Ultra Runners

Relentless Forward Progress (Read 902 times)

http://www.irunfar.com/rfp

New book out by Bryon Powell. I haven't read it yet, but he was very helpful in getting me through my 100 miler so I imagine it is full of good information.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

I have seen this dude's name about 10,000 times and only now do I see that it is Bryon (diff spelling of Bryan) and not Byron.  Whoops.

Are you one of the 'many more' in the book?  Everybody likes smalcolm!

I have seen this dude's name about 10,000 times and only now do I see that it is Bryon (diff spelling of Bryan) and not Byron.  Whoops.

Are you one of the 'many more' in the book?  Everybody likes smalcolm!

Ummm no... at least not that I know of. But hopefully there is an anonymous story about the horrible gas pains/cramps I had at White River last year. Smile

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

Which makes me glad I signed up for White River THIS year.

Not that I would have been near you at any point in the race except when you tried to knock me off the trail coming down the first hill.

You'll ruin your knees!

I have been at events attended/won by Goeff and Krissy... don't think I will ever forget the image of Krissy finishing Hardrock (new women's record), leaning against the rock, sliding down to a sitting position with her back against the rock... and crying her eyes out!!!   Wow. 

That said, for most of us, much of what Goeff and Krissy have to offer in the way of advice on "relentless forward progress" might miss the mark slightly, as they are done, showered and well rested by the time some of us approach the finish.  Not sure how well they can relate thier experience to some of us who are still at it 12 or more hours later!  Perhaps that is covered by some of the "many more", perhaps not.  Still, I would expect the book to be a good read.

MTA: oh, and the gass thing... I have often thought that you know you're in an ultra when you hear someone else fart or burp, and the only thing that comes to mind is ... "wow, I wish I could do that"! 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

DoppleBock

I would guess collectively we could write a book for the average Joe - Not that we are average, but I agree it is a different perspective when trying to break 24 hours versus winning.  Training 40-50 MPW versus 80-100+

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Just got my copy delivered.

I gotta finish Running on Empty but I'm looking forward to this.

I also purchased DK's newest.

I really enjoyed his first two books, but this one? Not so much.

Maybe it's beacuse when I read his first two books I was new to running and found them somewhat inspirational?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

jeffdonahue

Picked mine up today at Barnes and Noble.  Plan to start it tonight while my daughter is at dance class.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just got this.  Had a nice chat with the author too.

MTA: oh, and the gass thing... I have often thought that you know you're in an ultra when you hear someone else fart or burp, and the only thing that comes to mind is ... "wow, I wish I could do that"! 

++++++1   Big grin

Although - one must be wary of the atomic fart

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

I've always called that one "The Peter Frampton"

Mishka-old log

I just started a subscription to UltraRunning Magazine. I'm so new to learning anything about ultras, that everything is good...but that magazine is weighted heavily toward race reports. I definitely read all of those, but I was wondering if there's another magazine somewhere with more instructional stuff (training, gear, etc.). If anyone has suggestions, that would be helpful. I'll look into Powell's book too.

I just started a subscription to UltraRunning Magazine. I'm so new to learning anything about ultras, that everything is good...but that magazine is weighted heavily toward race reports. I definitely read all of those, but I was wondering if there's another magazine somewhere with more instructional stuff (training, gear, etc.). If anyone has suggestions, that would be helpful. I'll look into Powell's book too.

UltraRunning is definitely mostly race reports. Trail Runner Magazine is pretty good. Not completely focused on ultras, but usually quite a bit of content there... a lot of the contributors are ultrarunners.

~Sara

Mishka-old log

Thank you, Sara! I will check that one out.

That said, for most of us, much of what Goeff and Krissy have to offer in the way of advice on "relentless forward progress" might miss the mark slightly, as they are done, showered and well rested by the time some of us approach the finish.  Not sure how well they can relate thier experience to some of us who are still at it 12 or more hours later!  Perhaps that is covered by some of the "many more", perhaps not.  Still, I would expect the book to be a good read.

I just finished this and thought it was a good read.  There was a lot of info covered and a ton of solid advise.  I'd say the target audience is a first time or relatively new ultrarunner, but even experienced runners would probably pick up some new info.