Ultra Runners

Advice Needed (calf strain) (Read 12 times)

Member Since 2008

Last Friday during a run, I sustained a calf strain.  So far, this has been the only injury I haven't been able to push through.  I had a dose of cyrotherapy and a sports massage.  I can walk with no pain but if I try to do an easy jog, I can tell something is off.  The question (s) I have are:

1.  How long should I wait to do calf strengthening excersizes?

2.  Will walking before I can run slow the healing process down?

3.  When I am able to run again, what should my base weekly mileage be?  Prior to the injury I was up to 24 miles.

Feel free to critique my running info to see where I went wrong.  And yes, the shoes went straight in the trash.

berylrunner

Rick

Sorry to hear about the strain.  Remember in your other tread I mentioned setbacks?  The trick to an injury is not only how to treat it, but to figure out what caused it.  Hint - it was probably not the shoes, so I hope they weren't good ones.  Pushing the pace is what gets me usually.  I will answer the questions of what I would do, not what you should do.

1.  I don't do strengthening.  What would a few calf raises do for my already overworked calves?  Running is plenty.

2.  No.  It will help unless the pain is sharp.  Big believer in active recovery.  Other activities that don't aggravate.

3.  Depending on #2 it could be a couple of weeks to a month.  I would do a recovery week.  Lots of massage, walking, other activities.  Week 2 would be adding the running in, easy running.  3 would be more running with some added intensity.  4 hopefully back to normal.  Any pain, back to the start.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Member Since 2008

Thanks berylrunner, sounds like good advice.

jjameson

How is the strain?

I've had a lot and it usually means a month off running minimum, at least for me.