Ultra Runners

Fluid intake and retention (Read 444 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

About an hour after eating dinner on Tuesday, I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach.  A couple hours later, the diarrhea started.

Yep. Here too. No vomiting, but I still have the squirts.

Go Pre!

Yep. Here too. No vomiting, but I still have the squirts.

Damn. I felt fine before and after. And for the better part of the race. The 3rd quarter was tough and the last quarter was death. By 30 minutes after the race, all was good again and cursing running had stopped. The heat just sucks the life out of me. I ran last night, the temperature was around 70 and memories of Boston haunted me --- I could barely get through the run!

DoppleBock

Here is the deal

Every night - Drink 3 pitchers of beer in 90 minutes about 6 miles from your house

jog home

After 4-5 years ...6-7 your problem will be solved and you will have a new bachelor or masters degree.

I can go out for a run and have a sloshy stomach when all I've drank was a bit of coffee an hour before. Not sure WTF is up with that and it's one of the reason's I have such a hard time during some races ESPECIALLY in the heat when you need to drink more

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Do you think it would help to drink like an SOB (non-alcoholic, I would suggest) the day before the race?

Do you think it would help to drink like an SOB (non-alcoholic, I would suggest) the day before the race?

Perhaps if you are a camel.  Otherwise, it will have little effect.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Usually takes a number of days I've read to ensure you are hydrating.

I am having a twitter debate with Ben Greenfield right now.  He has been citing Dr. Timothy Noakes who has a study about military marching and it supports whether they take electrolytes of not, the sodium level were the same at the end.  Essentially, you don't need electrolytes - your body has enough - no matter how much you sweat.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2011/12/tim-noakes/

I disagree and feel that transport of fluids is affected by the concentration of the fluid being consumed.  Ben states osmolality doesn't impact transport across intestinal wall but everything I recall learning in cell biology indicates that the body is always driven toward homeostasis - and the relative concentration of the fluids across membranes is what allows fluids to move in or out of said membrane.  So perhaps we have enough salt in our bodies per se, but the intake of electrolytes impacts our ability to hydrate.  I mean, technically I have enough fat, too, but I still ingest carbs to ensure my body works over 24 hours.

Okay - thoughts?

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

Go Pre!

Hoosier - what's your twitter handle?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard