Ultra Runners

elevation gain (Read 284 times)

ultratrailtraker

Some ultras mention elevation gain and others give elevation gain/loss. Are these the same term?

Technically no.

If you were to run an Out and Back the Height would be exactly the same as loss as everything you run up, you have to run down.

If you were to a point to point race then potentially the Height Gain and Height Loss can be totally different, an example is the Edinburgh Marathon in Scotland where the run is down hill alll the way.

If you were to run in a loop or multi-lap race then you will always end up at the same height above sea level so height gain/loss will be the same but you will have to be mindful that the gradient could be a short sharp gain with a long shallow loss.

HTH

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Similar to what Jerry said... some races lump it all together.  Here's an example:

Hardrock 100

Elevation gain: 33,000'

Elevation gain/loss:  66,000'

Imminent Catastrophe

Plus, depending on what method and equipment they use to measure, it can vary widely. IMHO it's a pretty worthless number. Of course if it's really huge (like Hardrock) it does mean something.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Just ignore the gain/loss 'cause it'll just make you feel exhausted before you even start.   (just kidding . . . about the ignoring part.)

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

ultratrailtraker

Thanks everyone for the input. I was trying to compare two races to gauge which might be harder.

--- Carl

Carl, I love your style, I assume you chose the harder one?

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily