Ultra Runners

Another 50 newbie (Read 478 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had a really fun time yesterday at my first, which turned out to be lovely and traily. Hadn't seen even the faintest glimpse of the course ever before, so it was also all new on the way out,  which was fun. Great people, both other runners and volunteers. Was happy and wired afterward, and stayed up late.

Just went for a short run this afternoon. Sore and funny form at first, as it hurt my feet every time they landed. Stayed off pavement, and it felt better after a bit, and I definitely feel better now after running than before.

Not in any hurry to repeat the experience at the moment, but it was a blast.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Okay - which 50 did you run????? Cool

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also DW just PR'd at nap -- 3hr nap for her this afternoon, much longer than she's managed before. She came with me yesterday for the leave before 0400 for all day long event on cold morning.

Stone Mill, it's a new one, near JFK, but lower key and much trailier. A friend of mine also debuted yesterday at JFK -- funny both of us debut'ing not far away on the same day, experiencing the same weather and same full moon with little cloud cover...

Not in any hurry to repeat the experience at the moment, but it was a blast.

Big grin

Also liked to comment re your DW setting a PR at "nap." Ha!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Also DW just PR'd at nap -- 3hr nap for her this afternoon, much longer than she's managed before. She came with me yesterday for the leave before 0400 for all day long event on cold morning.

Stone Mill, it's a new one, near JFK, but lower key and much trailier. A friend of mine also debuted yesterday at JFK -- funny both of us debut'ing not far away on the same day, experiencing the same weather and same full moon with little cloud cover...

Congrats to you  both!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

KvnJns

Congratulations. When is the next one?

Kevin

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

None scheduled. Finished and told DW I loved it but will never do that one again cause of too little daylight.

But by now I've been through phase#1 of trying to figure out if I don't loiter at aid stations how much more daylight I could get (and imagine how sad I'd be to miss out on all that snacking and drinking and talking), and moved into phase#2 of considering what it'd be like to shuffle along in the dark, maybe even slow jogging, instead of walking....

xor

Yeah, well, I'm STILL trying to get the whole "don't loiter" thing down in ultras.  Darned useful advice.  I suck at it usually!

Good job, Perry Mason.

Kalsarikännit

I'm so happy for you, AP.  The trails are tough at night.  This just means you have to look at doing one in the summer.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I'm so happy for you, AP.  The trails are tough at night.  This just means you have to look at doing one in the summer.

My thoughts exactly

Run one during the long days of the year - June-July

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Congrats on your 50 Mile

I am one that likes the night running.... to me you are even more connected.

xor

This just means you have to look at doing one in the summer.

hehehehe.

See Perry Mason, it ain't just me.  Also the experts.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also the experts.

Heh, yes, Mr Quadzilla, I see.

Ok, so the next morning I felt sore, esp toes (blisters), and started out kind of wincing and very slow for first mile, but felt ok after a couple miles (and only did several). Then the following week (which is up to now), I felt pretty good, and have been going easy with a few easy speedwork runs. This morning I did 2x3200 @ goal 15K pace w. 10min jog. After first 2000, my left were dead, and I was tired and legs felt dead all through the jog and the second 3200. Haven't felt like that in quite a while -- usually I don't feel like my speedwork limit is my legs.

Dunno if it is just a hard pace for me, or not rested for the day, or if it is still after-effects of first 50mi a week ago.