Ultra Runners

Question for Those Who Have Run 50-Milers (Read 454 times)

Tell me a bit about your running schedule leading up to a 50-miler.  For instance, on your back-to-back long runs, did you do something like 25/25, 30/15, or would you do a long run, i.e. 30 miles, then a short easy run the next day, i.e. 3 miles.

I don't have the time during the week to do anything longer than 10 miles, and that's pushing the envelope, so all my long runs will have to Sat/Sun.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

When I did them, I would shoot for 20/15 or 25/10 type runs.  I almost never did back to backs that totaled 50 miles leading up to a 50 mile event.  If possible, shoot for the 10 miler on Tue/Wed, with the long stuff on the weekend.  I wouldn't think you should need a lot of weekends with back to back runs... just get the weekly mileage up there and play around with fuel and hydration on the 25+ runs...

You'll do great!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Like Lynn, most of my 'day 2' runs were shorter.  I just don't have the time to devote to really long ones on both days...

I also like the what I call "mid long" during the week.  Usually something in the 10-15 mile range.   Sometimes life gets in the way though. 

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hardly ever did "back to backs".  Almost never went over 20 mi in training - I find that the added benefit of running, say, 28 miles, as opposed to 20 mi, is outweighed by the effect on your running for the following day or two.  I tend to rely on quite a high volume of training, with regular runs over 15mi, and a bit of quality thrown in.

Before a 12hr race in April (76 mi) I was probably running about 60 - 70 mpw for the 8 weeks before the event.  I only ran a few 20 mi IIRC.  Result was beyond my expectations.

Now in final stages of prep for a 24hr race 16/17 Oct. (Goal is 140 mi +).  Have run most of my weeks at 100mpw + recently, again only a handful of 20 milers, but lots of volume, lots of runs over 15 mi.

My method suits me.  Others need the psychological confidence of having "long runs" in the bank.  Some people run a low weekly mileage (say 40 mpw) and run a v long run every other week (say 40 miles).  This doesn't attract me at all.  I definitely prefer the high volume with occasional speed work thrown in.

By running consecutive days of 20 miles (in doubles), with my longer runs in the morning, before I have eaten anything, I am ensuring that I am a) running fairly long with depleted glycogen b) constantly running on tired legs.  This seems to prepare me as well (or better) than doing a v long run once in a while.

As we are all very well aware.... we are an "experiment of one" so what works for me may not work for you.  It is simply a case of finding out what does work, sticking with it and then building on it.

Good luck!

Ultrachick

My schedule is similar to Chris's.  Mid week long run (Wed) 10-12 miles and back to back long runs on the weekends 10-12 on Sat, 20-24 on Sun or vice versa-whatever suits your lifestyle .  Try to find a 50k race or two between now and the 50 miler to get the 30 mile training run in where you might do a mini taper for.  Time to up the volume Leslie and I don't mean the volume on your Ipod!  Look at your weekly training volume (with your coach of course) and try  for an overall increase by about 10%.  This is what I've been doing over the years-this year bouncing between 70-80 mpw, last year was 60-70, the year before 50-60, before that 40-50.  Turn it on, Girlfriend!!  
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

I have a slightly different model but has worked out OK for me.

I do a Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday running schedule. My back to backs are obviously on Thursday and Friday, they slowly built up to 13/13 miles and this coincides with an increase in the Sunday Long run distance to a max of 22 miles. Like Purdey I very rarely went over 20 miles but as I do this sport for my enjoyment I sometimes went off schedule and found that we were doing the extra few miles here and there.

My schedule will be taking on a complete overhaul during the next few months as I take on a competitive edge to my ultrarunning now that the base work has been done and I will start Sat/Sun back to backs ranging from 20/10 - upto 30/15 mile runs.

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily

Thanks, everyone.  All this is being taken into consideration for when I sit down and talk with my coach.

Kelly - After my upcoming trail marathon on the 26th, I will get about a 3-week "non-competition" training break (plus a 10-day vacation!), then will start gearing up.  I have a 50k scheduled for Dec 6 (Desert High), will look for a short race in Jan to keep the juices flowing, then do a final 50k on Feb 20 (Hagg Lake in OR).  I think this will work very well.

I'm liking the idea of a mid-week of about 10, an LR on Sat and a easier run (8-10) on Sun.  This sounds doable without training completely taking over my life.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Thanks, everyone.  All this is being taken into consideration for when I sit down and talk with my coach.

Kelly - After my upcoming trail marathon on the 26th, I will get about a 3-week "non-competition" training break (plus a 10-day vacation!), then will start gearing up.  I have a 50k scheduled for Dec 6 (Desert High), will look for a short race in Jan to keep the juices flowing, then do a final 50k on Feb 20 (Hagg Lake in OR).  I think this will work very well.

I'm liking the idea of a mid-week of about 10, an LR on Sat and a easier run (8-10) on Sun.  This sounds doable without training completely taking over my life.

Yup, sounds like those races will fit in perfect!  However, "without training completely taking over my life" anyone out there besides me who's first impression was 'she needs to get her priorities straight' ?    Come on Girlfriend!  What else is there?  The Hubby?  The cats?  Work?  All highly overrated!  Gotta go!  Bye!

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  DoppleBock

I ran the exact same training as I did for a marathon ... nothing over 24 miles.  In fact I had run my marathon PR 2 weeks before my 1st 50 miler.  For me it is more about understanding pacing needed for 50M vs marathon.  Of course I run a lot of miles and often did a speed workout tuesday (Say 16-18 miles) followed by a long run wednesday (Say 21-24 miles) as normal marathon training.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

Caution!  DoppleBock's marathon training would make the average ultra runner faint.  His ultra training is another thing entirely....

In fact, DoppleBock's cutback weeks would make most ultra runners faint.

buzzardnblack

buzz

when im entering uncharted territory i slow it down, to finish my first 50 i think i did 5min run/ 3 min walk, my next one i was able to run more. i seldom have time to do long runs i just try to do an ultra aproximately once per month. i also do some bicycling. i did a century yesterday
                        <do all="" things="" without="" murmuring="" and="" complaining=""></do>

Caution!  DoppleBock's marathon training would make the average ultra runner faint.  His ultra training is another thing entirely....

Guess that means don't look at his training log. 

I agree with everyone that pacing is going to be a huge issue.  {heavy sigh} After my trail  marathon yesterday (), it hurts my brain to think about the 50-miler.

Kelly - . . . . . . Kelly, Kelly, Kelly . . . .

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

DoppleBock

I still think I have a valid point ... You do not have to be running 30-40 mile runs to do a 50 miler.

I personally do not buy the back to back stuff - "Learn to run on tired legs"  When I do back to back, its because my legs still feel good and I want to get more miles / another long run in.

I would rather see someone do one nice long run and then recover from it.

But I do believe that more people subscribe to the back to back stuff than my way of thinking.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !