Ultra Runners

New here and first ultra in a few months (Read 374 times)

Hi everyone. I just joined this group because I am doing my first ultra in a few months and I have a lot to learn. I have done a few marathons and several trail runs (longest was 18 miles), but I'm guessing I need to train a lot differently for an ultra. The ultra is a challenging 50k in September. I think I might also do a 28ish mile trail race in June, but that is a pretty flat course on a loop. So...where do I start? Any advice on how to train, especially vs. training for marathons? Any must read books? I would love some wisdom from you veterans. Smile

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, you can treat a 50k almost like a marathon. Just take it a bit easier in the start. You will want to make sure to get as much training on similar terrain as the ultra. But otherwise, hydration, calories, etc are very similar.
        Actually, you can treat a 50k almost like a marathon. Just take it a bit easier in the start. You will want to make sure to get as much training on similar terrain as the ultra. But otherwise, hydration, calories, etc are very similar.
        Thanks Trent. I think the terrain and lack of aid stations will be the biggest issues for this one. I definitely need to get more trail experience. There are 2 aid stations and this is the elevation profile.

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I like it. What is the ultra? Also, as with much trail running, when completing a trail ultra, it is common to plan to walk the serious climbs. For a self-sustained run, you need to practice with hydration methods that you can carry with you. Calories are less important for the distance, but you should have something that you have practiced with and can carry. For the 42 I ran the other day, I ate 3 Gus before mile 25, then could eat nothing more and the rest of the race was sustained with just gatorade and the cokes at the aid stations.
            Wow great run profile Big grin As Trent suggests, just treat it like a marathon but with a little respect. If anybody says "after all it is only 4 more miles than a marathon" ignore them as someone who has never done an ultra, that 4 and a bit miles is a lot. Don'r go over board with your training and just keep to some good length long runs and get some hill training in just to strengthen the legs a bit. Cut your pace down and remember it is about finishing, a good tip is to walk the hills and run the slopes. Have a laugh and joke with anyone and everyone but most of all enjoy the scenery. As for food, I tend to eat carbo-gels, bananas and biscuits (cookies) for my 40 milers I have a different regime but that is for another day. However much you don't feel like it you must eat and drink, I always carry my own drink and imbibe at regular points and always use the check point food and drinks. In all, don't be concerned about the fact it is a trail, I did my first road marathon yesterday and was more worried about that than any trail marathon or ultra I have ever done.

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

It sounds like you are going to do Lake Young and Cle Elum ridge run. I've done Lake Young a couple times and it is a pretty fast course. Hiked a lot in the Cle Elum area but have never run the ultra. Always thought about doing it but never got around to it. Maybe this will be the year. I saw on the site that there are 2 major aid stations and a couple other water stops so it probably come down to at least carrying a few gels with you.
                Thanks so much for chiming in. Yes, it is the Cle Elum Ridge 50k. And I am looking at doing the Lake Youngs Ultra (28.8 miles) in a month or so. So should I just plan on walking a whole lot of the first half? Do you generally carry a handheld bottle?

~Sara

... So should I just plan on walking a whole lot of the first half? Do you generally carry a handheld bottle?
                  No, I wouldn't expect you to be walking most of the half Smile Just be aware that you will still need some "in the tank" so it is about preserving your energy. If I see a hill that looks particularly challenging I tend to take the opinion "2 minutes lost on this hill will gain me 4 minutes towards the end" and rather make it up further down the line. The choice is yours and knowing your own abilities. In all my trail ultras I have always taken my trusty North Face Gulper ( Similar to a Camelbak) which allows me to have my Nuun hydration in the bladder and a bottle of isotonic in one pocket and an empty bottle (to fill up at checkpoints Wink) in the other. I prefer to have my hands free for map and compass work, the less I have in my hands, the less I will leave behind when I get tiredWink So no handheld bottles

Jerry

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I usually carry a bottle in my hand and refill along the way.
                      Have bathroom stops ever been an issue for anyone? I'd like to think I can hold it that long, but I doubt it. Smile

~Sara

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When I gotta go, I stop and pee. I have never had to do the other. Except once when I was sick with the GI bug and had to drop at mile 6 of 42 (which meant a 5 mile walk back). But it happens on longer runs and so you may want to carry TP if you think you are at risk. The TP MUST be in a plastic bag or it will get trashed.

The King of Beasts

If you need to poop, poop.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

If you need to poop, poop.
                            It's all starting to make sense now. Smile I really really really hate pooping anywhere besides my place. Particularly in the woods with no TP and legs that probably want to collapse.

~Sara

TP is a very personal thing and if you have some keep it quiet as there will always be someone who has forgotten theirs and will ask to use yours Wink Most trail/ultra runners know this happens so don't worry about it too much, if we see a runner taking a quick detour we know what is happening, it goes with the sport Blush Get some long runs under your belt and you will soon find out what should go in your pack. I call it my "Comfort pack" and it has , sticky plasters, a very small tub of vaseline, mini-packs of raisins, spare Nuun tablet, TP stuff like that which just has a few nice things to keep you going. You'll soon find what you need.

Jerry

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Last week's race, I overslept and did not have a chance to get in my morning ritual before headed to the race. I am usually very good about getting empty before a race. I was terrified that I would not have a chance, and luckily got it all out in the few minutes after arriving and the race start. But I was not confident that I had completely evacuated. As we passed bloated streams and creeks along the race course, I kept thinking that I could use one of them as a bidet if I had to go again. But it ended up being no problem. Another One, this morning I nearly blew out the Deep Wells portapot. Too much mediocre Indian food yesterday, methinks.