with-scott-jurek/#more-275 

Interview with Scott Jurek

First, survive this book tour.

Then I’m running a Marathon in Kenya; it’s a fundraiser for the LEWA Wildlife Conservancy. We’ll go out on the Savannah, be with the wildlife – I’ve never been to Africa. 

September 8-9 are the World 24 Hour Championships in Poland. These very simple track races are the ultimate tool for an ultramarathoner to dig deeper – I have the US Record, but there’s something there I still want to work on. Plus I have Polish roots, and Polish is the first foreign language the book has been translated into.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I posted the question to Howard Nippert - I hope he returns the e-mail.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Interesting.... If Jurek is, as you hypothesized, running "at large" then it would seem that he is not a part of Team USA. As such, would he in fact be eligible for one of the Team USA 2013 slots, should he score in the top 10 ? (Which is not to say that USATF can't change their rules - for the good of the Team or any other reason.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

Looks final

Women (Qualifying Mark- 120 miles minimum)
                Qualifiers are as follows (as of 6/10/2012)
                1) Connie Gardner, 144.72 miles, 9/17/2011, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                (AUTO)
                2) Deb Horn, 131.75 miles, 9/17/2011, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH (AUTO)
                Connie Gardner (2), 141.41 miles, 9/18/2010, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH (AUTO)
                Connie Gardner (3), 142.32 miles, 5/6/2012, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                3) Sabrina Moran, 147.90 miles, 5/6/2012, North Coast Spring 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                4) Anne Lundblad, 140.26, 12/31/2011, Freedom Park, Morganton, NC
                Sabrina Moran (2), 137.82 miles, 7/16/2011, Back on My Feet, Philadelphia, PA
                5) Suzanna Bon, 136.67 miles, 5/6/2012, North Coast Spring 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                6) Carilyn Johnson 130.92 miles, 12/17/2011, Desert Solstice, Phoenix, AZ
                7) Lana Haugberg, 128.71 miles, 6/3/2012, FANS 24 Hr, Minneapolis, MN
                8) Lisa Bliss, 125.98 miles, 9/17/2011, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                Deb Horn (2), 124.60 miles, 5/6/2012, North Coast Spring 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                9) Anna Piskorska 122.82 miles 12/29/2011 Across the Years, Phoenix, AZ

Men  (Qualifying Mark- 135 miles minimum)
                1) Serge Arbona, 156.49 miles, 9/18/2010, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH (AUTO)
                2) Philip McCarthy, 153.37 miles, 9/17/2011, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH (AUTO)
                3) Jonathan Savage, 146.28 miles, 9/17/2011, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH (AUTO)
                4) Mike Morton 163.90 miles 9/24/2011, Hinson Lake 24 Hr, Rockingham, NC
                5) Jon Olsen, 158.53 miles, 5/6/2012, North Coast Spring 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                Serge Arbona (2), 153.43 miles, 5/6/2012, North Coast Spring 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                6) Harvey Lewis, 142.86 miles, 6/3/2012, FANS 24 Hr, Minneapolis, MN
                7) Joe Fejes, 142.08 miles, 5/6/2012, North Coast Spring 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH   
                Harvey Lewis (2), 140.58 miles, 9/24/2011, North Coast 24 Hr, Cleveland, OH
                Joe Fejes, (2) 135.05 miles, 5/3/2012, FANS 24 Hr, Minneapolis, MN

DoppleBock

From Howard Nippert

Michael

Scott does not have a qualifier for the 2012 World Championships that would make him eligible for running for the United States Federation.  The event is an open event, as far as I know, so he may plan on running as an open athlete, but there are no "at large" entries to be named to the United States Team.  We will follow the standards listed on the USATF website 

From Howard Nippert

Michael

Scott does not have a qualifier for the 2012 World Championships that would make him eligible for running for the United States Federation.  The event is an open event, as far as I know, so he may plan on running as an open athlete, but there are no "at large" entries to be named to the United States Team.  We will follow the standards listed on the USATF website 

So anyone can just go and run it?  That seems strange for a world championship race.  Do they have two award categories as well, open and world championships?

DoppleBock

I believe that in the case of the 100k - There is basically 2 categories - Individual and Team.  You cannot be part of the team, but can still run for the individual title.  Some countries do not send teams.

I have scoured the internet and cannot find a website for the race - So I have no idea how one enters as an individual.

I believe Scott will write off the trip as a book promotion expense.   

So anyone can just go and run it?  That seems strange for a world championship race.  Do they have two award categories as well, open and world championships?

USA Track & Field (USATF) has announced a 15-member squad that will represent the U.S. at the IAU World 24-Hour Run Championships in Katowice, Poland on September 8-9, 2012.
                        Men
                        1. Arbona Serge 251.84 NC24- Fall OH 9/18/2010 PR 251.84
                        2. Fejes Joe 227.30 NC24-Spring – May 2012 227.30
                        3. Lewis Harvey 226.24 NC24- Fall OH 9/17/2011 230.00

4. McCarthy Philip 246.82 NC24- Fall OH 9/17/2011 248.61
                        5. Morton Mike N/A 263.87
                        6. Savage Jonathan 235.41 NC24- Fall OH 9/17/2011 235.41

Women
                        1. Bon Suzanna 221.10 NC24-Spring – May 2012 221.82
                        2. Gardner Connie 232.90 NC24- Fall OH 9/17/2011 233.90
                        3. Horn Deb 216.96 NC24- Fall OH 9/17/2011 216.96
                        4. Johnson Carilyn 210.65 Desert 24 AZ 12/17/2011 210.65
                        5. Lundblad Anne 214.25 NC24- Fall OH 9/17/2011 225.81
                        6. Hauberk Lana N/A 207.22
                        The national team will be managed by Tania Pacev (team leader), Mike Spinnler (assistant team leader) and Dr. Mike Connor (team physician).

Sabrina isnt going--she is getting married..

Not sure why Jon Olsen isn't going. DB?

DoppleBock

http://olsenjon.blogspot.com/

Not sure - I looked through his blog and he does not mention why