Ultra Runners

Ultrasignup Predictions (Read 684 times)

bhearn

I am a rules person, though, so I listed on my blog that I simply finished near the back of the pack at 92 out of 108, and that I was just happy with a finish.  The UltraSignup ranking reflects my back-of-the-pack standing at this event.  

Actually, no...

Correct me if I'm wrong but their ranking is simply:

winner's finish time / your finish time = UA ranking 

Right. Place doesn't matter.

The math does not work for fixed time events.

In a 24 hour race that's 1440/1440 = everyone's a winner.

But it's obvious how to get a UA ranking for fixed time events: your distance / winner's distance. The party line on why they don't do this is as WG said. But is is a bummer.

BenTN

Actually, no...

But it's obvious how to get a UA ranking for fixed time events: your distance / winner's distance. The party line on why they don't do this is as WG said. But is is a bummer.

I not trying to knock fixed time events. I've done RUTS (10 hour) a couple of times.

Since most fix timed events (except Silverton?) are run on a track or bike trail, why not divide your distance by the world record distance for that time. For most fixed time events, the course is not a factor, weather will be a factor but not as much as who shows up to run.

Gray Runner

Running Bear

The prediction time is just a number, but it sure is fun to smash the crap out of a prediction.  

Upcoming races:  
        Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
        Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
        Sweetwater 50K 4/12
        Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
        Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
        H9 50 mile 8/9
        Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
        Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
        Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
        Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

BenTN

The prediction time is just a number, but it sure is fun to smash the crap out of a prediction.  

LOL, That was a heck of lot of fun running with you at the Georgia Jewel 35 mile.

It ought to be easy to do it again this weekend at Pine Mountain. You won't have to drag me along!

You're going to have a great run!

Kalsarikännit

I not trying to knock fixed time events. I've done RUTS (10 hour) a couple of times.

Since most fix timed events (except Silverton?) are run on a track or bike trail, For most fixed time events, the course is not a factor,

I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I think the few that we talk about here are fast and flat, but a good percentage are dirt, trail, or rolling. Ultrarunning's online website with their #/# rankings would be a good place to check this out. Everytime I see a 24 in a new location I check it out, and it always feels that it isn't a fast enough course for my purposes.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

RunJasonRun

Actually, no...

Ah-ha.  I stand corrected.   Neal Gorman won Pinhoti this year, so my finish time was small fry by comparison.  It was great to meet him in person, though.  A truly good guy. 

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Duke of the Internet

I just noticed this change tonight.  I like the % versus the predicted times.  I agree both are flawed but the % seems the more accurate of the two measures.

Since most fix timed events (except Silverton?) are run on a track or bike trail, why not divide your distance by the world record distance for that time. For most fixed time events, the course is not a factor, weather will be a factor but not as much as who shows up to run.

We've got a 10-hr uphill race on a 2.4mi / 2000ft trail, take the tram down between laps (Alyeska Climbathon). Aid station is at top of tram / end of lap. Only get credit for full laps. The idea is to get the most elevation. (course record is 12 laps = 24,000ft, 28+mi) It's one of the most fun races with the greatest views from the top.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Trail Dog

Black Mountain Monster 12/24 is run on a 5K trail loop. It is my only fixed time event (I've run it twice). I'm sure there are many others but as a general rule I don't seek out those types of races so can't think of others off the top of my head.