Ultra Runners

Trails near Denver (Read 177 times)

My boyfriend and I are seriously considering a big move out to Denver this upcoming summer. Obviously, one of my biggest considerations in a move will be where I can run. I know there are some serious trails out in Colorado (duh) but having never been out there, I'm curious to hear about the proximity of trails to Denver proper. I know there are plenty of running/bike paths in the city, but I'm more concerned with trails as I plan on training for a few ultras next year.  How far does one have to drive to get to some good trails?

Denver is huge.  Where in particular are you looking at?  Boulder has arguably the best trail system in the nation, but it is very expensive, and they have a very strict dress code: all people under 50 must wear spandex.

Denver is huge.  Where in particular are you looking at?  Boulder has arguably the best trail system in the nation, but it is very expensive, and they have a very strict dress code: all people under 50 must wear spandex.

Probably closer to downtown Denver, not Boulder. We're looking into Baker, Wash. park, Highlands, and Lo-Do right now. I was wondering what the closest trails are (and how far they are) from the downtown area. 

Best Present Ever

Boulder has more than a dress code.  There is apparently a maximum body fat allowance as well.  I guess running isn't your biggest priority but something silly like jobs?  Because I really like Fort Collins a lot.  Small college town, a lot less expensive and pretentious than Boulder, but excellent access to trails.  

I really love living right next door to Boulder (5 miles east).  Close enough to use all the open space but far enough away to get away from all of it and live in a quieter, smaller, and (slightly) less expensive town.

The closest trails (real trails) from downtown Denver will be the foothills to the west.  Morrison, Golden, Chatfield area, Deer Creek, etc.  Maybe 30-45 min or so?      

Probably closer to downtown Denver, not Boulder. We're looking into Baker, Wash. park, Highlands, and Lo-Do right now. I was wondering what the closest trails are (and how far they are) from the downtown area. 

That's going to be tough.  It depends on how you define "trail". In that area, the few options are flat and paved, but they do go for a lot of miles.  With a short drive west, the possibilities are endless. 

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I am most likely going to live in the city for work, and I know the city itself is pretty flat and trail-free (besides bike paths, etc.)  I was wondering how close the "real" trails are, just so I can be prepared to drive. It sounds like the foothills are about 30-45 mins which is ok. I don't even have a job out there yet, so this is all hypothetical, of course.