Ultra Runners

January 2018 Ultra Running Forum (Read 57 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

New month, new year, new posting thread. I could use some warmer weather though. That seems to have stayed cold.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

breadnatty08

Though technically last month, I ran a 40mi fatass in Massanutten this past Saturday.  It was pretty chilly and about 1"+ of snow, which, on top of leaves and rocks made for some tough going.  I did manage to finish first so that was nice.  It was a tough day overall for sure!  But a nice finish to the year.  Found out this morning that I'm IN at TRT 100!  I also registered for Highland Sky 40 in WV in June which will end up being my last big effort before Tahoe.  Looking forward to a fun winter of training here.

Find me on Strava

Hello and happy new year to all!

Bread, nice that you're in for TRT 100.  I was waitlisted for TRT 50.  Haven't been able to figure out where I am on the waitlist either...  the link to the waitlist just goes to an alphabetical list of "applicants."   And there are 96 of us listed for the 50.    Will see if there's any more info in the coming weeks then decide what to do.

In the meantime, I'm starting to build mileage again after taking time off for various things towards the end of the year.  Have a 22k on Saturday to see if my legs still work. Assuming so, then doing a 50k in February.

Amazed at the cold temps that some of you have.  It's unlikely I'll ever be in the "more miles than degrees" club.  It was sunny and in the 50s for my little joggity jog today.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

Happy new year to all!!

congrats Bread on the TRT entry

after no scheduled running since mid November

I went for my first trail run of 2018.  its 2 degrees (-13 windchill).

So I got into miles > degrees club with 6.5.

Not running was so much easier than I thought.

The weather helps that.  I broke down and got a treadmills ll.  It should be here later this week.  I wanted to remove any barrier to running i could.  I also got A new pair of Yak Tracks ( but forgot to bring them today).

Fortunately the snow was pretty packed and runnable.  Despite getting a TM, i really love winter trail running ng,but coming home on a weekday and running in freezing dark road, not so much.  I really hope it doesnt turn into a $$$$ clothes rack.

By some black magic the REI garage sales 3 times now has had Topo shoes my size, so I have 2 Terraventure and one Gortex Hydroventure all i got for about $50 without any visible wear (hydroventure had all the tags ) and no evidence itheyd ever been used.  Also if they are used and returned there is a tag with explanation. The Hydroventure i took out today and really like. Fett very warm/dry.  I didnt plan on Gortex shoes but at that price its worth a shot.  The downside is I like to try new shoes out rather than multiple ones of tge same type.  But i cannot pass up a deal.  I also got Brooks Pure shoes (one of the road ones) on closeout for speedwork.

QOTD.  What are you planning to do differently in 2018 w training racing or just your running in general?

im going to try to follow a training plan (Pfitz 18/55) leading up to a 50 k. I gavent really followed any plans the last few years.  Hopefully w some added miles to avg 50-60 mpw.  Feel like i need a reboot.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Happy new year to all!!

I gotta ask, did you become Trai Hound instead of Trail Hound because this is the Noel season?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I gotta ask, did you become Trai Hound instead of Trail Hound because this is the Noel season?

Heh, I see what you did there!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

paul2432

Happy new year everyone.

Bread - Congrats on TRT.

My training for WS is officially underway.  First week in the books (I'm doing my weeks Saturday-Friday, this is 12/23-12/29).  As you can see I've started to incorporate lots of vert and I think I'm already noticing a difference.  We'll at the Sean O'Brien on 2/3.

Day Dist Pace Desc Vert  
                Sat 21.5 10:46 On SOB Course 5116 strava
                Sun 8.0 9:59 Morning Run 1351 strava
                Tue 8.4 9:29 Lunch Run 1459 strava
                Wed 11.4 9:30 Morning Run 1889 strava
                Fri 13.1 10:16 Morning Run 2558 strava
                RWD

Hi people! Happy new year. I'm spending my days on the treadmill since it's basically below 0 F here all the time. I entered a couple lotteries today - Superior Spring 25K and Superior Fall marathon. I still haven't signed up for Zumbro 50. I will probably do it next billing cycle to split up my spending on races - unless it gets full. Also that will give me a chance to see how my training is going. The earlier than usual frigid weather is bringing me down and some days I think running 50 miles seems impossible - or, rather, training to run 50 miles seems impossible. I'm also moving at some point and don't want to sign up for an April race without knowing when my move is going to happen.

drock69

Happy New Years! I ran a Fat Ass 50k yesterday, 5h31m, about 50 minutes faster than last year. Was easier this year without snow and ice, was just above freezing and sunny, perfect day for a 50k. Only 1800' of vert in the run, so probably the easiest 50k course I've done. Guy I work with did it in 3h46, 11 minutes off the course record

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

WC took me awhile to get that but it was worth the wait.   I’ve lost my L, how embarrassing.  If anyone sees it around here let me know.  I may just do without it for awhile.

Drock- -nice job, I’m so out of shape I couldn’t imagine running 50k like that.  You’ve kept up training well in the off season

Bread nice 1st place finish to wrap up the year.

RWD. Doing the TM too after yesterday’s freeze fest.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

wcrunner - Yeah, this cold streak hit quite hard.  Looks like a little snow, cold again, then warmer next week but with rain.  Gotta love winter.

bread - Congrats on the win!  ...and getting in TRT 100!  What made you pick Highland Sky 40 in WV?  Is that nearby?  Looks like an interesting race.

Gatsby - Good luck this weekend!

TH (minus the "l") - REI is my nemesis... worse than a drug dealer.  Went in during lunch, walked out with over $300 of running stuff.  Ugh.  I take it Pfitz's plan will change things up from your normal training routine?  I think changing things up is good, rather than repeating the same old, same old.

QOTD - Being new to ultras, I'm just trying to figure this stuff out.  Running mostly easy for now.... focusing on differentiating terrain (trails, snow, elevation) but keeping miles up.  Reading Jason Koop's book.  Keeping up with what you crazy folks do.

Paul - Nice running.  Looks like you have great stomping grounds to train.

RWD - Just do whatever you can to keep your aerobic fitness up.  Heck of a lot easier to start from something than from zero (which I've done way too often).  Good luck with your move when that happens.

drock - Congrats on that Fat Ass!  50 minutes is huge even with better weather.

Question for seattlemaxfnkyhd, or anyone else in the Pacific Northwest - are you familiar with or have done the Lumberjack 50M / 100K / 100M in Port Gamble, WA?  It doesn't look too difficult in the elevation and technical aspects, but I'm sure it can get messy if it's a wet spring.  I was thinking of making this my first 50M, and it's only one more loop for a 100K (I'll curse myself for saying that I'm sure, if I go for it).

I'm pretty surprised there are not very many (interesting) ultras in the northeast.  Maybe logistics are too difficult or everyone is more interested in road racing.  Strange.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

T Hound

Slower but happier

Berto. Pfitz will be new because hvent followed a training plan for awhile.  Im already thinking of some adjustments but i am going to try to be more structured approach.

paul2432

Bert-0 - Yes, I am fortunate to live in Southern California with trails nearly out my front door and many others a short drive away.  Plenty of nice weather to go along with it.

berylrunner

Rick

Happy New Year.

Had a good December.  Kind of fell off on the miles at the end of the month, but I am being careful.  I tend to get hurt or sick this time of year.  Looking forward to some longer outings.

Plans?  Lose a little weight.  Try to schedule my weeks a little better.  Forget about my pace.  Not going to get faster, I can accept that.

Bread and Drock - Nicely done on your races.

Paul - Great week with the vert. and fast paces also.

RWD - Treadmill.  Ugg.  Had my yearly max (two times) when I was traveling.  Good luck on your move, hope everything goes well.

Trai - Hope you find your missing "L".

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

breadnatty08

Bert-o, Highland Sky's timing is nice leading up to TRT, I've known a few friends to really enjoy the race and it's not terribly far from here.  Being point to point is fun as well and I think it's got some decent vert to it.  Looking forward to running in WV, still never have.

Find me on Strava