Ultra Runners

Ultra race directory (Read 2042 times)

The King of Beasts

Maybe Fell is to TrailUltras as Scotch is to Bourbon. They will both fuck your world up, its just that by definition they have to be from certain parts of the world.

or maybe not. I have seen pictures of Fell running, and me likes.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Yes I agree to that, but you can't beat a single malt

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

So methinks many of our ultras would count as fell running, no?

They would if they were in the UK - yes.

Would our fell races count as trail ultras?  Mostly not. Most fell races are well under 20 miles.  Only a very few are over that.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Fell running:

That reminds me...I must try and get into the Brecons Ultra....Tom?

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

That reminds me...I must try and get into the Brecons Ultra....Tom?

Mate - have responded in the UK forum.

I do have a love/hate relationship with the Brecons.  The hardest mil training I did was on those buggers.  (Will tell you about it in person some time).

Maybe the Brecons Ultra is what I need to banish the demons?

On On

The USATF has broken this type of running down to three things MUT

MUT is short for mountain, ultra and trail running.  The goal of these races is to introduce you to this type of racing or at least to offer you more options if you are all ready participating.

To better understand MUT running sports, let’s start with some general definitions: 

Mountain Running:  Any running race with extreme amounts of climbing or climbing and descending – generally more than 300’ per mile.  While most mountain races are held on trails, there are many – generally hill climbs – held on steep mountain roads.  The oldest and most prestigious of which is the Mt. Washington Road Race in Pinkham Notch, New Hampshire.  First held in 1936, this classic mountain race climbs 4200’ in 7.6 miles (www.mountwashingtonroadrace.com).  While mountain races can be any distance, the World Mountain Running Championships are generally 9k in length for women and 12k for men.   

Ultra Running:  Races longer than a marathon (26.2 miles) are considered ultra-marathons, or “ultras”.  Ultra races can be any length over 26.2 miles, but many have been standardized at 50k, 50 miles, 100k, 100 miles or 24 hours.  Ultra races are held on both on and off road as well as on flat, hilly or even mountainous terrain.  One of the most famous ultra races is the Western States Endurance Run (100 miles) held in the Serria Nevada mountains of California (www.ws100.com). 

Trail Running:  As the name suggests, “trail running” races are held off-road.  There are many long trail races that could also be considered ultra races.  Likewise, there are many very hilly trail races that could be considered mountain races.  While there is no specific world championship in trail running, this sport is growing in popularity and is enjoyed by both elite runners and the occasional “jogger”.

This is taken from USATF - not my own words.

There are many Trail runs and Ultra runs in the US but not a lot of true Mountain Running (which I would equate with fells).  You have to look hard to find the few around.

~Sara
                  It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

I realize this thread is old but thought I would chime in just in case someone stumbled on it like me.

Not familiar with Fell Running as I have never been to the Western Europe but, here in Alaska we have a very active Mountain Running scene.

There are about 6 mountain races every season from July through August.  The most popular is Mount Marathon run in Seward on the 4th of July.  This race climbs 3200' in something like 1.5 miles and then descends back to the start at sea level.  It is a real climb.  Very popular too, lottery only and I haven't been selected yet.

Our other mountain races are similar but some are only uphill.  Bird Ridge is 3.4 miles to the top and you ascend 3500'.  That is a fun one.  The longest one is 14 miles and climbs 4800' in 7 miles and then you loose that in the next 7 miles.

We run mountains up here, a lot.  Even our trail runs get mixed in with the mountain runs.  It is a fun, competitive scene.  Everyone should come try.  They are not too busy.  If you like aide stations and people cheering you on then the Alaska runs are probably not your cup of tea.  

I have heard from some Europeans that these mountain runs are very similar to Fell running.

I just found out about this websitethat lists races, it's not complete but it's another resource and the guy said he'll add races as he gets word of them. It looks like they will also offer race registration--any alternative to Active.com would be welcome.

Probably old news, but the Ultrasignup website Professor mentions has a pretty cool feature that lists entrants and ranks them based on past performances.  I don't know how they rankings are created but it's a nice way for checking into who will be in the race and get some details on competitors capabilities.  I looked at it and found Mike Morton (163.9 miles in 24 hrs) registered for the 100 I'll be doing in 10 days.

Probably old news, but the Ultrasignup website Professor mentions has a pretty cool feature that lists entrants and ranks them based on past performances.  I don't know how they rankings are created but it's a nice way for checking into who will be in the race and get some details on competitors capabilities.  I looked at it and found Mike Morton (163.9 miles in 24 hrs) registered for the 100 I'll be doing in 10 days.

There must be some kind of accounting error with their ranking system because they have me being the highest ranked registrant for my upcoming race.

P.S.  Ranking is calculated by your time divided by the winning time (for your gender)

xor

The ultrasignup number is spooky.  I've gone back and forth on my feelings for this thing over the past year.  I've settled in with "it is what it is, but that's it".

1. I have a couple results listed that aren't me (I have a suuuuuper common name). Getting these removed is harder than it should be.

2. In smaller races around here, a common situation is that there's some medium fast and medium folks.  And one fast person who wins the thing substantially, which skews everyone else's number.  For example, last Saturday, there was a little 50k called "Dizzy Daze".  A bunch of local runners.  And Meghan Arbogast.  Who, even running it as a training run, beat all the other gals substantially.

It is a funky number... but still kind of interesting to stare at.

Kalsarikännit

They don't rank the fixed time races, which kind of irritates me.  According to the website, it is because people may be at these races with different purposes and goals.  Isn't that true of every race?  If a guy wants to run a really fast 100 mile and drop, that is his problem.  It is a 24 hour race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

I agree... so if they did come up with a similarly spooky number, it ought to be based on distance vs winner's distance. 

I've been calling "Fixed Time Races" "set time races" in maniac docs and various email interchanges. I like your term better.  And man, in maniac terms, they do spark mucho discussion.  I won't rant about that here.

Kalsarikännit

And man, in maniac terms, they do spark mucho discussion.  I won't rant about that here.

Too late.  I'm intrigued.  Do rant.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart