Ultra Runners

Getting a little discouraged. Thoughts? (Read 60 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Last year at North Coast 24 I ran my first ultra covering 49.6 miles in the 12-hour race. I was ecstatic with the results. This year I have had several discouraging races and even though I think my fitness is better, my performances have been worse. I can blame the heat for several of the less than stellar performances including a DNF in a trail 50K, but in both my 24-hours races I've had to stop after about 15 hours because of aches and pains. In the first back in May my right ankle was the main culprit. This past weekend it was my left knee. Other than the knee pain I felt I could have continued and easily met my goal of 72+ miles (was actually hoping for 80+).

I am getting the knee treated. It was diagnosed as patellar chondromalacia. I start PT tomorrow. Going into the race I'd been averaging about 41-42 mpw for the past year with a few weeks into the 60s when I included a race as a supported long run. Those included a 12-hour race (46+ miles), a 50K where I DNFed after 30K because of heat, a 6-hour race (25+ miles), and a trail 50K besides the first 24-hour race which I ran mainly for the experience to see how I would handle being on my feet that long.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

plewis

You shouldn't be discouraged. You are still a very new to Ultra distance runner.

I would comment that without knowing about your age or background your weekly average mileage seems perhaps rather low for expecting to do well over 70 miles? 45 miles a week might be the expected highest weekly mileage for a new marathon runner, to get them around comfortably but not especially fast.

Perhaps some cross training/core strength work will help strengthen the areas you are now having discomfort with? I feel the longer distances you run, in many ways, it becomes less about the running and more about the supporting elements - nutrition/sleep/footwear/stretching/etc etc