Ultra Runners

Racing Schedule / Recovery time (Read 281 times)

I'm really new to the ultra thing and I'm trying to figure out how to plan race schedules.  I finished my first 50k on 10/9 and have a marathon this weekend.  I also just signed up for a 100k in the middle of January and am thinking about a 50 mile on 12/11.  My ultimate objective is to do a 100 in 2011 and I may sign up for one in March.

I haven't really done any long training runs and I'm thinking I need to get some in before doing a 100.  Does 8 weeks between a 100k and a 100 miler seem too close?  Would the 50 miler be more of a benefit or hindrance to training.  Should I instead just try to get out and do several 20-30 mile training runs?  And finally, with my limited racing/training experience should I target a summer or fall 100 instead of an early March race?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I started running again (consistently) in February 2010. 

Ran a 50 Miler in April. 

Ran Rim to Rim to Rim (40ish) in May

Ran 50 miler in July

Ran 1st 100 in August (4 weeks after the 50).

My experience is that the recovery from the 50s got much easier after the 3rd (counting to RRR).

The 100 has proven tough.  Almost 3 months later I think I am finally recovered to point I can run/recover well.  As a side note I am at altitude and have found my sea level runs have been much easier during the recovery.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

I started running again (consistently) in February 2010. 

Ran a 50 Miler in April. 

Ran Rim to Rim to Rim (40ish) in May

Ran 50 miler in July

Ran 1st 100 in August (4 weeks after the 50).

My experience is that the recovery from the 50s got much easier after the 3rd (counting to RRR).

The 100 has proven tough.  Almost 3 months later I think I am finally recovered to point I can run/recover well.  As a side note I am at altitude and have found my sea level runs have been much easier during the recovery.

Thanks for this.  Given your long recovery from the 100 do you think it was attempted to early in your return to running?   A 3 month recover doesn't sound fun at all.

DoppleBock

Boy that is so individualistic - You general fitness level, the number of miles you train are a starting point.  Then it depends on the race couse (Difficulty) and most important (To me at least) - How close to max effort you are giving in the race.  I find if I have ran too fast the 1st 75% of the race and need to find an exterordinary level of effort to keep the pace up in the last 25% Its gonna take awhile to recover.  If I went too hard the 1st 75% and just jog it in - I will recover in a medium amount of time.  If I ran the whole race @ 95% effort and felt great the whole way - I will recover really fast.

50 milers - I figure 2-4 weeks.  In 24 hour races - In races I have given all of myself to, it takes 2-4 months to recover. 

I'm really new to the ultra thing and I'm trying to figure out how to plan race schedules.  I finished my first 50k on 10/9 and have a marathon this weekend.  I also just signed up for a 100k in the middle of January and am thinking about a 50 mile on 12/11.  My ultimate objective is to do a 100 in 2011 and I may sign up for one in March.

I haven't really done any long training runs and I'm thinking I need to get some in before doing a 100.  Does 8 weeks between a 100k and a 100 miler seem too close?  Would the 50 miler be more of a benefit or hindrance to training.  Should I instead just try to get out and do several 20-30 mile training runs?  And finally, with my limited racing/training experience should I target a summer or fall 100 instead of an early March race?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !