Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 719 times)

Does anyone know anything about Melanie Peters, the second place woman?

Several years ago there was Melanie Peters in my area that would win most of the local marathons and halfs.  I remember she would do lot's of back to back races also.  Wonder if she moved north and took up ultras?

DoppleBock

Faltfooter ~ I did not see where you asked it, but I think you asked about DWD-Devils Lake.

I am there - I am struggling on the distance - 6 weeks post FANS24 is a crap shoot.  The weather will be hot.  The 50k offers a really nice race experience with any pain and suffering getting over early and beer drinking starting early.  I can only think about a mid-pack finish in a 50k ~ just no leg speed.  The 50 miler a much better, longer masochistic experience - a good chance at dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, pain and suffering ~ in a 50 mile race I have an outside chance at being in top 5.  Plus after 50 miles I feel no guilt drinking lots of beer ~ Maybe some thornbush brown ale. 

So I guess what my long winded question is ~ What race distance are you doing at DWD?  I still plan on setting up a tent the night before.  It is a 3 room tent and I should have 3 air-mattresses ~ You would have to bring your own sleeping bag and pillow.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

http://theactivepursuit.com/?p=211

“That course was tough,” said Peters, 28, who ran track at Miami University in Florida. “I paid dearly for my early transgressions.”

Does anyone know anything about Melanie Peters, the second place woman?

Several years ago there was Melanie Peters in my area that would win most of the local marathons and halfs.  I remember she would do lot's of back to back races also.  Wonder if she moved north and took up ultras?

http://theactivepursuit.com/?p=211

“That course was tough,” said Peters, 28, who ran track at Miami University in Florida. “I paid dearly for my early transgressions.”

Thanks DB, that's her.

DoppleBock

I think its a little funny when people call the course tough or relentless ~ Glacial 50M is significantly tougher and Superior 50M makes Glacial 50M look very easy.  It is a beautiful course - Not rail trail easy, but far from hard.  I think it is a fair, mostly runnable course - just an awesome race.  I found the DWD - Devils lake course harder.  I have never run the NorthFace 50M in WI.

To be fair - WI ultra, well generally this regions Ultras have a whole rythm than mountain ultras - Nothing in the race is hard enough to slap you in the face - leading you to run most of it - But the accumulation of all those short ups and downs take a sneaky toll of your legs.

I am sad that Zach may not run Western States

Imminent Catastrophe

She's a 2:46:45 marathoner. Sheesh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

Sure, Ice Age has a lot of runnable sections, but for most of it I think you can't get into a good running rhythm because it is broken up with climbs. And some of those climbs are good hikers. Plus the footing isn't as bad as Glacial, but there are more than enough rocks in there. I am mainly thinking of that second out and back. It is one of the tougher 50 milers I have done, but I know there is a lot tougher out there. Comparing anything to DWD is a little crazy, because they purposely drag you through swamps and off trails and up weird slopes in the middle of nowhere. That race is for shits and giggles only.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

... Nothing in the race is hard enough to slap you in the face - leading you to run most of it - But the accumulation of all those short ups and downs take a sneaky toll of your legs.

That would explain it. My legs felt more like I'd run a 100k afterward.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

She's a 2:46:45 marathoner. Sheesh.

Yep.  She went to the OT's in 2008.  She is a very tough runner and I hope she does well at WS.   I think that will be her first 100.

DoppleBock

3 very old races

Superior 50M course record

Men 9:09

Women 10:52

Glacial 50M course

Men 7:11

Women 7:45

Ice Age 2012 Results (Not CR)

Men 6:05 (CR 5:53)

Women 7:12 (CR 7:04)

The old timers have always said Ince Age is @ 45 minutes faster than Glacial - Not for the rocks and roots as much as more hills.

I knew someone would take it as I was saying the course is easy - I am not saying easy - Just not hard for a 50 mile trail race.

What I was trying to figure out is if Ice Age was the easiest of the trail 50M races in WI - MN

I am not a good trail runner - So this is all from the prespective of a flatland pavement pusher that runs occassionally of trails.

xor

I have not run any of these races.  I HAVE run North Face.  I thought it was a very fast course except for a couple brief sections.  In fact, I was running road marathon speed.... when I stepped onto The Slippery Wooden Bridge... and slipped.  I was running fast (by my standards) and using 'road marathon' strides, when I fell, I fell flat on my chest. And bounced.  Not sure how high, but high enough that I went over the side of the bridge and landed on my chest a second time.

You should consider running NF some day (or just check what trail sections they use) and see how it compares to IA.

Kalsarikännit

Interesting idea, srl. I'm going to try to find the map. Someone who has run Ice Age said that NF was too crowded for them. I need to look into the differences.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Faltfooter ~ I did not see where you asked it, but I think you asked about DWD-Devils Lake.

I am there - I am struggling on the distance - 6 weeks post FANS24 is a crap shoot.  The weather will be hot.  The 50k offers a really nice race experience with any pain and suffering getting over early and beer drinking starting early.  I can only think about a mid-pack finish in a 50k ~ just no leg speed.  The 50 miler a much better, longer masochistic experience - a good chance at dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, pain and suffering ~ in a 50 mile race I have an outside chance at being in top 5.  Plus after 50 miles I feel no guilt drinking lots of beer ~ Maybe some thornbush brown ale. 

So I guess what my long winded question is ~ What race distance are you doing at DWD?  I still plan on setting up a tent the night before.  It is a 3 room tent and I should have 3 air-mattresses ~ You would have to bring your own sleeping bag and pillow.

If I do it, it will be the 50K.  I read some of the DWD race reports and no way do I want to run 50 miles on that course in 80+ degree temps.  This won't be a goal race for me either, so I will most likely be midpack.  I still have to sign up, but I'm trying to get a sitter for the kids so my wife can run too and join in the post race festivities.  If I can't then I'll join you the night before.  Hope to know for sure in the next couple days.

Do you mean Thornbush porter?  If not, is it an american brown ale style or british?  I can make a Moosedrool clone, but if I can't taste it or find a recipe it's hard to make.

Interesting idea, srl. I'm going to try to find the map. Someone who has run Ice Age said that NF was too crowded for them. I need to look into the differences.

They have it posted on the website.  What turned me off about the NF course was what appeared to be a lot of out and backs and directions that needed to be followed.  Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it strikes me as very confusing.  Also, I heard last year hunters removed some of the course direction signs resulting in a lot of runners getting rerouted. 

You'll ruin your knees!

Oh, wow... that NF course looks ridiculous!  Even if course markings remain unvandalized... sheesh! 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)