Ultra Runners

In race Fueling and Recovery (Read 55 times)

DoppleBock

I always used a combination (50/50) of Endurox R4 (Orange or Lemon Lime)  and Perpetuem (It did not have a flavor).  I found this combination very tastey.

That was 2012

Now its 2017 and I was checking out Endurox and it has been long since discontinued.  Funny the few remaining available on the internet and being sold at a premium.

So that leaves me with a in race fueling and receovery problem (I used the same thing for both).  I see Perpetuem is still out there (In flavors that are unapealing to me)

Thoughts for a carbed based runner ?

*  I either can put off the reality by paying premium $, but not having a non-flavored Perpetuem to mix the R4 with

Or

*  I need something new to try.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Daydreamer1

I don't really know anything about Endurox so I don't know what would match up to that.  Have you looked at Tailwind? I like it and will use it with Perpetuem  but not in the same bottle.

I didn't realize that they had discontinued the unflavored Perpetuem. I just checked and Hammer still has unflavored Sustained Energy. That is very close to Pereptuem so that might be an option.

FWIW, I got a new bottle of The chocolate Perpetuem last year and was immediately in heaven. Stuff is delicious, but then I'm a chocoholic.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I didn't know Endurox had been discontinued.

The Pacific Health website lists it as in stock: http://www.pacifichealthlabs.com

And RunningWarehouse still sells it: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Endurox_R4_Recovery_Powder_14-Servings/descpage-ER4R14.html

Which, of course, is not to say that the Endurox of 2017 is the same as the one you used to know and love ...

About Perpetuem ... I used to use the Orange-Vanilla flavor and remember it as quite mild, maybe slightly sweet but basically flavorless. It would likely mix well with anything plain, fruity, or vanilla-y and could even be chanced with chocolate or caramel.

But, it's true, all the cool carb kids have moved to Skratch, Tailwind, or Cliff Shot Hydration - low-concentration, mono- and di-saccharide drinks. 

Liz

pace sera, sera

Clip2 has protein but no electrolytes. It tastes not so good when warm or too watered down. Tailwind tastes good but is expensive. On the other hand, it is a local small business (Durango) and they personalize your purchase. Is it more tolerable at the 18 hour mark than mainstream sports drinks, Clip2, or Coke? Good question.

DoppleBock

I have clip II around, but sent a bunch to someone awhile back as it tastes no so good.

I think I will buy a couple of over priced cans of Endurox orange if I can and Prepeturm orange / vanilla and mix them ... I will get 4 cans worth of product and it will get me through mid-year if not fall depending on the amount of long runs I do.

Clip2 has protein but no electrolytes. It tastes not so good when warm or too watered down. Tailwind tastes good but is expensive. On the other hand, it is a local small business (Durango) and they personalize your purchase. Is it more tolerable at the 18 hour mark than mainstream sports drinks, Clip2, or Coke? Good question.

bhearn

I use Coke. Perpetuem is the one thing I've tried that my stomach couldn't handle. Seems like most folks these days use Tailwind.

Back when I was carb-fueled, I used Ultragen for recovery.

I still fuel mostly by gels and random stuff at the aid station.  I probably average 2 gels per hour sometimes less depending on pace.  There seem to be more and more cupless races recently and finding cups of coke or mountain dew is not always an option.  I have tried recovery drinks after races and really long runs for a couple years and then a couple years without and not noticed a difference.

bhearn

There seem to be more and more cupless races recently and finding cups of coke or mountain dew is not always an option. 

That really pisses me off. Western States has even gone cupless, FFS! Like the environmental savings of a handful of recyclable paper cups per runner compares remotely to the carbon footprint of their even getting there.

That really pisses me off. Western States has even gone cupless, FFS! Like the environmental savings of a handful of recyclable paper cups per runner compares remotely to the carbon footprint of their even getting there.

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed about it too at first but I've done a few cupless races (including Grindstone 100) and it wasn't that bad.   I packed a few red bulls in case I needed them but ended only opening one around 3 AM.

DoppleBock

I bit the bullet and ordered a couple of expired Endurox R4 cans from Running Warehouse.  I will mix the Tangy orange Endurox with Orange Vanilla Perpetuem.  It will be enough to get me through Summer and then I can figure out what to do.

Best Present Ever

I still fuel mostly by gels and random stuff at the aid station.  I probably average 2 gels per hour sometimes less depending on pace.  There seem to be more and more cupless races recently and finding cups of coke or mountain dew is not always an option.  I have tried recovery drinks after races and really long runs for a couple years and then a couple years without and not noticed a difference.

Not sure what being cupless has to do with mountain dew?  I've worked the Lookout Mountain Aid Station at Grindstone, and we had soda.  Many runners had cups that we'd fill.  We cheated and had some cups, too.  : )

Not sure what being cupless has to do with mountain dew?  I've worked the Lookout Mountain Aid Station at Grindstone, and we had soda.  Many runners had cups that we'd fill.  We cheated and had some cups, too.  : )

When you are trying to get in and out fast using your handheld for pop/soda and then refilling again with water it is not the most efficient.  And you have to remember it is even an option when your brain is not functioning.

That said, thank  you because you probably helped me in my delirious state because I do remember one aid station with cups and I gladly used them  Smile

DoppleBock

Just grab the 2 liter bottle and a little duct tape and your have a big ass mountain dew hand held.  I bet that might even make sense at mile 90

The King of Beasts

Have you tried Huma Gel ?  I can eat a lot more of those with no stomach trouble vs GU or other brands.

Cytomax https://www.a1supplements.com/cytosport-cytomax might be a good replacement as well.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Best Present Ever

When you are trying to get in and out fast using your handheld for pop/soda and then refilling again with water it is not the most efficient.  And you have to remember it is even an option when your brain is not functioning.

That said, thank  you because you probably helped me in my delirious state because I do remember one aid station with cups and I gladly used them  Smile

Got it.  We care about the environment, but we really wanted to be runner-friendly, so we did have soda in cups.  I will be working, possible captain, at that aid station (around mile 28 and again at 70) next fall, so let me know if you want something specific. Other than soda in cups.