Ultra Runners

March 2018 Ultra Running Forum (Read 51 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another month and Spring less than 3 weeks away now. Looks like a few races scheduled this month.  Not an ultra, but I have the Naked Bavarian 20M on Saturday with heavy rains predicted for Friday. The trails should be fun to run.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

Bringing this over from the February thread, but berylrunner, I'm glad I'm not the only one who slept poorly due to the Olympics. Last Wednesday and Friday were extremely late nights for me due to hockey and curling and it took me awhile to recover. I only ran about 32 miles last week and 34 or so the week before (a planned cutback week). I need to get in a long run this weekend!

OMR

wc:  Thanks for the reminder of the new thread.  I know I would have otherwise forgotten!

RWD:  I, too, am pretty much the same way (with the Olympics).  And when they end, I don't know what to do with all that time!  (Good thing the Wild are playing pretty well right now!)  If I recall correctly, you said you are moving from the Duluth area to the Twin Cities.  Are you looking forward to it?  (I'm probably a lot older than you, and the thought of being able to live in Duluth is rather appealing to me.)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

WC - Good luck this weekend!  AT and Mrs AT will be joining you, but I wimped out and decided not to.  I wouldn't mind it for a long training run, mud and all, but I'd have to get up at 4 a.m. to drive there (excuses, excuses).  I'll consider the Naked Prussian marathon at the end of the month.

Now that I'm trying to wrap my head around this 24 hour race, I realize I need to slow down my LR pacing... a lot.  I'm still running them at usual LR pace for marathon training, even with walking breaks.  But I need to go slower and practice breaking things up a bit.  I'm a creature of habit, so doing things more randomly takes a lot of will power for me.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

RWD

wc:  Thanks for the reminder of the new thread.  I know I would have otherwise forgotten!

RWD:  I, too, am pretty much the same way (with the Olympics).  And when they end, I don't know what to do with all that time!  (Good thing the Wild are playing pretty well right now!)  If I recall correctly, you said you are moving from the Duluth area to the Twin Cities.  Are you looking forward to it?  (I'm probably a lot older than you, and the thought of being able to live in Duluth is rather appealing to me.)

Yes, I am moving to St. Paul in less than 2 weeks. I am going to miss Duluth like crazy, but I am also excited to find some new trails. We aren't too far from the Mississippi River so we'll still have some really cool views. I'm considering running TCM this fall since I will be living only a couple miles from the finish line, and I've never run a road marathon. It would fit nicely between Superior and Surf the Murph.

dhuffman63

Trails

I'm wondering is anyone might have a suggestion for a GPS watch with the wrist HR that has a long battery life (over 16 hours with both the GPS and HR on)?  My FR 235's battery is dying and won't hold a charge even in everyday watch with HR on and I want to get a new one before my March 50k to wear to that.  It seems that longer battery life ones cost a small fortune and have things I don't need like golf.

T Hound

Slower but happier

https://www.dcrainmaker.com Has good comparison tables/reviews.     A lot depends on your price point. Garmin Fenix 3 HR can do this but at around $350 entry point.  But you can charge on the go keeping activity running.  Not needed for 50k but if u get into longer stuff its nice.   Youre right most functions you would  never use.  But they dont have snowshoeing!  Vivoactive HR is about $100 cheaper and they are saying it has 13 hr battery life.  I can’t vouch for that but for its price that watch seems pretty good.

edit: i saw you said 16 hrs with HR and GPS.  I think you would want one that charges on the go. for that. I got 16 hrs GPS out of fenix3 but only did 5hr w hr then i shut off the HR  (Not in ultratrack)

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

I had a great week, 103 miles 8100 gain.  Breakdown.

Sunday - 4 miles, hill climb and descent on snow at a ski resort, 1200 gain

Monday - 9 miles, soft snow out in my farm field

Tuesday - am 7.5 miles, soft snow out in the field, pm 6 miles road at half marathon pace

Wednesday - 9 firm, but uneven dirt out in the fields.

Thursday - 24 miles, trail marking for a local 55k, 2700 gain.  Time on feet, 8 hours, plus full sun exposure.

Friday - 8.5 miles, field running, windy

Saturday - 35 miles, 4200 gain.  Ran the course checking markers and signs for the race plus some overlap miles.

So what is field running?  I scan my fields for pests, (gophers and ground squirrels), marking the holes with flagging.  Very boring, but nice to get paid for running.  Uneven ground training and good for the ankles although slow pace.

Saturday's run was fun.  Being out on the course with racers, but not racing.  Turns out, most of the signs were fine, even with wind the day before.  Treated it as night/sleep deprivation training.  Woke up at 1:30, organizing gear and travel time.  Started running at 3:30am.  No trouble with tiredness and the moon was beautiful.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I had a great week, 103 miles 8100 gain.  Breakdown.

Sunday - 4 miles, hill climb and descent on snow at a ski resort, 1200 gain

Monday - 9 miles, soft snow out in my farm field

Tuesday - am 7.5 miles, soft snow out in the field, pm 6 miles road at half marathon pace

Wednesday - 9 firm, but uneven dirt out in the fields.

Thursday - 24 miles, trail marking for a local 55k, 2700 gain.  Time on feet, 8 hours, plus full sun exposure.

Friday - 8.5 miles, field running, windy

Saturday - 35 miles, 4200 gain.  Ran the course checking markers and signs for the race plus some overlap miles.

So what is field running?  I scan my fields for pests, (gophers and ground squirrels), marking the holes with flagging.  Very boring, but nice to get paid for running.  Uneven ground training and good for the ankles although slow pace.

Saturday's run was fun.  Being out on the course with racers, but not racing.  Turns out, most of the signs were fine, even with wind the day before.  Treated it as night/sleep deprivation training.  Woke up at 1:30, organizing gear and travel time.  Started running at 3:30am.  No trouble with tiredness and the moon was beautiful.

awesome week!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

i had 53.3 miles and 3025' gain. two week till chuckanut, still holding my guts in with a special belt, seems to be working ok. scary though. will hopefully get more vert this week

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

awesome week!

Second that. What a week.

i bet you slept good after that sleep deprivation Berly

my week:

48miles

key workout 10 mi with 5 miles tempo @7:30

i got out on the trail twice.  (May have to change my name back to trail hound)

I’m so much slower on trail it’s kinda a bummer but it was fun. I’m going to do a 25k in a couple weeks and I ran the course this weekend and got a reality check on my pacing.  Better now than on race day.  

I start VO2 workouts this week, haven’t done that in a long time.  Given how I am on hills I can see some possible benefit!

next time I run the course I’m going to try hiking more hills with pushing faster on flats.  I know what I’m supposed to do it’s just sticking to it that’s the struggle.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

paul2432

Great week Beryl.

Here is mine.  Saturday was a little slow for three reasons, 1) My friend Dave ran 30 miles the day before so we took this easy 2) I was muddy in spot due to recent rains here.  3) A ton of climbing.

Wednesday was an unscheduled rest day, planned to run at lunch and then after work, but just too busy at work.

Friday was a vacation day, so I got some extra miles in.  50 total Fri-Sun which was good.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Feb 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 04, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                          Mon 4.9 9:08 Afternoon Run 0 strava
                          Tue 7.4 8:24 With some tempo @ 5% and some flat 0 strava
                          Thu 6.0 11:15 2 miles at 15% hard (TM) 0 strava
                          Fri 15.5 11:08 Rain Rain Rain 2607 strava
                          Sat 20.2 14:01 Long run w/Dave 4621 strava
                          Sun 14.5 10:09 Morning Run 2384 strava
                            68.5 11:21   9612  
                          dumrunner

I got a refurbished Vivoactive HR last July and really like it. It does indeed go for 12-13 hours and I have charged it during several races, including a 100, a 24 hour, and a 100K, and it kept tracking me as it was charging.

It did completely fail on me two weeks ago at the Hashawha Hills 50K after about an hour. Screen locked up and only came to life after I put it on the charger after the race. It wasn't that cold (upper 40s) so I dunno.

Otherwise very happy with it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com Has good comparison tables/reviews.     A lot depends on your price point. Garmin Fenix 3 HR can do this but at around $350 entry point.  But you can charge on the go keeping activity running.  Not needed for 50k but if u get into longer stuff its nice.   Youre right most functions you would  never use.  But they dont have snowshoeing!  Vivoactive HR is about $100 cheaper and they are saying it has 13 hr battery life.  I can’t vouch for that but for its price that watch seems pretty good.

edit: i saw you said 16 hrs with HR and GPS.  I think you would want one that charges on the go. for that. I got 16 hrs GPS out of fenix3 but only did 5hr w hr then i shut off the HR  (Not in ultratrack)

Pain is my friend

Last week I ran the most miles in one week non race week.  91 miles.

Mon: 8 easy

Tue:  4x1 mile repeats on the road.  The first 2 had some up hill and ran 5:55, 5:57.  The last 2 had some down hill 5:44, 5:43.

Wed: 8.5 easy in the morning and 16 in the afternoon at an ave of 7:15 pace.

Thur: 8.1 miles easy

Friday:  41 mile bandit loop race.  An ultra buddy puts on this race every year as part of his training for Antelope island 100.  Its call 
                              Suwinski 5ks.  It's a 2.25 mile road loop around his neighborhood. We use his garage as an aid station.  I was hoping to run 50 miles but the body said HELL NO!!

One more hard week and then taper.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

RWD

I am so bored with running right now. Woof. I'm just going through the motions of training without a whole lot of passion. If it wasn't for the weight loss aspect to motivate me I'd probably just be sitting on my butt. I have a 10 mile race on the 24th so I'm hoping that will get me interested in running again. Of course last year I ran the same race and it was like 32 F and windy as heck and for some reason I wore shorts. I was the only person not at the absolute front of the race wearing shorts. 

I'm moving next week so maybe exploring new locations will re-motivate me? I'm just tired of being cold.