Ultra Runners

Ultra race directory (Read 2042 times)

What link are you talking about? http://www.run100s.com/ is a  simple  web page with a trivial  series of clicks. How does that make it unusable? 

Of course, it's devoted to longer races is an ultra running site, what else would you expect?

Puzzled.

Don't worry, I think the forum software screwed it up somehow as it was not pointing at the website you intended (it was going to http:///) I have a feeling Trent was being a very helpful Moderator type

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can somebody sticky this thread?

Well, there you go.  Trent asks and the thread gets made a 'sticky.'  Very nice!

And just because I'm curious and not, not, not because I'm being a $itch - is there another moderator here?  Thought I was the only one and would like to know who I'm working with, 'cause I didn't "sticky" this thread.  Or Trent, are you asking for something else to be made a sticky.  I'm totally confused, which is par for the course.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You and ultrachick are admins and Purdey is the owner. So the three of you are moderators.

MTA: You can find this info in any RA group by clicking Reports and then page through the list of group members. The ones with a shield are Admins, the one with the star is the owner. The main difference is that owners can make other people admins, other than that they are essentially the same.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I find that I keep looking for this thread to be able to search ultras.  Now it is easier to find Smile

You and ultrachick are admins and Purdey is the owner. So the three of you are moderators.

Ah ha!  Thank you.  Now I know who I need to be looking for over my shoulder.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I find that I keep looking for this thread to be able to search ultras.  Now it is easier to find Smile

This one is quite useful as well as it covers all the continents and may be good to cross reference

ULTRAmarathonRunning.com

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thought I was the only one and would like to know who I'm working with, 'cause I didn't "sticky" this thread.  Or Trent, are you asking for something else to be made a sticky.  I'm totally confused, which is par for the course.

I stickied it.

When I can get around to it I will add more admins.

Purdey

Self anointed title

true, but we dont seem to have any Fell races. something I want to do.

You would do very well in them too.

Fancy a couple of weeks in England?

The King of Beasts

You would do very well in them too.

Fancy a couple of weeks in England?

Yes I would like that.

My mom is British and still has a lot of family in England, I would guess that I will be making a trip next year (maybe).  Just depends.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yes I would like that.

My mom is British and still has a lot of family in England, I would guess that I will be making a trip next year (maybe).  Just depends.

This is very good news.

You have accommodation sorted in the South if you need it.

Would be good to run a race with behind you.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay, please help me understand the difference between a fell race and a trail ultra.

Fell running

also known as mountain running and hill running, is racing off road and over upland country where the gradient climbed is a significant component of the difficulty. The name arises from the origins of the English sport on the fells of northern Britain, especially those in the Lake District

Fell

Mountains, or certain types of mountainous landscape, in Scandinavia, the Isle of Man, and parts of England.

England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland are criss-crossed by ancient trails some over 5,000 years old (look up Ridgeway). If you see a Trail run or trail ultra or any trail race distance it is a race that is on a trail, no roads, just woodland and hilly path.

Fell running come in different disciplines of length and ascent

Ascent Categories

Category A

• at least 250 ft (76.2 m) of ascent per mile (1.6 km)
                            • should not have more than 20% of the race distance on road
                            • should be at least one mile in length

Category B

• at least 125 ft (38.1 m) of ascent per mile (1.6 km)
                            • should not have more than 30% of the race distance on road

Category C

• at least 100 ft (30.5 m) of ascent per mile (1.6 km)
                            • should not have more than 40% of the race distance on road
                            • should contain some genuine fell terrain

Distance Categories

Category L

• for Long - over 12 miles (19.3 km)

Category M

• for Medium - over 6 miles (9.6 km)

Category S

• for Short - less than 6 miles (9.6 km)

Trail ultras, well you know that it is run on a trail and is over 26.2 miles in distance

Jerry

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So methinks many of our ultras would count as fell running, no?
                                So methinks many of our ultras would count as fell running, no?

By definition no as Fells are only found in England, don't mix up Fell Running with Ultrarunning/ultramarathons, they are a subset of running as it is not just the ruggedness of the run, it is the weather, the terrain,  and the almost religious following. It is like me saying that as I have run along a sandy beach it can be equated to Marathon des Sables

Some of the races and ultras that get held in USA are certainly rugged with viscious ascents and descents but the trails there are totally dfferent.

Without sounding overly protective of Fell running, they are quintessentially British and whilst your runs have similarities no way are they Fell runs. Fell runs are "extreme running" not ultrarunning.

Jerry