Ultra Runners

Basic gear questions (Read 263 times)

...---...

First trail 50K prep: Gear

I do have a hand held bottle (20 oz).

Shoes - I do plan on having trail shoes in a couple weeks - the road shoes I have aren't going to cut it. If for no other reason than having better grip and traction on steeper dirt inclines - besides, I can feel every pebble in the road shoes. I will be doing stream crossings in the race as well. Mizuno Ascend 4 seems to have been well received.  I saw in another thread here some discussion on 2 other brands. Any suggestions? In general for a trail shoe, what am I looking for (other than fits well)?

Shirt/Shorts - assuming regular running/marathon garb will suffice.

Socks - I'd rather not learn the hard way.  Mostly run in Bolega crew cushion now which are okay unless feet get wet, then it's blister city. I saw where Jamie Donaldson raved about Dry Max Maximum Protection after Badwater 2008. Suggestions?

Food - I think I've read up here and on blogs as to what people are doing...will experiment in training.

Electrolyte - I've been running with Cytomax (only because that's what they'll serve in San Francisco). I like it just fine, it's sweet though. After 20 miles, however, I'm ready for something else. I see where folks have been using nuun tablets. Reason?salt replacement without sugary calories?

Hats - got 'em.

I also read another thread talking about wet wipes, etc. Good to know. Any other basic gear recommendations I didn't include that I may need to train with?

Thanks y'all.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Whatever gear you choose, you  need to practice in it/with it.  Never do anything for the first time during your race.

Handhelds - Depending on the race and weather conditions, I have a waist pack in which I carry a 26 oz bottle, and I have the option of a handheld as well.

Fluids - If you can use what is offered at the aid stations, that's great.  I use Succeed Ultra, which comes in individual, premeasured packets that I can carry with me and put in my drop bag.  It's not sweet at all, which is why I  like it.  Otherwise, I've used GU2Oin the past and have had to cut it with maltodextrin.

Socks - I use Injinji socks and a thinner second layer.  I, too, have lots of trouble with blisters, so I tape up using Spenco 2nd Skin Gel Blister Pads and Kinesio  Tape.  If I think my feet are going to get wet, I'll use benzoin spray to keep the tape in place.

Shirt/Shorts - Whatever you usually wear works just fine.  Don't forget sunscreen!

Food - Don't experiment on race day!  Do all your experimentation on your training runs.  I eat bananas, pretzels, fig bars, PBJ, gummie bears, and Mojo Clif Bars.  I carry a small baggie to put food in so I can munch as I go along.

Butt Wipe - It was probably me who said baby wipes.  They don't desolve into nothingness if they get wet (i.e. sweat, rain) and they're soft on the rear end.  Always, always, always carry your garbage out!  Take a small baggie with you to put the used wipes in.

Good luck!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

First trail 50K prep: Gear

I do have a hand held bottle (20 oz). Check distances between aid stations... on warm days, 20 oz may not be enough. Make sure you have a bottle that has a strap for your hand... you'd be surprized how tired your hand gets if you actually have to "hold" the bottle the whole way... practice long runs with the bottle!

Shoes - I do plan on having trail shoes in a couple weeks - the road shoes I have aren't going to cut it. If for no other reason than having better grip and traction on steeper dirt inclines - besides, I can feel every pebble in the road shoes. I will be doing stream crossings in the race as well. Mizuno Ascend 4 seems to have been well received.  I saw in another thread here some discussion on 2 other brands. Any suggestions? In general for a trail shoe, what am I looking for (other than fits well)? Shoes are very unique to the individual!  You may need to try several different styles... tough to do if you don't live in a trail running mecca!  Zappos.com has a great return policy, as does REI.  REI allows you to ship for free to the store, try them on there, then decide! 

Shirt/Shorts - assuming regular running/marathon garb will suffice. Yup, no special needs here... many like pockets on shorts to stash stuff.

Socks - I'd rather not learn the hard way.  Mostly run in Bolega crew cushion now which are okay unless feet get wet, then it's blister city. I saw where Jamie Donaldson raved about Dry Max Maximum Protection after Badwater 2008. Suggestions? Three words... WOOL, WOOL, WOOL!  Tend to work really well wet or dry.  If you feel adventurous, try the Injinji wool toe socks... 

Food - I think I've read up here and on blogs as to what people are doing...will experiment in training. For 50K, aid station food should be OK.  Many races will post what they plan on having at aid stations... maybe PB&J, boiled/salted potatoes, etc.  It's all good... beware the electrolyte replacement drink they serve!  It may be something you haven't tried and it may be your demise!  See rules on "don't try anything new on race day"... If you need E'lyte replacement, only use what you have been using for long runs... read: bring your own! (or verify what they are serving).

Electrolyte - I've been running with Cytomax (only because that's what they'll serve in San Francisco). I like it just fine, it's sweet though. After 20 miles, however, I'm ready for something else. I see where folks have been using nuun tablets. Reason?salt replacement without sugary calories?  Oops, jumped the gun on this one... see above... if you practice with Cytomax and they serve it... should be good.

Hats - got 'em. Check

I also read another thread talking about wet wipes, etc. Good to know. Any other basic gear recommendations I didn't include that I may need to train with? Wet wipes are ok, but I try to carry a "toilet kit" consisting of TP, rubber glove (for sanitation and for packaging anything needing packed out), "Final Wipe" and a single use packet of Desitin.  This may seem excessive, but some of the wet-wipe type products have led to some major chaffing after the fact.  Desitin or similar ointment is very appropriate!  (Another great use of the "rubber glove", plus, I like to hear that snappy sound like the doctor makes just prior to my, er, "finger wave" exam... 

Thanks y'all. Welcome!

Comments imbedded above!  Good luck!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I will not comment on hand-bottles or waist pack as it all depends on lenght of the race and temp.  Suffice to say I have only taken one hand-held bottle for 50K's. 

Other stuff I normally carry;

- 1 ziplock sandwhich bag containing

- Toilet paper - enough for one 'session'

- Ibuprofen or Tylenol

- Succeed(eletrolyte caps)

- a few mints

- 4-8 bandaids

- 1 Bandana - either tied to my wrist or in my pocket.  many uses for this.

- 1 pair of socks which also double as gloves

- make sure I use safety pins for my bib as they double as needles for blisters and such

...---...

Awesome stuff everyone. Many, many thanks!

P.S. on latex gloves: "I like to hear that snappy sound like the doctor makes just prior to my, er, "finger wave" exam..."

Nice. That should bring a laugh if/when I have to use one out there. I'm thinking I'll be looking for shorts with a few pockets. Or at least something to carry my bottle with a pocket or two. I may actually need both hands free on the trail.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Due to past, um, intestinal difficulties, I now use an anti-diarrhea med the night before and day of.  I have to deal with not being able to go to the bathroom for about 24+ hours, but after having to deal with the alternative (which was bad, bad, bad), I don't care.  I do, however, uh, shall we say "lub up" with diaper rash ointment prior to the longs.  Makes things much nicer in the end (pun intended!)

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I like to bring some Neo-to-Go since I seem to fall down all the time, in addition to the bandaids.  I also recently started bringing the Benadryl-to-go in case I get stung.  Interestingly, I've needed neither since I started carrying them.  I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I am probably the odd (wo)man out here, but I like to wear the thinnest Dri-FIT socks possible instead of wool.  I keep trying these fancy $10 or $15 a pair wool and technical socks, but I get the least amount of blisters when I just wear the basic Nike Dri-FIT ones.   I do change them out sometimes after 15 or 20 miles.