Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 423 times)

Well my BIG one starts this Saturday with my chance to run 145 miles from Birmingham to London, England along the Grand Union Canal. This is one of the big name race challenges in the UK which starts at 6.00am on Saturday and we have 45 hours to cover the full distance with very strict rules, no rests longer than 40 minutes and a few more to mention.

Training has been good and I am ready for the event....I think. Wish me luck

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Best of luck, Jerry. Sounds like a fun race.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Good luck.

I saw that race last year online - looks awesome.

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)
        DoppleBock

Looks like fun

May your leg stay strong and your stomach true!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

Sigh. My name wasn't picked out of the hat. I should have been there. Good luck Jerry. Remember - the race is won and lost in the first hour. So go out as hard as possible.

Purdey, as GUCR virgins the general advice is to run it to complete it as it holds many hidden mental barriers that come up and bite you on the arse. Apparently runners who "thunder" through at 20 miles will invariably fail apparently. The biggest mental torture is at Navigation Bridge at the 70.5 mile mark where a huge number give up as this is the half way CP and night is drawing in, the secret is to just focus on getting your night kit together, eat your hot food, if you don't have a buddy then get one and bug out before the demons catch you up.

There are some great runners turning up and there are at least two with the attitude of "All or nothing" but they have completed this prestigious race on two previous occasions and earnt the spurs, I have a very strong feeling that there will be a race at the front. If I was running this by myself I would indeed have my head down and having a go for the top 25% finishers but I am running with my pal George and we propose to stick to a practiced and steadily paced game plan, we hope (and suspect) that the Tortoise will indeed catch the Hare Smile

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Rubbish. I stick by my advice. Run the first hour as fast as possible.

By the way...... Wink

Purdey

Self anointed title

There are some great runners turning up

Who?

Rubbish. I stick by my advice. Run the first hour as fast as possible.

By the way...... Wink

MY race.....MY pace Big grin

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Jerry. It was a joke. Who in their right mind would think that a 145 mile race is won in the first hour?!!

I know it was a joke...I have been so focussed on this damn race for so long that we have agreed a game plan that will only be changed on the run if there are issues that only a race will present Smile

Jerry

Very cool Jerry, Good luck.

Good luck Jerry!

Good luck, Jerry!!!!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Carl A

Enjoy the challenge whenever you can, and at all times keep the glass at least halfway full.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.