Ultra Runners

New US 100-mile (indoor) record -- cert pending (Read 74 times)

Uh oh... now what?

Ottawa, Canada

John Olsen -- 11:59±, first 50M at 5:58, second 50M at 6:01.

That's 7:11s for 100 miles, first U.S. runner to go under 12 hours--usually certification pending.

jjameson

amazing

Chantilly75

Wow. That's great.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

TripleBock

I witnessed him running the 2nd fastest 100 on the track last year December in AZ ~ He is a great compliment of speed and endurance

Ottawa, Canada

John Olsen -- 11:59±, first 50M at 5:58, second 50M at 6:01.

That's 7:11s for 100 miles, first U.S. runner to go under 12 hours--usually certification pending.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Sandy-2

Wow!.  What kind of track and what was the distance per lap?

But I think I'd go nuts doing something like that (of course it would take me much much much longer). Maybe he went so fast because he wanted to get off the track.  LOL.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Uh oh... now what?

Wow!.  What kind of track and what was the distance per lap?

But I think I'd go nuts doing something like that (of course it would take me much much much longer). Maybe he went so fast because he wanted to get off the track.  LOL.

It was a 400m track indoor facility.  Louis Riel Dome --  http://ca.srichinmoyraces.org/2011-6-12-24-hr

I have done a 12-hour and an 8-hour on a standard (400m) track.  It is surprisingly easy to get into a groove, lock in and run.  Kathy's first 12-hour was a supply-your-own-lap-counter thingie.  Guess what I did for about ten hours.  She was after fifty miles, did a couple of insurance laps, and we went home.  When you say yes to something like that you don't realize you can't leave your seat for the duration unless some arrangements were made--and I had not given any thought to it. After a few hours I started saying, "She's stopping at fifty.  She's stopping at fifty...."

We have done trail time events, 5-hour on a 1.37-mile loop, 12-hour on a 5.375-mile loop and done part of a 24-hour on a one-mile loop that was mostly paved.

They are really a lot of fun, great place for many disjointed conversations as the time unravels.

That is pretty damn impressive!

On On

Jon's Race Report

Interesting perspective especially since I won't be setting any records any time soon.

pcaharrier

Uh oh... now what?

Why John Olsen Might Not Win Ultrarunning Performance Of The Year  [this is still bad]

bad link?  ..........aha.... He (or she) fixed the link.  Thank you wcrunner2 (in the meantime).

anon edit 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I find the "Why Jon won't win ultrarunning performance of the year" somewhat contradictory.  Jon's race report got a ton of comments especially considering it wasn't widely known he was going for the record until after he broke it.  But yet they somehow use this as a point to say that road/track ultras just don't gain public interest.

They don't gain interest on irunfar because irunfar doesn't publish anything about road ultras and maybe cover 5% of events east of the Mississippi even though they sometimes use skype to cover events across the globe.  .  It wouldn't have been too difficult to put a quick article about how Zach Bitter just ran the faster 50 miler in 20 something years but when I asked irunfar why they didn't put in anything about it, their response was "we tweeted about it".

End rant...

Uh oh... now what?

...  It wouldn't have been too difficult to put a quick article about how Zach Bitter just ran the faster 50 miler in 20 something years but when I asked irunfar why they didn't put in anything about it, their response was "we tweeted about it".

End rant...

Bitter's 50 miler was simply great, but remember... nowadays tweeting is considered in-depth coverage... bleah.

Being somewhat of a dinosaur I still enjoy all venues--road, track, trails, and was just exchanging messages with someone in England about how stage races disappeared from the U.S.  They have reemerged as part of the relays, sort of, but not the same.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I read that bitter is going to Desert Solstice in December to run 100 miles.  Should be good.

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)