Ultra Runners

answers (Read 656 times)

AspiringUltraRun

in answer to your first hurdle question, Dopple Bock, i think i can do up to two hours a day 5 days a week with an additional long run on the weekends once i get my schedule down.  until then i can only afford an hour a day with a longer run (2 hours) on the weekend

does that help?

as others have posted the course is not too technical and is mainly on paved and some non paved trail and pretty much all down hill (which kind of scares me)

smalcolm, i am actually in western idaho

thanks everyone for the info given thus far.   it has been a help

Welcome.

i'm planning on doing a 50 miler in june. 

and I'll ask before Trent does... Which one?

Welcome.

and I'll ask before Trent does... Which one?

Checking his Blog

The 50 mile Rainer to Rustan ultra on 4 June 2011

Big grin

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

Checking his Blog

The 50 mile Rainer to Rustan ultra on 4 June 2011

Big grin

I was invited to that one. Too bad it's on the wrong coast lol (how I miss the Pacific Northwest!)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

Welcome - We will always help the best we can and yes you can run a 50M!

*  Practice running on the type of course the 50 will be on (Trail - Hilly - flat) 

*  Don't be afraid to gallowalk to get more distance out of your training runs - Not all the time - But if you are going from running an hour to 2 hours - Walk 2 minues 5 times evenly spaced will get you there really fast

*  Learn how to eat / drink / electrolyte

I think your 1st hurdle is total weekly volume - How many days and hours per day do you want to invest?

What is the race?

I have a hard time relating to 20MPW - When I decided to stop being fat (300+#) 8 years ago - I started running 30 + walking 30 per week and quickly built up.

Another place I would seek advice

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/list/31

hey-

new to the group, wanted to get involved, and become accountable to someone other than myself.

i'm planning on doing a 50 miler in june.  i can run for about an hour no problem... slow, but no problem.  just wondering what kind of advice is out there for someone without a real solid running background wanting to complete a 50 miler that is 5 months away.

for example:

>what should be my weekly mileage increases?  i think i average about 20 a week

>what shoes hold up the best... asics work well for me but seemed to break down fast in basic and since then

-thanks

http://aspiringultrarunner.blogspot.com/

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The 50 mile Rainer to Ruston ultra on 4 June 2011

See you there!

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

DoppleBock

See you there!

Tell me about it - I am guessing trails W/ signficant hills - maybe between a 3-4 on the technical side?

Rainier to Ruston is a rails-to-trails run.  66% paved/34% unpaved in beautiful WA.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Are you in WA? There are a few of us in the area.

Here is a training schedule helper.... http://www.scrunners.org/ultrasch.php

Don't rely on it completely, but it's worth checking out. Definitely train on the terrain of the race. I don't think R2R is techinical at all so road training is probably fine.

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Tell me about it - I am guessing trails W/ signficant hills - maybe between a 3-4 on the technical side?

Miles 1-20 nice easy trails, not too technical

Miles 21-35 on an asphalt rails to trails path

Miles 36-48 a mix of trails, road, and sidewalk

Miles 49-50 sidewalk along the waterfront (Ruston Way) that was crowded last year

You're in the open (not a lot of shade or cover) for miles 21-50

As the graph above indicates, it is a nice (net) downhill run. Definitively has PR course potential.

Not for me though, I melted in the heat last year (see comments above regarding miles 21-50) Smile

the 50 miler was won last year in 7:05

SRL ran 50k last year and took second overall he got chicked

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

in answer to your first hurdle question, Dopple Bock, i think i can do up to two hours a day 5 days a week with an additional long run on the weekends once i get my schedule down.  until then i can only afford an hour a day with a longer run (2 hours) on the weekend

does that help?

as others have posted the course is not too technical and is mainly on paved and some non paved trail and pretty much all down hill (which kind of scares me)

smalcolm, i am actually in western idaho

thanks everyone for the info given thus far.   it has been a help

You should just reply instead of modifying your original post. Now anyone new that looks at the thread will have no idea what we are all babbling on about. Smile

Training for the downhill is a good idea... that can beat you up.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Kalsarikännit

Fine.  I will be the bad guy.

Aspiring, what is the big rush?  Unless you only have six months to live, I would say wait.  Ultras aren't going away.  Your base is very, very low.  Putting in a years worth of quality miles will make you less likely to be injured and it will make the actual race a much more enjoyable experience.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Aspiring, what is the big rush?  Unless you only have six months to live, I would say wait.  Ultras aren't going away.  Your base is very, very low.  Putting in a years worth of quality miles will make you less likely to be injured and it will make the actual race a much more enjoyable experience.

My thoughts exactly, but I didn't want to be the bad guy. Wink

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You are a good bad guy though. And I would tend to agree... I didn't even bother looking at the log. Big grin

~Sara

DoppleBock

No I would not do the same thing every day

But I do think step #1 is to just get more total miles or time running.  Maybe take 1 day during the week and do longer and 1 day on the weekend and do longer to start.  FYI - When I started back up in Janaury - I gallowalked anytime I went over 10 miles - I wanted to get endurance back 1st - Now I am not Gallowalking anymore - But I would rather gallowalk for 6 hours (Maybe 20-30 minutes total walking) at this point than run for 3-4.  I need to get my long run farther 1st - Than faster 2nd.

As far as that race - I would jog very slow until you get past the steep downhill stuff - But thats me and I like my quads and do not want them to leave me.