Ultra Runners

50 miler to 100 miler (Read 364 times)

KvnJns

What is the least amount of time you would like to have to recover going from a 50 miler to a 100 miler. For example I am running a 50 Miler in Aug and 2 weeks later there is a 100 miler. I would like to run a solid time for the 50 but for the 100 my goal would be just to finish. I honestly don't mind if I don't do this 100 miler, I was just thinking is all.

Kevin

Kalsarikännit

I have no idea what a good time frame is to go from 50 to 100, but I would NOT try a 100 two weeks after a 50.  There are now tons of 100's.  Give yourself some time.  Even "just finishing" a 100 is incredibly taxing, both mentally and physically.  It is nothing like taking it easy in other races.  You might as well go into it in the best shape possible.  Just my two cents.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I agree with Jennifer, I did a 57 mile trail race last year, thought I was invincible afterwards and went off to do a 50 mile hilly trail run 3 weeks later and DNF'd due to a pulled hamstring and put me out of the game for a few weeks.

However if the 50 miler is part of very structured training schedule where the base mileage includes Sandwich or back-to-backs then it is a very different matter. I would suggest that by looking at your log this is not the case as your weekly mileage hasn't really gone above 30 miles apart from the past month so tread carefully, these races do take a lot out of you, more than we care to admit.

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

KvnJns

Fortunately the 50 miler isn't until Aug so I have plenty of time to ramp up for that. I am currently deployed in Iraq and if you look at my log it all started in June of this year. You will notice that it took a dramatic drop in numbers and  I have only recently been able to start getting back into a routine again. The 50 miler will be my second and it is a welcome home from Iraq run with my local running club back home. A nice weekend of camping with friends, running 50 miles and then beer by the camp fire. This is an event that has been something for me to really look forward too.

The 100 miler is something that I have been thinking about a lot lately. I have even been thinking about trying to do it here in Iraq instead. I have a 3.55 mile loop that starts at our Airfield and would make for a nice aid station, I would hit it 28 times. Plenty of friends that would be there to support me. I just need to continue to get back up to the 40-50 mile/weeks first with some good long runs on my day off. I only get one day off a week and we work 12 hr days.

That's the problem with deployments, too much time to think about crazy stuff. Thanks for your input guys I will stick to the 50 miler in Aug and not rush the 100.

Kevin

I have no idea what a good time frame is to go from 50 to 100, but I would NOT try a 100 two weeks after a 50. 

My first 100 was 4 weeks after a tough 50 miler and it took all 4 of those weeks to recover/taper.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

... The 50 miler will be my second and it is a welcome home from Iraq run with my local running club back home. A nice weekend of camping with friends, running 50 miles and then beer by the camp fire. This is an event that has been something for me to really look forward too...

I think you have just answered your question, the beer by the camp fire with friends made it for me Big grin

Your 100 miler can wait

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily