Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 719 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

That was fun seeing all you RAers IRL at the postrace BBQ. Thanks to HoosierDaddy for the ride, and FlatFooter for the beer (Yellow Blaze?). Big PR for me. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

That was fun seeing all you RAers IRL at the postrace BBQ. Thanks to HoosierDaddy for the ride, and FlatFooter for the beer (Yellow Blaze?). Big PR for me. 

What was yer time?

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Imminent Catastrophe

9:50:03

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Kalsarikännit

Congrats on the PR! You definitely will be able to knock that down even more at LeGrizz.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

Then there was Pink Bikini Girl

Kalsarikännit

That was hysterical at the finish when she came in and the tons of 50 miles, 50k'ers, half marathoners and their families just stopped what they were doing and watched her run in. I pointed out that she was a lot like Jenn Shelton, but with none of that pesky speed that might make the bikini bunch up.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

bunched up bikinis suck

HoosierDaddy and Flatfooter - You guys were rocking the course - Very Agressive running ~ 8 minute mile pace is 6 hour 40 minute 50 mile.  I am not sure I could break 7 hours at Ice Age (Ever)

I was doing 8 minute pace for only about the first 10 miles.  DB, I don't know if you remember the nordic loop, but it is very easy and 8 minute pace feels pretty close to 9 minute pace on the hilly sections.  After that, I slowed down considerably on purpose.  No way was I thinking 6:40 for a finish time.  I was thinking 7:10 - 7:15, based on positive split and the second part of the courses being harder. 

9:50:03

Awesome!  Especially after all the racing you've done recently!

Pictures up here:

That was hysterical at the finish when she came in and the tons of 50 miles, 50k'ers, half marathoners and their families just stopped what they were doing and watched her run in. I pointed out that she was a lot like Jenn Shelton, but with none of that pesky speed that might make the bikini bunch up.

You should have seen the looks she was getting at the start.  The crown had all the time in the world to get a good look in then...

xor

Compare and contrast her to Panties Chick (originally I wrote "Chuck". Whoops) at Monkey, focusing on physical and running attributes, not DUI.

Zach Bitter's blog of the race.  Interesting comments about trying to delay glycogen burning until late in the race.  I don't practice this, but sometimes I wonder about the whole fat for fuel thing...  I heard someone say he put in a 180 mile week (including the race) last week.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Interesting to see the results.  Olson looked like he was hurting at ~mile 26 (3rd place at time).  Arnstein was quite a ways back and he really made up some time.  When I saw ZB, he looked like he was running as hard as he could ~ Mile 26.5 - interesting to see that was easy, fat burning mode.  

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)
                              DoppleBock

Could be urban legend ~ When he set CR at Mad City 50k, someone told me the same thing.  But reality was the week before he had been sick and ran under 100 and the week of he had 50ish miles pre-race.  He normally runs 140-180 with 180 being at the max end of mileage.  But its not the mileage alone ~ its the mileage and 3-4 hard workouts (Between hill repeats and speed) that make his weeks impressive.

I ma not saying he didn't run 180 last week ~ Just saying I have seen 1st hand his race week mileage being exaggerated or mistaken.  I would guess he was in the 100 (Give or take 10) for the week if he followed a similar race week plan as before.

Zach Bitter's blog of the race.  Interesting comments about trying to delay glycogen burning until late in the race.  I don't practice this, but sometimes I wonder about the whole fat for fuel thing...  I heard someone say he put in a 180 mile week (including the race) last week.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !