Ultra Runners

NJ Trail Series 3 Days at the Fair 2014 (Read 88 times)

On On

For those that are looking for a timed race on the East Coast there is this race in May in NJ.

http://njtrailseries.com/fair is the website with links to registration.

There are timed options of 6 hr, 12 hr, 24 hr, 48 hr, and 72 hr.

For those that just like to do Marathons or 50K you can do up to 4 over the 72 hours.

Great venue for the runner and crew.  You can park right along the race course.  There are real bathrooms with showers.  Also a full kitchen to provide hot and cold food for the entire race.

Registration prices increase this weekend.

+1.

I did the 12-Hour up there last year.  I enjoyed the course, an exact 1-mile flat loop (easy to track).  Also enjoyed the parking right next to the course.  Hot-water shower post-race as well.  Friendly participants, superb RD and support crew...   In short, I second everything Hasher Rick stated.

Awesome course to see how many miles you can lay down in a timed-event race.  I recommend it.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Chantilly75

I'm looking at this one for the 24HR.  Travel is a consideration, though.

K L Duke What was the weather like?

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hasher Rick would have a better idea what to expect since he's the RD. I live near Philly, about 90 minutes south of there and mid-May could have highs anywhere from 60F to 90F.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

On On

Weather can range quite a bit.  I'd agree that it can range from 90s during the day into the 50s at night.  But those are extremes. More often it is going to range from 60-80

Feeling the growl again

I wish my body was not such a wuss about ultra training, because I'd really like to experience this.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Specifically for 2013, I did the 12-hour that began on the evening of May 18, 2013.  Weather was:  High of 65, Low of 47.  (Good for me!)

A cold front had come through though.  2 days before on May 16th, it was:  High of 82, Low of 50.  

One good site to get any cities' weather history:    http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/search-results/   <---- With that site, you can put in a City, state, and dates... It'll give you the temps that occurred on that day in history for any year.  I used to have a link to another site that showed all of the historical 'averages', IE.  What range the temps will fall in 90% of the time for any given day and place, but lost that link...   :-)

Chantilly75

Thanks for the information, Hasher Rick, K L Duke and wcrunner2.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

On On

I wish my body was not such a wuss about ultra training, because I'd really like to experience this.

Which race would you want to do?  24?  48?  or 72?

I would say that if you came into the race in mid to top marathon shape you could do a kick ass number.  It comes down to pacing.  It is hard for people to learn to run 8:00s or 9:00s for hours at a time when they are capable of running 6:00s.

Feeling the growl again

Which race would you want to do?  24?  48?  or 72?

I would say that if you came into the race in mid to top marathon shape you could do a kick ass number.  It comes down to pacing.  It is hard for people to learn to run 8:00s or 9:00s for hours at a time when they are capable of running 6:00s.

I would do the 24.  But aside from being in the worst shape I have been in in years, I've DNF'd 3 marathons this year even though I was running them at easy pace.  Whatever is up with my sciatic nerve (though Monkey was hip flexor), the longer I am on it, it's going to flare up eventually no matter how slow I go.  I am sure I would be unable to walk in 6-7 hours at most.

If I can get through a full year without sciatic issues, I'll try it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

On On

I would do the 24.  But aside from being in the worst shape I have been in in years, I've DNF'd 3 marathons this year even though I was running them at easy pace.  Whatever is up with my sciatic nerve (though Monkey was hip flexor), the longer I am on it, it's going to flare up eventually no matter how slow I go.  I am sure I would be unable to walk in 6-7 hours at most.

If I can get through a full year without sciatic issues, I'll try it.

You could always come out so we can do an East Coast beer mile.  Smile

Feeling the growl again

You could always come out so we can do an East Coast beer mile.  Smile

I'd really like to.  But I travel a lot for work so swinging that when I'm not even racing is kinda hard on the fam with young kids.  But it's definitely on my list if I can get healthy.

On On

Bumping this up to talk about again.

There seems to be a lot of interest in the 48 hour version this year.  For the Men's side we have Joe Fejes, Phil McCarthy, Serge Arbona and Byron Lane all shooting for the American Record.  For the ladies there is interest but not quite the depth of past experience.

For those that don't know there are also 72 Hour, 24 Hour (can qualify for the National Team), 12 Hour, 6 Hour timed events.  For those that like fixed distances there will be a marathon and 50K as well.

Runners are able to start with any other race if that weekend doesn't work exactly your schedule.  Come up Thursday and run 24 hours and be home by Friday afternoon.

Let me know if you have any questions.  There is actually a chance that we will sell out this year.

All signed up and looking forward to the 12-Hour.    --- It'll be great also seeing how all the 24, 48 and 72 hour participants do as well!  Strong competition in the 48-Hour may be the motivation for one of the men to post a new record.

On On

Race starts in 4 days, Thursday morning at 9:00am.  That is for the 72 Hour, the 48 and 24 start on Friday and Saturday at the same time.  All races finish on Sunday at 9:00a.

I will not be posting updates here but will try to update FB here, https://www.facebook.com/groups/427920593937809/

Also, going to try to update Twitter, @NJTrailSeries using the tag #3DaysattheFair

Good luck to all runners that are coming out.  Make sure you say hi.  If you have never met me I will be at the timing table almost the entire weekend unless I am doing laps or drinking.  Sometimes I do laps and drink and / or time and drink too.