Ultra Runners

September 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 33 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Slipping a little. Here it is after 10:00 AM ET and I'm just starting the monthly thread. Spending too much time tracking UTMB and ARFTA.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Slipping a little. Here it is after 10:00 AM ET and I'm just starting the monthly thread. Spending too much time tracking UTMB and ARFTA.

Went to bed Zach Miller first @utmb Walmsley third.  Woke up they’re gone off leaderboard.  So is Killian stung by a bee. Xavier Thévenard finished first a lttle bit ago.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Tollefson is also gone as are a lot of the top US women like Boulet. Cat Bradley and Kaci Lickteig are still running in the top 15.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

RWD

UTMB = insane.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

I loved UTMB, but I'm disappointed by the US showing this year.  Good for Cat Bradley, Kaci Lickteig, and Rory Bosio though.  And a few friends had good races there.  Not thrilled that the cheater won, after getting in a car at Hardrock and claiming something about the American and European race cultures being different.  When I ran UTMB - with its "no cutting switchbacks" rule - I watched many people (mostly with non-US flags, but of course because there weren't many US people running) cutting switchbacks.

I do think it's really really hard for people to travel over there shortly before the race and do well.  Rory Bosio won twice after spending many weeks there before the race.  A friend did well in CCC but he traveled over there weeks ago.

nOOky

One of those mornings that it's hard to get out the door. Speaking of UTMB, I have had enough points the past 4 years, but never tried to enter. I may try next year, thinking the CC only though.

The wife and I have been watching Boundless on Amazon prime, we are on season 3. It's an interesting series, lots of whining, but good ideas for some future endeavors. Season 3 has Rory Bosio and Hunter McIntyre in it. She seems like a tough, positive woman, he's a whiny little boyt that never seems to learn from his fueling mistakes lol

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

T Hound

Slower but happier

One of those mornings that it's hard to get out the door. Speaking of UTMB, I have had enough points the past 4 years, but never tried to enter. I may try next year, thinking the CC only though.

The wife and I have been watching Boundless on Amazon prime, we are on season 3. It's an interesting series, lots of whining, but good ideas for some future endeavors. Season 3 has Rory Bosio and Hunter McIntyre in it. She seems like a tough, positive woman, he's a whiny little boyt that never seems to learn from his fueling mistakes lol

Nooky:  I just started watching that, i enjoy it.

Seamax:  thats odd cutting switchbacks because it causes erosion and ruins the trail.  I would think with all those people theyd really discourage that.  I agree not getting aid thing outside aid station is pretty obviously against the rules. That seems to be the most basic rule of many ultras along with staying on the course.  Why jeopardize your race if your in contention.  Was he getting hypothermic so went in the car?   I could see that and then just tell the rd let them decide.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

one of the videos w/ run steep get high Jamil talks about that was second hand info - he wasnt totally sure of what actually occurred - but ppl were warming up in cars for safety at a race i wa in a couple years ago but they were just people wanting a finish and to survive it not elite competition (for prize money?). do utmb and hr have prize money? the law is the law and hey it's up to the RD. if they are a bad ref then whaddya gonna do?

as for one down here in the mid pack 60.8 miles this week and 5118' ascent. did a speed session friday evening after work and had to take it easy Sat. but the paces have generally come up. last week i felt really sluggish but this week my legs seem more elastic and strong. have been having a sore knee and felt really tight and sore descending this am but loosened up and finished 12M feeling great. going from bad to great in a run is such a confidence boost! 3 weeks out i need it. really need to start tapering. clean the garage, work on the bike, finish building the fence etc...

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Passed up running a 5-Hour race around a HS parking lot this morning to pace a friend for 3 loops at Labor Pain 12-Hour on trails.  So 15 miles and when it started to warm up and the Sun peeked through a little I managed to keep things under control and finished well aside from being tired and stiff.  And that includes over 1800 ft of gain.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

RWD

Passed up running a 5-Hour race around a HS parking lot this morning to pace a friend for 3 loops at Labor Pain 12-Hour on trails.  So 15 miles and when it started to warm up and the Sun peeked through a little I managed to keep things under control and finished well aside from being tired and stiff.  And that includes over 1800 ft of gain.

Hey, that's great!!! Glad to see you having a good result. That sounds way better than a race in a parking lot.

berylrunner

Rick

Around 30 miles for the week, didn't really keep track.  Easy miles with the exception of a 5k time trial.

Finally kicked the PF on my left foot and developed a problem on the right foot.  Stone bruising has caused some swelling and now I am getting toe pinch.  A little nervous about the race/event on Friday.  Will try to avoid rocks this week and ice it.

Fnkyhd - Nice week.  Enjoy the taper.  Big one coming up huh?

WC - glad everything went well.  Nice miles.

I followed UTMB.  Rough conditions.  Watching the start video confirms that I never want to do it.  Too many people.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyhd.  Your training looks solid.  Lots of miles / elevation.  I think you’re well prepared.

Berly.  I never know what to make of last minute injuries.  I do know I have had some apparent ones like the week before taper and then they never show up or matter in the race. Then I have ones that more or less just come in long races.

WC.  Parking lot sounds hot. Sounds like u made a good call and got a nice run in.

Last couple weeks I have been 45 (taper+ the 37 mi race), then 47 miles.  I wanted to do more last week but recovery, travel and busyness got in the way.  So kinda in a holding pattern.

My knee has been wonky lately.  Not pain just like an instability feeling more with going uphill or getting out of a car.  But fine running level ground.  I’m so stupid I know if I would just do some hip/quad strengthening it would help stabilize my knee.  I just don’t.  Kinda like I put off work until last minute and post here instead!

i have a 50 miler in 2 weeks, but more or less want to train through it, not go all out on, but I will do a rapid taper race week with just a. Few short runs.  Looking forward to it as already it’s getting cooler.

RWD

TH, did you see the Earth Day 50K RD is the new Kettle Moraine RD?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Fnkyhd - Nice week.  Enjoy the taper.  Big one coming up huh?

when someone asks "when's your big race" i always shrug and say not a big deal...well this one is the big one. a first attempt at 100M. knee is bugging me probably from the speed session on friday. no more of that for a while. guess ill just go by feel & dial in my 11:00 shuffle. i think trying to emulate your fartleks-for-100M is out. put up some sections of fence today and i am wiped out more than if i ran 30 miles wth?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

beryl - hope the feet hold up and you can get through the race.

fnkyhd - first 100M sounds exciting. Looks like a beautiful course. Enjoy the scenery.

Hoping to get in one more good mileage week this week before a two week taper for NC24.

UTMB - thinking seriously about a trip to Chamonix next July or August to hike portions of that. Hiking the entire circuit at a leisurely pace is a 12-14 day journey, so I'd only be doing sections on a week long trip. Besides some of the sections are difficult enough that the tour companies I've looked at won't arrange tours for solo travelers on them.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K