Ultra Runners

UTMB (Read 53 times)

jjameson

Love to do it

Love to see the Americans do well.  Don't know the Europeans but clearly they have some really good runners.

Wil there be updates on the race website or is irunfar the best site to follow?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Love to do it

Love to see the Americans do well.  Don't know the Europeans but clearly they have some really good runners.

Wil there be updates on the race website or is irunfar the best site to follow?

I believe they have a website (something.tv) that will cover it.  USA has a good contingent over there this year.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)
      TripleBock

The European teams are highly organized and supportive.  Not as much as the TDF bike race, but the runners with have the absolute most support that you legally can get.  European trail races have different rules ~ cutting switchbacks, what you have to carry etc.  They also like the change the course mid-race ... All these things make an American winning unlikely ~ THat along with the Europeans are climbing beasts ... not just one, but 20 beasts or so.

I really think the only way an American will ever win is if they are on one of the big teams like Solamon

I believe they have a website (something.tv) that will cover it.  USA has a good contingent over there this year.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Uh oh... now what?

The European teams are highly organized and supportive.  Not as much as the TDF bike race, but the runners with have the absolute most support that you legally can get.  European trail races have different rules ~ cutting switchbacks, what you have to carry etc.  They also like the change the course mid-race ... All these things make an American winning unlikely ~ THat along with the Europeans are climbing beasts ... not just one, but 20 beasts or so.

I really think the only way an American will ever win is if they are on one of the big teams like Solamon 

Uh...

Nikki Kimball, 2007, 25:23:45!

Krissy Moehl, 2008, 24:56:01!

Honest to goodness Americans.

You'll ruin your knees!

Uh...

Nikki Kimball, 2007, 25:23:45!

Krissy Moehl, 2008, 24:56:01!

Honest to goodness Americans.

Krissy Moehl made me a sandwich once... it was really good!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I am pretty ignorant of the rules related to European trail races but I would think if Americans want to win they would figure out how to adapt.  I don't see this as any different than any other race.  Athletes just need to figure out where the different rules will help vs hurt them and compensate accordingly.

I would also think the North Face would be trying to make things fair as they have a number of US sponsored athletes like Timothy Olsen running.

Uh oh... now what?

I am pretty ignorant of the rules related to European trail races but I would think if Americans want to win they would figure out how to adapt.  I don't see this as any different than any other race.  Athletes just need to figure out where the different rules will help vs hurt them and compensate accordingly.

I would also think the North Face would be trying to make things fair as they have a number of US sponsored athletes like Timothy Olsen running.

There is nothing unfair going on.  No matter where you go, you run under the rules of the event.  The idea that at the end of the day there might be someone saying, "I didn't know" only points at poor preparation by that individual or support crew.

TripleBock

I did not say unfair, although I do not understand a couple of years back whenthey changed the course mid-run without a reason (No weather issues or reason, other than they changed it) it did take a couple americans who were not equiped for the change ~ That is why they are told to keep their cell phones on.

I do understand when they change the course for a weather or health risk reason.

I agree that the top Americans should be able to understand the rules and get teams to be competetive.  I believe the bigger reason is that there are 20 big mountain Beasts (Male) from Europe that can spend time on the course.  The American's have a handful of these beasts to challenge.

There is nothing unfair going on.  No matter where you go, you run under the rules of the event.  The idea that at the end of the day there might be someone saying, "I didn't know" only points at poor preparation by that individual or support crew.

TripleBock

When did the last American male win?

Sorry, wrong choice of words.  I was specifically referring to when the course was changed for no apparent reason (and no explanation given).  Since the race organizers warned people ahead of time that this could happen it isn't necessarily unfair, but on the other hand most athletes probably didn't think they were signing up for a race where the course would be changed for no apparent reason.

TripleBock

Congrats to Rory Bosio !!!! ~ 2 hour course record!