Ultra Runners

Ozark Trail 100 (Read 805 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I dropped between as2 and 3. 3 ankle rolls and last one popped and hurt.... Saw Liz and she looked good leaving as2. The tracker online is inaccurate from a time perspective. I left as1 in 7th with a faster time than was posted. I would use it only to check that someone made it to an AS. Chris - wise decision.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Any update on the RA crew?  HD, sorry to hear you had to drop.

Any update on the RA crew?  HD, sorry to hear you had to drop.

Looks like a tough race with just over 50% finishing rate..  I see Buzzie on the dropped list also, but not sure if that's accurate.

Hope you guys are OK.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Looks like a tough race with just over 50% finishing rate..  I see Buzzie on the dropped list also, but not sure if that's accurate.

Hope you guys are OK.

I would be curious to know how many DNFs were injury related.  Really challenging (and at times precarious) footing.  To those that finished at a fast pace, even more impressive knowing that terrain.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Sorry to hear about the ankle, HoosierD... I feel your pain, literally.  Hate to hear about your drop, Buzzie (assuming it's true).

Sounds like staying home was the right call, since I'm still messing up my ankle on a regular basis on mellow hikes.

Maybe we can re-try for an RA meetup in 2012?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Sorry to hear about the ankle, HoosierD... I feel your pain, literally.  Hate to hear about your drop, Buzzie (assuming it's true).

Sounds like staying home was the right call, since I'm still messing up my ankle on a regular basis on mellow hikes.

Maybe we can re-try for an RA meetup in 2012?

Not at this race for me - This same ankle has prone to giving out for years and the risk/reward is too high.  Maybe another race, though.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

Not at this race for me - This same ankle has prone to giving out for years and the risk/reward is too high.  Maybe another race, though.

Yeah, I meant a different race.

You'll ruin your knees!

Good time, cool race, neat country.  I met Buzzie at an aid station (can't remember which one now), and actually stayed in cabin right next to her (but didn't realize it until the race was over.  I believe there were three runners who dropped at the first crew accessed aid station (mile 17.something) due to injuries sustained in the early miles of the race.  I saw a good number of runners with bloody knees and I know more than a few that hit the ground early and often.   

Still, a pretty cool race. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Hey! Finally getting back to reality... Was great seeing HD again, although not so much when huddled in a blanket. And meeting JLB (at DD, BTW) - really, we were neighbors? Heh.

I saw a LOT of people struggling with ankle-rolls. A couple during the 2nd leg looked like they weren't long for this world. And heard a bit of grumbling post-race about how difficult the footing was.

----------

Not my day... calf knot/cramp struck just after Mile 8, left me running funny and working too hard too soon ... the usual cascade of compensatory strain followed ... made reasonable time to Mile 51 then the wheels came off ... 59.2 miles + 1 mile detour to Council Bluff.   Joking

No blisters!  Big grin

I'm fine and running.  Smile Angry

Sordid details here: http://runwhatmay.com/2011/11/09/ozark-trail-100-race-report  Roll eyes

Liz

pace sera, sera

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm fine and running.  Smile Angry

Why, yes, yes you are!  Indeed!   OT100 PICS

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Lynn, I think I love you! Big grin

Liz

pace sera, sera