Ultra Runners

12 Hour "Timed" Race Report (Read 27 times)

dblendc

Kansas Ultrarunners Society 6/12/24 hour race. Wichita, KS

12 hour option

Cessna Activity Center 7a.m.-7p.m. Nice course.2.11 miles - Mostly grass (matted down because of the time of year and with the 24 hour runners stomping on it for the past 12 hours) Frozen dirt through a wooded section ( that turned to mud as temps rose) one short steep down hill section.

A goal = new course record 32 laps = 67.2 miles

B goal = tie the old course record 31 laps = 65.1 miles

C goal = 100k 30 laps = 63 miles

Course record is a loose term because this event has been held at multiple venues.

I practiced and practiced a conservative approach. 10 mins of running followed by a min of walking which would equate a lap every 22 mins. If I could sustain this approach all day long I would only have 16 mins of overhead. First lap I came to the unflattering conclusion that the course was indeed NOT SHORT but ever so slightly long! DW summed it up best when she said, "just run". So I followed her advice.

Lap 13 or 14 some doubt began to creep in about being able to sustain the effort. I said to myself to wait until the midpoint of my A goal (16 laps) to make a decision. With the length of the course I was a min behind schedule at the midway point. So instead of allowing myself to chase all 3 goals over the edge I came up with a bargain. I would switch to my run 1k walk 1 min strategy (already planned out and practiced) which if I kept the running segments the same pace would just add 16 mins to my time and keep me from totally blowing up. I felt that this change in tactics would keep my C goal in my sights, and if I felt like it, I could make a push for my B goal.

The 17th lap I felt as if I had a new lease on life. I enjoyed the hell out of my extra walking break and ran TOO HARD during the running portion and turned in a time in-line with the pacing I was trying to slow myself down from (live and learn!!) Over the next 7 laps I came to my senses and backed off the pace and was in line with my new focus. Gather the C goal and see where I was in the race.

The next 4 laps I turned on some music (using some overhead time getting that set up) and slowed some. Mentally I also began counting the laps I had left. I think one or both of these things was a mistake!! On the 4th lap in this set I realized I had 3 laps to go for 100k. I was sure I only had 2 but when I came to the conclusion I had ANOTHER lap to run I took a sour mental turn and I really slowed down. I was no longer focused on timing my segments. I was running to and from landmarks and I didn't time my walks (so those grew). Odd thing was, there were 2 guys getting some miles in on the course while the weather was nice. I happened to be running each and every time they passed in the opposite direction. They kept complimenting me on how good I was still moving even this late in the race. I can't thank them enough for the kind words, because If asked I would not have the same impression about how "good" I was still looking LOL. So I was slowing but looking good while doing so.

When I began lap 28 I looked at the overall time clock (once again I think this was a mistake) I calculated that I had plenty of time to get my last 3 laps done in an hour and a half and go home with my C goal in tote. Hence, my pace dropped again.

(stop focusing on the clock and just execute the segment of the plan that you are on)

As I met my wife at the end of lap 29 I asked her to tell me what place I was in after I finished the next lap. I had not made a note as to my place all day and I didn't care. I was the only one still running regularly, even if my pace had dropped, I had only been passed once in many many hours (by a tall guy who I didn't remember seeing all day sometime on my 27 or 28th lap.) So I figured I was either in the lead, or in second and on the same lap as the leader.

As I began my 30th lap it never really dawned on me that my goal of running my first 100k was waiting for me at the finish line, and I surely thought I would conclude my race then and there. I had 2 rough patches to navigate (the steep downhill section, and the muddy swamp) and I would obtain my goal. I made it through those obstacles gave myself the Gavin "YES" signal and then a few hundred meters down the road a funny thing happened. Some young guy came trotting up by me with the who farted look on his face. He gave me some obligatory "good job man", zoomed passed me and asked if I planned on going for another "one". I answered "probably". I think he replied "probably" and kept on keeping on. Huh? What just happened?

Now I was irked. People change clothes in these all the time so I had no idea who this guy was, what place he was in, nor what place I was in, or why he cared if I was going to run another lap. Only had a couple hundred meters until my last scheduled walk of the race so I put my head down and shuffled on to where I met my wife. She said I was in second place. I didn't know if the tall guy that passed me a couple laps ago was the leader or the younger guy who just passed me was the leader. For that matter I didn't know if i just got knocked down to third.

So here is what I was faced with. I had my C goal in the bag. I had no clear picture of what place I was in. I had some young guy worried enough to ask me what my plan for the last mins left in the race was. I had just completed my SLOWEST lap of the day 28:11 and there was 11:34:04 on the clock. What to do, what to do?

Without hesitation my wife said go for it. So I did. I crossed the start line without missing a stride, hit the lap button and started running. Approx 350 meters into the lap I see the tall guy (who if you made me bet, I thought was the leader.) I thought If I can pass him AND get my lap in before time expires AND if he cannot make the time, I would get that lap back and if nothing else tie him for the overall lead. So then and there I decided there would be no walking breaks. As I passed the tall guy I don't think we even grunted at each other. I kept pressing and the glow of his headlamp kept fading away. I gave a glance his way three times during the lap. He was still there, but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. For the 31st time I successfully navigated the steep downhill section, then made it through the muddy swamp and knew I just needed to keep my feet moving. Last lap was clocked at 23:20. I crossed the finish line with 2:35 to spare. I would say I got my moneys worth for the entry fee ha ha.

Overall impression was this is a well put together race with great people, a great venue, and an awesome timing set up. I like the level of preparation I devoted to this race and can't think of anything I would have changed. The only tweaks I would make would be: to focus ONLY on the things within your control. Your effort, your nutition and hydration intake, your focus. Everything else is wasted energy and when you plan on being on your feet for 12 hours the name of the game in energy conservation.

Pain is my friend

Great job on pushing on.  12 hours races are fun.  Always focus on the things you can control.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nice 2nd place finish under what I heard were very cold conditions.  From the looks of the lap splits I'd guess the youngster who passed you was the winner with 32 laps and completed his final lap about 4 minutes ahead of you.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

dblendc

Thank you Krash- I couldn't agree more with your other comments too!

Thank you WC- It was a bit chilly at the start of the race. That's for sure! You are correct in your analysis of the final results. Glad I could make those youngsters earn their awards LOL

It was a good time overall!!

berylrunner

Rick

Congrats.  Thanks for sharing the report.  Doing the math in a timed event would drive me crazy.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

dblendc

Thank you Ber- Math is fun   I like the different mindset a "timed race" puts the runners in..

dhuffman63

Trails

Thank you for this.  I was signed up for the 12 hour there but my MIL is in hospice with not long and we live on a farm so I have to stay home with the animals while DH tends to his mom.  I hope to get there next year!

Pain is my friend

I'm with you.  The math can get a bit crazy in a timed event.  For my next 24 hour race I plan to have most of the math done before the race. Then when its hour 18 and I am not thinking straight I can look at my chart.

Congrats.  Thanks for sharing the report.  Doing the math in a timed event would drive me crazy.

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

dblendc

Dhuff- You are welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. I would recommend the event to anyone!

Krash- Will your next 24 hr be JackPot? I have heard good things about that race.Charts are a great plan!!

Pain is my friend

Krash- Will your next 24 hr be JackPot? I have heard good things about that race.Charts are a great plan!!

Yes The plan is to do Jackpot.  How did you guess? Wink  I have also heard good things about it.

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yes The plan is to do Jackpot.  How did you guess? Wink  I have also heard good things about it.

Ken and Stephanie put on a great race.  I've run Jackpot twice and would go back again if there weren't so many other races in February that I'd also like to run.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

nOOky

Great mileage for a 12 hour race, congrats! I'd like to try one sometime.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great mileage for a 12 hour race, congrats! I'd like to try one sometime.

Have you looked at Goosebumps 24 in La Crosse in September?  That is your neck of the woods, isn't it?

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

nOOky

I have been there every year except the first year. However it is always during that part of the season when I'm running something else so I don't even try, I just go to volunteer or to see a lot of my friends.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024