Ultra Runners

November RWOL Ultra Running Forum (Read 51 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Let's try the monthly format and see how everyone likes it. Finished October with my lowest mileage of the year, 100.2. Having my usual difficulties adjusting to the cooler temps as well as a chronic cough. Final race of the year, at least planned, is coming up in two and a half weeks, but I'm thinking to train through it instead of taper and look forward to next year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Good idea on the monthly WC, eventually if others agree we might drop the RWOL just to make it more inviting, but that is not my call as I was pretty new there,

I had 238 mi this month.  9days off! Usually only do 1 per week off (2-3 post race off) max so that’s a lot.  It is a clear sign I’m ready for some downtime.

Agree on the cold,and  with the dark my motivation has flatlined.  I want to like running in the cold and would like to do another ultr in the snow, but right now the rainy cold is a bummer.   Luckily I’m tapering.

I sat down last night to write out some pace charts.  It is the first time I realized majority of my 100 miler will be run in the dark.  Not tech trail so I’m not worried about that.  Seeing it on paper makes it more real though.  The most I have spent “running” so far was 17hrs.  Best case scenario is 7 more ours in the dark, and my races are not likely to follow the best case scenario (which is fine, that is what I signed up for).

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Had a really good October.  Ran every day.

WC - hope you get the gunk out of the lungs and have a good November.

Trailhound - nice job on the do it yourself 50k.  Those are tough.

BHearn - great time at your race, considering you were not racing.  Congrats on the ass award.  Been there twice, once pacing and once racing and saw what the winners were wearing (or not wearing).  No need to check out the link.

Fnkyhd and Drock - need to get to your reports and get back.

Berto -  Welcome.  If you were stopping for beer during a marathon, you will fit right in running Ultras.

Anyone doing anything this weekend?  I had a poor week, so I will just call it tapering for something big on Sunday.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Hi everyone! I thought I would say hi since I have been lurking here. I posted in the RWOL Ultra forum just a few times, since I do mainly marathons and shorter. I've done a 50K (Pistol Ultra Run, on a pretty flat, paved bike path, in Jan 15), and this May I did my first 50M (at Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival). I want to work in more ultras here and there, but I have a lot of races to fit them around. This morning I signed up (after deciding fairly suddenly to do so) for a 6H race next Saturday. I figure maybe I will easy jog a marathon or a little more (maybe with a few walk breaks), and then maybe walk/jog the rest of the time, depending on how I feel. I'm looking at it as fun way to do something different for my LR. After that I have marathons in Jan, March and April (plus some HMs etc), so not sure when I'll get another ultra in. Anyway, hi. 

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

T Hound

Slower but happier

I am self supporting (3 aid stations) the 100 mile race next week.  No crew or pacers.  Wondering if anyone who has done this before has any tips.  It is wide non tech and flat so I am not worried about not having a pacer.  My drop bags are getting huge though.  I am sure 95% of things I wont use, but a lot of contingencies.  Mostly to cover cold/wet weather.  If the stomach crashes and I have to do some walking/downtime it can get cold fast.  Any ideas appreciated.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Berly  - this weekend is all raining and taper.  I will likely go to the treadmill Sad.  I have gotten into 30 sec on 30 sec off workouts to keep from going crazy and also walk run, incline intervals.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Getting more consistent even if not very long. 7 today at what for me was a decent pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

I raced a 50K today! And finished. Finally got my DFL, after being robbed of it by two after-the-cutoff finishers this spring. It was cold and muddy and I drove through a brief snowstorm to get there.

T Hound

Slower but happier

RWD congratulations, you have earned it.  I would have complained to the race director about those people after the cutoff taking your DFL.  I think they are DNF.  Competition among the back of the packers can be fierce!

T Hound

Slower but happier

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

Weekly Totals

Treadmill Walk incline/Run - 5.04 mi 0:55:29

30/30 sec interval x6 - 5.02 mi 0:53:28

Walk - 2.00 mi 1:30:00

REST

Treadmill

10 mi@10min/mi with 30/30X6+3%walks - 10.00 mi 2:09:00

REST

Bemis 

Woods -

walk/run/moderate

pace  9.95 mi 1:37:07

Walk/run

recovery ro

Running - 6.12 mi 1:06:

Weekly training taper.  38 miles this week.  1 more week to go.  Spent way to many hours packing for race.  Got all drop bags packed and food bags as well.  Just need reservations and overnight bag and I am set.  Ready to get it started.

berylrunner

Rick

Posted too soon.  Actually had a decent week of 42 miles and 5500 gain.

RWD.  Congrats on your race.

Trailhound - Sounds like you have things figured out.  Even though you have drop bags, use those aid stations, and if you need something, don't be afraid to ask.  Drop Bag suggestions:  Make sure to place the clothing you want to stay dry in extra zip lock bags.  Check your light sources.  I have heard a lot of headlamps being bumped on by mistake and having dead batteries when needed.  I usually wait to install batteries or use a headlamp that locks off.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

T Hound

Slower but happier

Thanks for the tips.  I didnt know about the switch issue.  2 headlamps and 1 set of batteries each bag and 1 in my vest!  Ive learbed the hard way having to use my phone llight or not even having a light before, due to taking longer than anticipated to finish or forgetting to tranfer it to my vest.

RWD

Thanks folks! Here's my race report. Just a couple of 5Ks on the horizon and then nothing! Except I'll be signing up for the Marquette 50K on Black Friday.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

RWD - Great RR... really enjoyed reading!  Those cold muddy wet conditions sounded challenging - tough to know what to wear.  And of course, congrats on getting that DFL!  I was pretty close this year with 385 / 395.  There's always another race for me.  Isn't Black Friday like .... soon?

Trail_Hound - Good luck!  Wow - self-supporting 100 - I have nothing to put that into context.

NTS - Hi!  3 marathons in the first 4 months next year?  Are you racing them all?

Beryl - Thanks!  Like I say, I'm just listening and learning for the most part.  If I learn more about beer drinking, then that's a huge bonus!!!

wcrunner - Hope you're feeling better and getting more miles in.  This time of year is always tough.  Also, I'll be sure to pay attention if I'm bombing in on any national championship race from now on .

October was a pretty light month for me - 118.  Just building back up after Chicago.  Since my hamstring is still bothersome, I've been pretty conservative.  Ran a 5K race on Saturday, and as wcrunner pointed out in another forum and unbeknownst to me, it was also the USATF 5K Championships.  Doing a 2 mile warm-up, I was obliviously running along side of elite runners from around the country.  Well, along side for like a split second (their warm-up pace is a tad faster than mine), but technically, yes.  Finished in the fastest 3+ miles I ran this year - 7:33 avg pace.  Slow for a 5K for me, but my legs didn't disintegrate, so I was happy.

Watched the NYC Marathon at mile 11 on Sunday and cheered runners starting with the wheel chairs, hand cyclists, and elites all the way through until the sweeper buses passed by.  It was very bitter sweet cheering and encouraging those in the back.  They gave the biggest smiles of appreciation, but at mile 11 I knew the test of wills that faced them ahead.  But I love that spirit!

Obviously, none of this will help me prepare from my first 50K next month.  Hope I can work up to at least a couple 50+ mile weeks this month before the race.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

T Hound

Slower but happier

Pat Regan 13:01 at Javelina !  Zac Bitter second 13:52. Things are getting crazy fast.

Berto  I said self supported but it may not be the right term, the race has bunch of aid stations, 3 drop bags.  I, just I don’t have crew or pacers.  Technically self supported is like your own effort where you have some stashed aid  along the way.   Solo support being I think you take it all with you,

Speaking of beer, I just had some barrel aged Allegash imperial stout.  Wow.

One of my hounds got got into my drop bag, chewed a hole in it and dragged the contents all over.  Not even any food in there, just mischief making.