Ultra Runners

Do you run by time or distance (Read 686 times)

But by the same logic, if you are going to run for 50 miles and the longest run you have done is 35 miles, how are you going to know how your body will react to an additional 15 miles?

Which is why my coach tortures me with back-to-back long runs.  He keeps telling me it's for my own good and that it'll help me get through those 50 miles, but I think he's really into S&M and it's his sick way of getting it out of his system.  Roll eyes Wink

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have done 2-50k's. 6:30 minutes. The knee gave out both times. I did discover I could not keep solid foods down after running for 4+ hours.I have a 40 mile (Enoree Passage) May 1. I stop for water and food every 1 hour(300 calories). I am going by time. Training is a little behind schedule. Twisted knee at a trail marathon and could not train for 2 weeks. April 16 Sweetheart 50k (4/3 rating by ultra running) will be a training run.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

And for the record, I guess I run by distance (unless on a tough trail then I go by time and effort).

Same for me

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I stop for water and food every 1 hour(300 calories).

Is your goal 300 calories per hour, or do you eat just once an hour?

I find that a gradual intake through the race works best for me (every 20-25 minutes) especially if I'm going longer than 50k.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Is your goal 300 calories per hour, or do you eat just once an hour?

I find that a gradual intake through the race works best for me (every 20-25 minutes) especially if I'm going longer than 50k.

300 calories per hour. I have jellybeans in a zip lock bag(600 calories ) and attempt to eat 1/4 of them in 30 minutes. I also did a 1oz bag of Cheetos(160 C)Salt intake.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

Both

Although I record distance and time.  I usually set a goal to run for x amount of time each run and take what ever I get for distance.

Also when I am out of town - I just run by time and guess on how far it was.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !