Ultra Runners

ATY (Read 190 times)

bhearn

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Interesting and once again I get a 404 error when I click on the links to Kouros' blog.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

I think you couldn't see the first link because (I assume) you're not on Facebook. The post was public, but I guess you still hve to be logged in.

But in this case, it looks like yanniskouros.com is no longer active. That blog post was from 2008.

For reference

http://www.atrailrunnersblog.com/2008/03/yiannis-kouros-ultrarunnings.html?m=1

That's interesting and posted almost 6 yr ago. Thanks.

I saw the post on YK's FB page (under "notes") sometime last night (benefit of time zone differences) and about the first half dozen posts on the list (which is what led me to the page). I was curious about authenticity of the page, because that wasn't the FB page that first popped up when I searched for "Yiannis Kouros", although eventually it did. Neither one is accessible now when I search. Keeps bouncing back to my FB page.

I poked around in some of his other FB "notes" - at least the ones in English or a translation. Yesterday's post was not out of character with his prior posts. It had nothing to do with ATY. I mean, it did, but it was not unique compared to prior notes.  He - or whoever is doing the posting for him - seems to have it in for certain types of "events" (journey runs and some stunt type stuff) and people. One I'm assuming was DK, but the other I think was a women (Italian).

There was an interesting reply to the note last night on YK's FB page by a Philippe .... (french, I think) about YK is certainly a legend but maybe YK bumped into a better runner this time (or something to that extent).

I haven't looked at the list this morning, since I assuming it's rather active. Wink

This could make a rematch in the Dome interesting - no bumps.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Kalsarikännit

Yiannis Kouros got a flu during a training in AThens Olympic Complex due to a very cold wind of that day.  

This is how you get the flu. It's science.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think you couldn't see the first link because (I assume) you're not on Facebook. The post was public, but I guess you still hve to be logged in.

But in this case, it looks like yanniskouros.com is no longer active. That blog post was from 2008.

I am on Facebook. this is the error message I got:

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Since the post was public, I'm assuming the author took it down when the comments proved to be less than flattering.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TripleBock

Yes - This is not out of character for the "Greek God" ~ Although his book of lifetime work makes him the best multi-day runner ever.  It does not make him humble or a nice guy.  Although there could be some tone and intent of meaning lost in the translation.  It would not seem unfathomable that he or maybe one of his crew would expect Joe to work with YK to make YK's race and life easier.  Remeber this might be written from a person different form YK's perspective.

I do not know YK, never spoke with him.  I have seen very few direct quotes from YK.  Most things I have read about him have been written by someone else that seems close to him (manager maybe) and they have all been written with a strong flavor of superior egotism ... maybe his manager / friend is very egotistical and YK is not?

But, I have seen and spoke to Joe enough that I am confident he did nothing anti-sportive.  Our sport is not like the Tour-De-France where the peleton waits for you.  Joe is have an amazing period of results (last couple of years) and I am sure having YK there was helpful to his new AR.  If he had waited for YK he would not have a new AR.  But by competiting with YK it helped drive him to a higher result.

YK'c comment about how his 24 record would stand for centuries might be true - might not.  But I think he misses the understanding of true messure of greatness = the ability to inspire others to results they would have not achieved without your inspiration.

It was humid for 8 hours last December (2012) when I was in Phoenix ... it rained 8 hours straight ... but it was a dry rain.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

I've noticed Mark Dorion - who has spoken with YK and had dinner with him - commented about what a nice guy YK is in real life. That's the only thread I've seen like that with direct contact with YK. Everything else seems to be indirect through postings.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Kalsarikännit

I don't know what to make of this. There was a lot of excuses there. One thing I thought of at the race is that it isn't easy being YK. He was the greatest ever, and now just like the rest of us, he is growing older. I was excited to see him, but once I did I realized this is not the YK that I imagined. He is now YK, the defeatable.  He has been discussed all week on the ultralist, with different viewpoints. Some say he's nice, some day he isn't, but the most important point made was that he doesn't have to be nice. Maybe we are too used to ultrarunners blowing sunshine and rainbows up each others asses all the time. He's a professional athlete. If he's not nice, so what?  He's not murdering kittens.

Joe is Joe. He has always been very nice to me and was very kind at ATY. He is also intense and I believe he would exploit a runner's weakness. There's a term for this. It's called RACING. He will latch onto another runner and keep running behind them. Does he take his turn and ever get in front to set the pace and cut the wind?  Nope. He has been criticized for it. It would make me crazy. He did it to Connie Gardner for a long time at DS24 last year. Did she let him mind-fuck her?  Nope. She's a champ and a mental beast. I could learn a lot from her. Is he a bad guy?  No. He's racing.

bhearn

Here is the (evidently) later version that Trent and I saw. Additions to what was posted earlier in bold.

Notes and experiances from the 6-day race
                    January 5, 2014 at 10:16pm
                    First of all we would like to thank Laura and Garry Jeanson for their warm hospitality prion to the race and Michael and Kimberley Miller (who also took part in the 72h race) for their warm hospitality after the race! We owe them great gratitude.

On the last couple of weeks of his preparation Yiannis Kouros got a flu during a training in Athens Olympic Complex due to a very cold wind of that day. As the days were passing his health situation became worse and effected a lot his final condition. At the arrival in Phoenix on Dec. 24, one of his baggage with the most important and necessary running gear (racing shoes, basic clothes of every kind and other equipment) did not arrive, resulting to many troubles, wasting time to look for the bag and putting the crew and him in a feeling of frustration. Having only a few days to acclimatize to the extremities of this period weather, plus having the flu going on it was hard to face all these problems without loses. 

Seen the track, the night before the race Yiannis was very disappointed as he realized it was bumpy, with lots of small rocks, dust and humidity all around the course -especially near the resting tents where was full of grass. That meant there is no any opportunity to achieve any high performance as he was planning to try to achieve. It is clear that if Yiannis knew the course in details he will never come to waste his effort for non opportunity of hi performance.

The organization was very good and the settings of the kitchen, the electronic control tents arrangement and WC were also well set.
                    Then, the period of the year with so much cold and humidity during the night and the heat from the other hand during the day time (that forced him to ask for ice to put on his head, in order to avoid sun-stroke) was not ideal, but not promising at all to survive from new flu and other illness created by such weather extremities. 

The negative issues did not stop hear. As the race started with so much stress and many goods missing from our staff, one serious problem was created from a member of the crew, who did a mistake in the dosology of Yiannis's drinks that even from the first day -especially after 20hours a huge edema was created in all his body and especially on his bones, joins and arms that he couldn't move properly.

Later on more mistakes from another crew member who was unable to find the specific gear that Yiannis was asking, brought him so much frustration and made him so upset that he lost his voice and started to get Pharigitis. After that, there was not even a single moment without coughing for the entire event. All these problems effected his pace and created a general drop of his running tempo.

Many times he was in danger to fall down because of the continues coughing and from sleep deprivation. Actually, it happens twice that he fall down.

In the last night a new trouble came as his nose was bleeding without stop for the entire night.

Despite all these odds Yiannis was focused to complete the race with maximum possible mileage in under such bad conditions for him.

However, on top of that he had to face something that disappointed him a lot. He never expected that the American runner will show such an antisportive behavior with antiathletic spirit, so that he was feeling pleased to see Yiannis suffering. Yiannis told him straight and directly all that he psych-out from his reaction: He told him that it seems he didn't had a goal to achieve in miles/klms etc. His only goal was to take advantage of Yiannis' situation to be sick, his lack of sleep and his lack of his running gear-as his bag never came.

His reactions and with the tactic running on his back was based on whatever Yiannis was doing. 
                    For istance if Yiannis had decided to stop on 480 mile mark, he would stop just after that mark, and, if Yiannis had decided to stop on 500mile mark, he would stop on 500 plus a few miles moreIt was obvious that he was happy to see Yiannis suffering and therefore he was gaining energy from that feeling with antisportive inspiration, considering Yiannis as his enemy and with only whom he had to fight-not for performance. Performance came automatically as Yiannis was pushing to stay up till the last moment, as he did.

bhearn

Joe posted this on the ultralist today.

I can answer the question. Yes absolutely I tried to stay in front of
                      Yiannis and get the win which I also thought was the equivalent of running
                      my very best. I also made every strategic decision I could to be the first
                      person to 400 and 500 miles to win the prize money.

I have no qualms with Yiannis disliking my race strategy. I understand
                      completely that it is super frustrating to have a runner maintain a similar
                      pace and not being able to drop the runner. My only beef is any thought
                      from anyone that I somehow took pleasure in any other runners
                      health issues. I wanted both of us to run our best--nothing more nothing
                      less.

Hopefully we can both give it ago again in Alaska in the Dome and both of
                      us rack up even bigger miles. Competition is usually what leads to great
                      competition.

Also on the ultralist, from a fed-up member, this haiku:

Subject: unsubscribe

We were not there
                      A sewing circle this has become
                      Remove me

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have no qualms with Yiannis disliking my race strategy. I understand

completely that it is super frustrating to have a runner run better than me.

Fixed

Kalsarikännit

I will say one or two things about the race. First, I never heard YK cough. Not once. On my first night I saw him staggering.

The course is "bumpy". There is a bump that ends up being called "Camelback Mountain".  Also a nice long rise when leaving the aid station. Both these are going the clockwise direction. We switched directions every four hours. I teasingly asked Nick C how he managed to make one direction all uphill and the other all downhill. It was an Escher staircase. The fine gravel wasn't fast, but I imagine that it is a bit forgiving. If I wanted to do a fast 24, there are faster spots. That certainly doesn't mean that this course is slow. It isn't.

I was hot during the day.  I got really cold at night and frost was on all my stuff. The temperature swings come quickly. It is the desert. Overall it was pleasant. There were no monsoons, tornados, or locust. I consider myself lucky.

Uh oh... now what?

The recent six-day, 24-hour, 72-hour, and even the beginner's level 48-hour have stirred more thought and imagination than most of the trail-100 meanderings.  I have read more historical stuff in the past two or three months about the six-day and pedestrian days of old than perhaps about any other running event.  I wish I had something to contribute here, but I just hope the interest continues and more folks learn what some of the tactics and strategies (the whole sleep thing seems mind-boggling to most) are during fixed-time events... also wish we could find a way to get to Alaska for the 'Dome run.

Kalsarikännit

The recent six-day, 24-hour, 72-hour, and even the beginner's level 48-hour have stirred more thought and imagination than most of the trail-100 meanderings.  I have read more historical stuff in the past two or three months about the six-day and pedestrian days of old than perhaps about any other running event.  I wish I had something to contribute here, but I just hope the interest continues and more folks learn what some of the tactics and strategies (the whole sleep thing seems mind-boggling to most) are during fixed-time events... also wish we could find a way to get to Alaska for the 'Dome run.

I have been reading some sleep strategies from adventure racers since ATY. There isn't a bunch of stuff out there from multiday runners, and adventure racers go days on end with limited sleep.