Ultra Runners

ATY (Read 190 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The point was simply that Joe was saying that he has no qualms that YK was complaining when the reasons YK was complaining was because, as Wrigs said, Joe was RACING. Joe did nothing wrong. He simply ran a good race, so why would he have qualms that the dude he beat is a sore loser. Joe is totally in the right. He ran stronger, further and with a strategy that worked. It is a competition and he played by all the rules, and he won.

Kalsarikännit

From Joe on the ultralist:

He definitely has 600 in him at a venue like the Dome however why would I invite him to my event after this? And to think I offered to comp his entry and look into the possibility finding $ for travel. There are other runners capable of running 600 miles that will be interested in this opportunity. The last thing I want at the Dome is a high maintenance drama queen event.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Ostrich runner

Ultimately, the lesson here is get a flu shot and carry on your essential gear. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Definitely looking forward to the Dome and getting to put people's faces to their name. Sounds like a really exciting race is brewing.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            TripleBock

If this a Joe F - Too bad he wrote it.  Not that he thought it or did it, but wrote it.

And WG - I would agree that at DS2012 Joe did use people as part of his race strategy.  I was not in the race as I was done early.  But I tend to not like people shadowing me / using me if they do not return the favor.  But if this happens, I just tend to take an unscheduled walk break ... hey its a 24 hour, I need one sooner or later.  So I could see this bothering some people, but as you say, it is racing.

I still like Joe and think he is a nice guy.

From Joe on the ultralist:

He definitely has 600 in him at a venue like the Dome however why would I invite him to my event after this? And to think I offered to comp his entry and look into the possibility finding $ for travel. There are other runners capable of running 600 miles that will be interested in this opportunity. The last thing I want at the Dome is a high maintenance drama queen event.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

SillyC

Joe is Joe. He has always been very nice to me and was very kind at ATY. He is also intense and I believe he would exploit a runner's weakness. There's a term for this. It's called RACING. He will latch onto another runner and keep running behind them. Does he take his turn and ever get in front to set the pace and cut the wind?  Nope. He has been criticized for it. It would make me crazy. He did it to Connie Gardner for a long time at DS24 last year. Did she let him mind-fuck her?  Nope. She's a champ and a mental beast. I could learn a lot from her. Is he a bad guy?  No. He's racing.

No kidding.  Runner behind you bothering you?  Well, you have a few options here.

1) Run faster and ditch them.

2) Run slower and ditch them.

3) Run next to them.

4) Call them on it and insist they take a turn in front.

Can't tell you how often I've had conversations on single track about who was going to go first.  I ran about seven miles of a recent trail marathon with a guy who was faster than me on the flat, but slower than me on the rock gardens and downhills.  We could have stayed all mad at each other for bumping elbows, but instead we got into a nice rhythm of trading the lead as the terrain changed.  I got in front for the rock garden and pushed him.  He got in front of me for the flat and pushed me.  And we both ended up beating our previous times on that course.  I thought it was pretty "sportive" of us.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

But I tend to not like people shadowing me / using me if they do not return the favor.  

This.

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I respect that perspective, but regardless, a race is a race and this is a legal strategy.

TripleBock

100% with you - In ultra, I really do not care if I walk and let the person go.  Back when I cared about marathons and we were pushing a head wind, after 10 minutes I would make a strong suggestion.  It the suggestion was not taken, I would have to ask myself if I was strong enough to surge away or I would slow down for 30 seconds or so, slow enough the person got frustrated and passed.

It is a 100% race strategy, but I get to choose whose bitch I am ...

I respect that perspective, but regardless, a race is a race and this is a legal strategy.

TripleBock

I still remember my 1st 10 miler in 2005.  Calm cold December day - Maybe 10 to 15F.  After about 2 miles, I slid behind a guy that was running a pace that was pulling me along on the edge of what I had that day.  After 1/2 mile he turns and screams at me that he cannot run with me hehind him (To his defense, I was breathing super heavy and load), he takes off and in the next 2 miles puts 40-50 seconds on me.  Mile 8, i passed him back and beat him by @ 1 minute.

I felt bad he could not handle the situation and I would have taken a turn in from if he had asked.  But it is not my fault he let me control his race.

This was also the day I had way under-dressed my manly region and frost-bit myself.  The pain for the 30 minutes post race was intense and I only had to learn that lesson once.

Racing is racing.

SillyC

100% with you - In ultra, I really do not care if I walk and let the person go.  Back when I cared about marathons and we were pushing a head wind, after 10 minutes I would make a strong suggestion.  It the suggestion was not taken, I would have to ask myself if I was strong enough to surge away or I would slow down for 30 seconds or so, slow enough the person got frustrated and passed.

It is a 100% race strategy, but I get to choose whose bitch I am ...

Yeah, well said right there.

I guess the other option is crop dusting.  But that's not without risk.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I guess the other option is crop dusting.  But that's not without risk.

Never trust a fart.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

SillyC

Never trust a fart.

And crop dusting is definitely antisportive.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

eloquent

But it is not my fault he let me control his race.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                                Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?