Ultra Runners

WSER Lottery (Read 507 times)

Kalsarikännit

It's lottery entry day!  I am already nervous.  One of my favorite blogs (http://ix.cs.uoregon.edu/~thornley/conduct-the-juices/) pretty much has it down pat:   Experience the manic-depressive moods swings of lottery season which culminate on the first Saturday of December with either A) a euphoric declaration that “Today is the first day of my build-up to States” followed by a run much longer than necessary for a race still 7 months away or B) a trip to the pharmacist to buy $370 worth of Prozac.

Who is in?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Who is in?

Not me.  $370 priced me out.  I can run Hardrock and also (almost) throw in the Bear 100 (or Wasatch) for that price. Big grin 

The good news for those who really want to run it is that the high price will probably lower the size of the lottery pool. 

The King of Beasts

not me, but I hope to pace.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I'm registering.  Not sure what the odds are but want to run.  Would gladly pace if I don't get in.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Just entered

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Kalsarikännit

I had to go into my spam folder to retrieve the confirmation.  It turns out that sexy, single Asians are waiting to meet me.  I had no idea.

And 648 people have already put their name in the hat.  Crap.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm in.

(And it's up to 652)

Liz

pace sera, sera

xor

Well good luck to all of you.  I resisted temptation to pile on and enter the lottery because "all the cool people are doing it".  Instead I drank beer.

I'm resisting for at least another year. I not ready for the big time yet.

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Kalsarikännit

I'm resisting for at least another year. I not ready for the big time yet.

That's not stopping a good chunk of the entrants.  Click on a bunch of the names.  I guess some people feel that never having done an ultra except a 10:38 at AR50 makes you ready for this race.  That's just one example, I don't want to link to examples because that would be pointing specific people out, but I was kind of floored by some of the people throwing their names in the hat.  States needs to tighten up its standards.  I don't think it is ridiculous to say that this shouldn't be a first 100.

not me, but I hope to pace.

1+

Working on a California vacation at the end of June

xor

I guess some people feel that never having done an ultra except a 10:38 at AR50 makes you ready for this race. 

What about a 10:49 Dick Collins Firetrails?  Am I ready?  WHAT ABOUT ME???

(I'm in for AR50 in April.  I'll get that 10:38 yet.  Haha)

That's not stopping a good chunk of the entrants.  Click on a bunch of the names.  I guess some people feel that never having done an ultra except a 10:38 at AR50 makes you ready for this race.  That's just one example, I don't want to link to examples because that would be pointing specific people out, but I was kind of floored by some of the people throwing their names in the hat.  States needs to tighten up its standards.  I don't think it is ridiculous to say that this shouldn't be a first 100.

I'm with you. I don't think it should be a first 100 either. I have a complex about earning the big ones. But "earning" is relative.

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

who knows...

I'm in but I'm not holding my breath. 

"There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                              DoppleBock

100 virgin here ... pish posh

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !